General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FIRST BIKE - Felt DA3 or B10 Di2 ??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-12 6:25 PM

User image

Subject: FIRST BIKE - Felt DA3 or B10 Di2 ???

Looking for a little advice for my first tri bike. The Felts fit me very well and I've found great sale prices on 2012 carry-overs: the DA3 for $3,200 and the B10 with Di2 for $2,800.

Yes I'm sure some of you are thinking that I might be crazy for investing so much in my first bike. HOWEVER, I've been processing this idea for about a year now while working on training and cutting weight (I'm now under 180lbs from 240lbs) and simultaneously have been putting 5% of my paycheck into a separate account for about 16 months solely for the expenses of triathlon.

I know the DA3 is a better and more aerodynamic frame but I am also aware that most triathletes train on road bikes and only race on their TT. SO MY QUESTION IS: Would the Di2 of the B10 be worth purchasing over the DA3 because it will be my only bike for indoor and outdoor training as well as racing??? I live in MN so the availability of shifting from either position due to various hills and pedestrian traffic on outdoor trails is what has me pondering...

Thanks in advance for your input.

DA3

B10 Di2

Edited by skubi013 2013-01-12 6:26 PM

2013-01-12 6:57 PM
in reply to: #4575473

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: FIRST BIKE - Felt DA3 or B10 Di2 ???
skubi013 - 2013-01-12 4:25 PM

" Would the Di2 of the B10 be worth purchasing over the DA3 because it will be my only bike for indoor and outdoor training as well as racing??? "

Wow - great prices.

you asked the perfect question.  the answer is a clear and resounding YES.  As the owner of a B10, I concede that the new DA frame is slipperier and would, all other things equal, get you to the finish line sooner on race day.  But- there's a reason why people need two bikes, one for every day riding/group riding, and then their race bike.  it's because they don't have Di2 with dual position shifting.

I spent this summer doing group rides on my B10 and it worked out great.  i stayed on the bullhorns whenever in the group- where I had shift buttons and brakes, just like any road bike.  Nobody complained, as I was in the same riding position as they were with the same ability to control.  Then, when the group spread out, or if I got dropped off the back or I wanted to catch a breakaway- to aero I would go and it made a huge difference.  If you're going to have one bike for racing and training, having Di2 is your ticket.  I'd also contend that just having Di2 will make you FASTER.  I have, on more than one occasion, pulled away from other riders when cresting a hill as I was able to shift both chainring and cassette simultaneously from the bullhorns, and then continue shifting as I transitioned back to aero over the top of the hill.  It's an amazing thing that you can do with Di2.  

The B10 frame, at least at my weight (135lbs) is a terrific balance of comfort and stiffness.  At no point does it feel flexible or sluggish, yet it eats up road vibration making it a wonderful steed for the long haul.  This bike is made to go 112 miles.   Another advantage of the B10 is that it has a regular, easy to service head set.  Just like any other bike.  the DA's headset is unique, and if you need to do anything with it, you need to have a mechanic that has been property Felt-trained.  (from what I hear).  

That said- the DA is a superbike.  it's right up there with the fastest bikes on the market and it has a great look.  there's no getting away from that.  Theoretically, you could save your money, find a good deal and slap ultegra Di2 on it at some point in the future.  Then again, in a couple years you can find a DA or other superbike frame for sale, and move your Di2 over to it.  

the B10 for $2800 is a steal.  Grab it.  it will do exactly what you want it for.

oh, and then report back and lemme' know how you like it.

2013-01-12 9:03 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
Just to make it more difficult...I have a DA4 and frickin love it. LOVE it.

I have a custom Cannondale road bike that I roll once in a while but I do 98% of my training on the DA.

Your not gonna lose by getting one over the other. But as was mentioned, the DA's have an integrated headset system and that needs a Felt mechanic to deal with if it needs tightening. Any other super bike and its the same, they all have propriotary fork/stem/headset systems. This just gives me yet another cheap excuse to go to my fave bike shop!

Edited by LittleCat 2013-01-12 9:10 PM
2013-01-13 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4575612

User image

Thanks a lot LittleCat......Undecided

Now you have me considering the DA4 and just adding the Di2 for an extra $1,200. The DA3 and DA4 are the same frame with different paint and components correct?

2013-01-13 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4575931

User image

Pro
skubi013 - 2013-01-13 7:48 AM

Thanks a lot LittleCat......Undecided

Now you have me considering the DA4 and just adding the Di2 for an extra $1,200. The DA3 and DA4 are the same frame with different paint and components correct?

Yes- correct.  well, that would certainly be the trick setup, and one of the least expensive ways to get a superbike frame with Di2.   You can buy just the DA frame too.  Or, you can do it with a B12 as well, if you want the more traditional, easy to deal with, front end and the new frame.  

