General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dedicated Ketosis Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2014-03-29 8:38 AM
in reply to: TheCuse

User image

East Syracuse, New York
Subject: RE: Dedicated Ketosis Thread
in my quest for healthy fat and low carb i stooped to a new low...sardines. better to be used as bait

2014-03-29 12:23 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by TheCuse

in my quest for healthy fat and low carb i stooped to a new low...sardines. better to be used as bait

Blend those bad boys up with some spinach, cream and water, call it cold soup and drink it out of a coffee mug. Then your living!
2014-03-30 5:06 AM
in reply to: BigDH

User image

East Syracuse, New York
sounds like something off "Fear Factor" : )
2014-03-30 11:46 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary

When on the diet I eat very few things. Two of them I am sure no one would eat. One is my daily green smoothie, kale, spinach, ginger, garlic, turmeric, celery. That is breakfast. The other is lunch/snack which is chick broth with coconut oil and cream. Neither tastes especially good but both are quite satisfying and provide me with energy.

2014-03-31 11:56 AM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Originally posted by BigDH

When on the diet I eat very few things. Two of them I am sure no one would eat. One is my daily green smoothie, kale, spinach, ginger, garlic, turmeric, celery. That is breakfast. The other is lunch/snack which is chick broth with coconut oil and cream. Neither tastes especially good but both are quite satisfying and provide me with energy.

I was in a pinch last week and didn't emulsify my coconut oil into my coffee and heavy cream. needless to say it floats. And I still drank it.
2014-04-02 7:04 AM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

East Syracuse, New York
I go to a diabetic exercise forum and a guy there drinks straight olive oil when he cycles...i would think that could have catASStrophic consequences during an ironman

2014-04-03 7:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Cuse - had to laugh.

DH - I've been known to eat some things people wouldn't touch, but I pass the crown to you. I love green shakes, but that's when I added an apple to them. Do melt a tsp of coconut oil, but I mix it into a cup of Diet Splash and drink it fast. Almost yummy. Mornings I add vanilla protein been my breakfast for weeks.

It is more sane to enjoy healthy food, esp. as done in Europe - as part of family and community interaction, but I believe this focus is going to get my body in a healthy state after years of overindulging and junk food.
Now it's eat to live/train not live to eat. Hope I can develop a healthier, non-obsessed relationship to food. Assume I will always have to stay vigilant though.

Have to remember how lucky I am to have access to so much good healthy food - we are quite lucky compared to most in the world.
Feel like I'm being a bummer. Must be because I only lost one lb. this week.

2014-04-03 12:11 PM
in reply to: sthoresen

User image

Leesburg,
Can I come play with y'all in the ketosis sandbox? I've been through Attia, Volek et al., and have been doing ketosis-type stuff for a month or so. In a grand gesture of freedom, I threw away the scale. I did, however, buy one of those blood meters. Anyone else do the finger-pricking routine to determine your ketosis level?

~~ kate
2014-04-03 2:47 PM
in reply to: GotBackup

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by GotBackup

Originally posted by BigDH

I was in a pinch last week and didn't emulsify my coconut oil into my coffee and heavy cream. needless to say it floats. And I still drank it.

I never emulsify. Just give it a good hard mix .
2014-04-03 4:40 PM
in reply to: Irnwmn

User image

East Syracuse, New York
i finger stick for blood glucose levels and use the pee strips for ketones...im sure the meter is 1000x better though!
2014-04-04 8:37 AM

User image

Leesburg,
Here's a question for you. After I eat, my blood glucose levels are always 120 or so (finger method). And my blood ketone levels are almost always 0.2 or 0.3. I track my food on myfitnesspal and invariably stay below 50 g of net carb. (I exclude fiber and sugar alcohols from the calculation.)
Attia et al say that a minimum ketosis level is 0.5. The only times I surpass 0.5 is when I have a vodka/soda/lime. (Alcohol, apparently, induces ketosis?)

Feeling great, mood is great, I can go forever at a slow trot, no cravings ... not so sure about the overall fat loss, however. I understand the dynamics of moderate protein (gluconeogenesis) and, like Mitzi, am a little confused about how eating dietary fat encourages burning your own fat. I do fat bombs from time to time (heavy cream, full test yogurt, mixed with a few walnuts sauteed in butter with a little xylitol and sugar free maple syrup). Try to keep my total Kcals at around 2400/day. Lunch is usually a big "foundation vegetable" salad w/ blue cheese dressing and either beef or chicken. Breakfast is a couple of strips of bacon. Supper is a meat and hot vegetable. Late night snack, maybe a couple of ounces of cheese. Pork rinds occasionally (have you tried Lawrey's microwave pork rinds? OMG.

