General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Real Food" Athletes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-11 9:21 AM

User image

New user
Chanhassen
Subject: "Real Food" Athletes?

Wondering if anyone else out there follows the Real Food philosophy?! For those of you unfamiliar, it means that I rarely eat processed foods. The general rule is that a packaged food (bagged, boxed, wrapped, canned) contains 5 or less ingredients. (Think that's easy? Check the ingredients list of your loaf of store bought bread!)

I follow this with the exception of "race foods" ... like goo and gatorade... but I try to use them sparingly- like only on race day and a few days leading up to make sure my body doesn't freak out (nothing new on race day!). So my real question is... what do you use to replace these things? I already make my own energy bars, but I'm curious what others do?

2013-01-11 9:26 AM
in reply to: #4573700

User image

Queen BTich
Subject: RE: "Real Food" Athletes?

I'm about to find out how far I can go with this, this weekend. Doing a race and I'm bringing my own 'lara' bars, energy balls (dates, nuts, cocoa powder, etc) and probably a bottle of coconut water that I've semi-frozen. 

I'm a little nervous and hope it doesn't make me have to go to the bathroom too much, but we'll see!

2013-01-11 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4573713

User image

Comet - 2013-01-11 9:26 AM

I'm about to find out how far I can go with this, this weekend. Doing a race and I'm bringing my own 'lara' bars, energy balls (dates, nuts, cocoa powder, etc) and probably a bottle of coconut water that I've semi-frozen. 

I'm a little nervous and hope it doesn't make me have to go to the bathroom too much, but we'll see!

Good luck! How about the reciepe for the engery balls? would luv to be take some on the bike!

I mix a splash of (no added anything) 100% juice to my vita coco water, because of the the taste.... luv the benefits but not the taste, kind of makes me gag 

2013-01-11 7:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Check out "real food during races and training?" thread here at Nutritional Cafe.
2013-01-15 6:32 AM

It's not as easy but it's definitely a cheaper way to eat. My wife and I only buy ingredients as opposed to packaged food, it's started when we got married because our food budget was so low and now it's just the way we do things. Apart from bread because that takes forever to bake
2013-01-28 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4578883

User image

Quintillion, may I suggest getting a bread machine. I picked on up from Goodwill, good machine barely used for $20. Saves a lot of time, through in your ingredients and come back 3-4 hours later to a cooked loaf of bread. 

2013-02-01 12:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL

+1 on the energy ball recipe!! Cool!

While I don't yet have a perfect solution or gel replacement, I've been using dates on runs. I started out with just plain dates, but they run out pretty quick. So I started adding some honey and agave nectar to it with a little salt. That lasts much longer. I carry it in a Ziplok bag with a twisty tie in the middle to separate it into two "gels." It's been working ok. The only thing is that it is almost too much like a gel so I have to chase it with plenty of water because it is a mountain of sweet. I like the energy ball idea. I'm about to start experimenting with chia seed and some other stuff.I tried adding some crackers to the mix (graham and saltines), but the texture was weird and I was pretty far away from a "real" food replacement.

I try to do the real food eating as much as possible. For health and ethical reasons. I also try to do as local as possible, but organic takes priority over local.

2013-02-01 12:57 PM
in reply to: #4597609

PowerRuff - 2013-01-28 3:29 PM

Quintillion, may I suggest getting a bread machine. I picked on up from Goodwill, good machine barely used for $20. Saves a lot of time, through in your ingredients and come back 3-4 hours later to a cooked loaf of bread. 

good idea thanks!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Real Food" Athletes? Rss Feed