Who ARE these people who burn a pound of fat a day?? I'm not gaining weight, but the body fat certainly isn't pouring off of me. If I've been doing this for a month or so, how is my blood glucose rising to 120 after I eat a meal of high fat, moderate protein, minimal carb? And why isn't my blood ketone level any higher than 0.3?

Any observations as to how to stoke the oven? I like this way of eating and intend to continue it, but would like to fast track the fat loss a little more.

~~ kate

2014-04-04 12:33 PM

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
I found a lot of the weight loss is water in the beginning, I try to keep well hydrated, as for carbs, I stick to the 50g not the net or anything, if it says carb its a carb. I know people who can stay in ketosis eating 100g a day. I know when I Bike and run I keep in touch usually with the HRM and try to stay in Z2, maybe Z3, and will occasionally do interval stuff, but find I lose high end output in ketosis. HRM might be the best tool to train with, you can do one of the field tests, Joe Friel has one, but well worth knowing where you can perform and do a little math, but I don't think you can burn ketones in an anaerobic state, you shift to glycogen stores if I am not mistaken.

For the Glucose hitting 120, what are you eating, are you consuming hidden carbs? Starchy veggies, root veggies, legumes? Do you only eat when you're hungry? There is a shift there, and the induction phase is a beast for a lot of people, the headache and brain fog are nasty. You might want to drop the total carbs to a atkins induction model or maybe an AIP (auto immune protocol) diet and slowly add things back in.

Ketosis is a in or out type thing for the most part, you are either using ketones or not. You body loves ketones, but will be lazy and consume glucose if present, if you are consuming food that have carbs, keep to the low Glycemic foods as they keep the sugar from surging.

I have been hearing and reading more and more that weight loss if that's your goal is better achieved through HITT work, the cardio won't hurt it, but I think you need the body to replenish the Glycogen stores via gluconeogenesis preferably for the fat stores, it has been a long time since biochem. this would lead to the next question of protein and amount, I keep mine to ~ 100g. Its a self experiment type thing, the last thing is the vodka soda, once a week might knock you out of ketosis, even though you produce ketones, its how you feel that ultimately says how you're doing.
2014-04-04 5:39 PM

User image

East Syracuse, New York
How long after you eat are BG levels 120? and is 50g for the whole day? 120 is pretty high for a non diabetic on 50g/day and a lot of exercise. Check Your BG in the morning before you eat and let me know what it is.
2014-04-09 10:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Kate, sounds to me like you are on a maintenance diet. 50 gms carbs and 2400 cals seem high to me. Is this a decrease from you regular cals?

I'm keeping my net carbs at 20-24 gms/day and cals under 1100. Comes out to 15% carbs, with fat and protein at about 40% each (some days my protein is higher.
I'm losing about 2lbs a week. It's amazing I have never been able to control my food and eat this low amount. Don't have hunger (nothing I can't handle) and no cravings. If I'm hungry I'll have a cheese stick, 8 almonds, or a 100 cal EAS low carb drink (2.5gms fat, 1 or 2gms carbs and 17 gms. protein). Have been able to run 20-25 mins on treadmill and do 45 mins. on stationary bike.

This is obviously not maintainable, but have been doing it for 2 months - down 17 lbs., 10 more to go to be in the normal weight range. I'll slowly add in some carbs, never back to what I ate before. I'll slowly add some oatmeal, fruit, low carb breads, muffins (found Solom's Low-Carb Baking and Dessert Cookbook).

Mitzi

2014-04-10 6:47 AM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
No weight loss this week. I know the argument that you have to eat enough calories to lose, but people do starve to death (not making light of it) so at some point the body just can't hold onto it's reserves. Not moving my body burns 1400 and I'm up and moving around. Lots of people worry about not getting enough calories and I don't see them losing weight, so I'm going to hang in there and hope that the weight will start coming off next week, the week after? I'll have to reevaluate then.
I do give myself up to 1250 on days I'm working out, which I haven't been doing enough of considering my training plan was to start this month.
I'm disappointed - I've been so strict.

Kate, another trick that worked for me (ignoring this weeks disappointment) is an evening snack of a cup of diet Tropical Splash (10cals.) with a teaspoon of melted coconut oil - 50 calories and it keeps the hunger away.
2014-04-11 4:45 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by Irnwmn

Here's a question for you. After I eat, my blood glucose levels are always 120 or so (finger method). And my blood ketone levels are almost always 0.2 or 0.3. I track my food on myfitnesspal and invariably stay below 50 g of net carb. (I exclude fiber and sugar alcohols from the calculation.)
Attia et al say that a minimum ketosis level is 0.5. The only times I surpass 0.5 is when I have a vodka/soda/lime. (Alcohol, apparently, induces ketosis?)

Feeling great, mood is great, I can go forever at a slow trot, no cravings ... not so sure about the overall fat loss, however. I understand the dynamics of moderate protein (gluconeogenesis) and, like Mitzi, am a little confused about how eating dietary fat encourages burning your own fat. I do fat bombs from time to time (heavy cream, full test yogurt, mixed with a few walnuts sauteed in butter with a little xylitol and sugar free maple syrup). Try to keep my total Kcals at around 2400/day. Lunch is usually a big "foundation vegetable" salad w/ blue cheese dressing and either beef or chicken. Breakfast is a couple of strips of bacon. Supper is a meat and hot vegetable. Late night snack, maybe a couple of ounces of cheese. Pork rinds occasionally (have you tried Lawrey's microwave pork rinds? OMG.

Who ARE these people who burn a pound of fat a day?? I'm not gaining weight, but the body fat certainly isn't pouring off of me. If I've been doing this for a month or so, how is my blood glucose rising to 120 after I eat a meal of high fat, moderate protein, minimal carb? And why isn't my blood ketone level any higher than 0.3?

Any observations as to how to stoke the oven? I like this way of eating and intend to continue it, but would like to fast track the fat loss a little more.

~~ kate

I think the big foundation vegetable salad with blue cheese salad dressing and beef or chicken is a mistake. True, Attia eats a salad as big as his head, but the guy works out like a beast and it is his first meal of the day. That salad has very little fat in relation to protein, I would guess. I will have a big salad for lunch here and there and I immediately feel an energy boost. I don't have a blood monitor but I am sure that salad pushes me a bit out of ketosis, or prevents me from staying deep. Also, a big salad for lunch leads to slight hunger pains that I do not get if I stick to just lettuce, or better yet nothing. If you want to eat that salad best do it near your workout and you probably will find minimal effects.

I don't know how to stoke the oven. I haven't seen huge weight loss. But I am lifting. Are you lifting weights, that might help actually. Lift something heavy.

2014-04-11 5:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Kate - the idea is to get carbs so low that your body depletes them and has to turn to fat for fuel - ketosis. I used strips from the drug store that you pee on and it changes color depending on whether you have ketones in your urine, by product of fat burning. I'm happy that I'm not in a crazy hungry from crazy carb spikes, guessing I'm not too hungry as I've got lbs and lbs of fat to use for fuel.

Your body will also convert protein to a fuel source so you have to eat enough not to lose muscle, still not sure when the body goes for the fat vs. the protein.

How is it going?
2014-04-26 5:52 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Anyone care to share some recipes? I know some of you have to eat more than smoothies, sardines, and coconut oil

I hopped off the low carb wagon about a month or two ago (after losing 15 lbs on it - yay!) and have gained 5ish back. Not a huge deal, but with race season starting I'm looking to get back down to my ideal race weight.

Eggs sounded repulsive yesterday morning. Going to add some green salsa next time to see if that helps.
Ham and sometimes chicken don't sound appetizing since a few weeks ago when that was the last meal I ate before getting a 24-hour bug where I vomited 20+ times. It's turning my stomach right now thinking about the ham.
Burgers are cool, but I can't do them every day.
I was vegetarian for 8ish years so meats sometimes just don't sound good. Bad for this diet eh?
Salads always sound good but rarely leave me satisfied without a crap ton of meat on them.

So - whatcha guys been eating? I need ideas. Clearly.

2014-04-28 11:26 AM
in reply to: lisac957

User image

Veteran
Gatineau, Quebec
Originally posted by lisac957

Anyone care to share some recipes? I know some of you have to eat more than smoothies, sardines, and coconut oil

I hopped off the low carb wagon about a month or two ago (after losing 15 lbs on it - yay!) and have gained 5ish back. Not a huge deal, but with race season starting I'm looking to get back down to my ideal race weight.

Eggs sounded repulsive yesterday morning. Going to add some green salsa next time to see if that helps.
Ham and sometimes chicken don't sound appetizing since a few weeks ago when that was the last meal I ate before getting a 24-hour bug where I vomited 20+ times. It's turning my stomach right now thinking about the ham.
I was vegetarian for 8ish years so meats sometimes just don't sound good. Bad for this diet eh?
Salads always sound good but rarely leave me satisfied without a crap ton of meat on them.

This is one of the best site I've found recipes wise. She has managed to come up with recipes for the carb style meals we all enjoyed at some point.

http://www.gourmetgirlcooks.com/
2014-04-28 2:13 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

That's why I almost never get a salad when I go out to eat. The salads you get in restaurants are usually so weak that it doesnt fill me up at all, but like you I dont want a ton of meat on then. These days I make my own salad every day at work , and its usually something like this: mixed greens, sun dried tomatoes, crumbled goat cheese, lots of nuts, berries, hummus, maybe some cottage cheese. Or if I get fancy I make my own veggie patties to throw on top, mostly out of either black beans or chick peas, mashed up with some vital wheat gluten and mixed chopped vegetables. That definitely increases the fullness factor without adding any meat on.
2014-04-28 9:37 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Looking forward to trying some of the Gourmet Girl recipes.

I like chocolate cookie dough Quest Bar - lots of protein and 4 net g carb. Doesn't seem to set me craving carbs.

Have discovered Tofu Shirataki Noodles, 4 oz = 10 cals, 1 gm carb - don't taste great and still not doing tomato sauce, but works in a broth with shrimp and broccoli and sugar free asian sauces. Get it in produce section of supermarket, with the tofu.

Noticed that tempah is low in carbs, will try a stir fry.

snacks = cheese stick, hard boiled egg, almonds, EAS low carb protein drink - 100 cal. 17g P, 1 or 2 g carbs

Now that I'm working out again I will have 1/6 of a Powerbar or Zone bar before a workout and 1/6 after (about 7-8 g carb each). That gets me up to 35 gm/day. Not sure if I need that or not.

2014-05-01 12:12 AM

User image

Veteran
I've been on it for 1 1/2 years now, started due to Diabetes Type 1 problem, the diet solved my health problem and started to enjoy some performance benefits too, went sub 1h sprint on no carbs, my background is Ironman with a 8H50 PB.

I beleive most people in this forum would benefit from it. Just did a podcast on Training and the Ketogenic diet, was released today: http://www.innerfight.com/podcast107/

Enjoy your training,

2014-05-02 10:54 AM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Originally posted by lisac957

The thing about this diet is that you don't need to eat. So there is no reason to cook.

I am a fan of a low carb Mug Cake http://www.ruled.me/keto-chocolate-cake-mug/that is a complicated recipe, but really, just an egg, some cream some baking powder and some cocoa powder and you are rocking it.

I am not sure what I would do without my salami. I eat 100 grams a day. I think I would be looking to a high fat nut if I was a vegetarian. But at the same time, you need to keep your protein intake low so I don't really see being a veggie to hamper much.

IF you need a salad, my wife made one this week. Man it was good. Parsley and purple cabbage and red peppers. For a dressing she used a tai peanut sauce. Throw in some butter and you have a tasty keto meal and the peanut butter fills you up. Also, make a dressing out of avocados, just blend those bad boys up and pour it on.

In a pinch I throw some spinach on a plate, crack some eggs on it, cover it with cheese, and microwave it.

This probably wasn't super helpful, but consider trying to come from the direction of eating to live rather than living to eat.

2014-05-07 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Really fell off the wagon. Spent the weekend in Virginia Beach at a Cheer competition (daughters team came in 1st place). Managed to order meals without the bread or wraps, but lost it on the bus coming home. Hungry, no food, ate crackers...the last two days I've been eating (in secret so family doesn't get disappointed in me) Snickers, ice cream, fast food burgers.
I can't believe what a problem I have with carbs. Not even enjoying them much, feeling bad about myself.

Trying to take it as a lesson learned. I was doing well for two months and am telling myself that I will do well again for the next two months. Can't worry about a maintenance plan yet. Still have 10-15 lbs to lose. Did go for a run and can really feel the difference those 18 lbs. made in my ability move.
2014-05-11 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Sugar alcohols are evil!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dedicated Ketosis Thread Rss Feed  

of 15