2013-01-13 1:46 PM

Veteran
Where did you find the B10 at that price? Local shop or online??

2013-01-13 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4576226

User image

Local
2013-01-17 8:05 AM

User image

New user

New York
If this will be your one and only bike (road AND tri) then definitely go for the B10 with Di2, no question. Di2 is so choice! 
2013-01-17 8:30 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
We just got a DA4W for my wife, I have to say, the quality of that frame is simply amazing! With that said, you really need to take a closer look at how beneficial Di2 would be for you. If you have in hilly terrain, then being able to shift from the base bar is so well worth it. Same thing goes for if you plan to use this bike in any group rides (as long as they allow you to ride a tri bike, some groups do, but only in the base bar, other groups flat out won't let you ride a tri bike no matter what...). If neither of these apply to you, then I would get the DA3... it's simply that great of a frame!
2013-01-17 3:20 PM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
skubi013 - 2013-01-12 7:25 PM

Looking for a little advice for my first tri bike. The Felts fit me very well and I've found great sale prices on 2012 carry-overs: the DA3 for $3,200 and the B10 with Di2 for $2,800.

Yes I'm sure some of you are thinking that I might be crazy for investing so much in my first bike. HOWEVER, I've been processing this idea for about a year now while working on training and cutting weight (I'm now under 180lbs from 240lbs) and simultaneously have been putting 5% of my paycheck into a separate account for about 16 months solely for the expenses of triathlon.

I know the DA3 is a better and more aerodynamic frame but I am also aware that most triathletes train on road bikes and only race on their TT. SO MY QUESTION IS: Would the Di2 of the B10 be worth purchasing over the DA3 because it will be my only bike for indoor and outdoor training as well as racing??? I live in MN so the availability of shifting from either position due to various hills and pedestrian traffic on outdoor trails is what has me pondering...

Thanks in advance for your input.

DA3

B10 Di2

I'm not quite so sure that the bold statement is true.......

2013-01-19 9:27 PM

User image

So I missed out on the B10 because someone beat me to it and they don't have another 56cm which is my best fit. I'm not sold on the DA3 yet because I like the idea of Di2 since this will be my only bike. Now I'm torn on what to do... I've been scouring everywhere and have found a brand new in box carry-over 2012 B2 Di2 for $3,600 online but that seems like a dream come true. HOWEVER, it is from a bike shop in California with an excellent seller rating, PayPal approved, has a 14 day return policy plus eBay Buyer Protection, and they've provided their contact info...

With all that criteria, I can't think of anything else to be hesitant of??? HELP!!!

2013-01-20 6:57 AM
in reply to: #4586467

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
That's an outstanding bike!
2013-01-20 1:47 PM

User image

Does anyone know anything about the 2010 Felt B2R??? I just found a used one on craigslist with under 1,000 miles locally. It looks incredible and the price for a first bike is much cheaper than the ones previously mentioned (under $1,500). At that price I could even put Di2 on if I wanted to. I can't find any professional reviews online about it though, just feedback from one guy who gave it a 2.5/5.0 which I find hard to believe considering Felt's reputation....

2013-01-21 6:39 AM
in reply to: #4586908

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Not too certain the B2R has the internal channels for the Di2 wiring harness though... that would be a deal breaker. And also, you do not have any kind of warranty with a used bike...
2013-01-21 8:13 AM
in reply to: #4587519

User image

Thanks for pointing that out Audiojan, I wouldn't have thought about the Di2 wiring. As for the warranty, do you think that's a big issue? I mean they have so many loopholes in their policy they could get out of almost any claim they wanted to. 

Yes the frame and fork are warrantied to be free of manufactured defects for life but other than that, the warranty reads to be fairly useless. 1 year on components which likely won't have issues in that short of time frame, they don't define "normal wear and tear" and the warranty doesn't cover "Any damage, failure or loss caused by abuse, neglect, improper repair, improper maintenance, alteration, modification..." which would include aftermarket race wheels on it. Not to mention that even if you were to order a bike online from a certified Felt dealer, such as me finding the best prices in California, you're out of luck on warranty anyway because it doesn't cover "Any bicycle or frameset purchased via the internet."

Edited by skubi013 2013-01-21 8:14 AM
2013-01-21 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4587605

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
It all depends on the company... some companies are much more willing to help out the original owner, than someone that bought it used, well outside of what the warranty "officially" obligates them to do. Felt has fantastic customer service and extremely good quality, so I wouldn't be too concerned with the warranty per se, but unless you know exactly what to look for, it's not easy to detect a crashed bike (may look like minor scrapes, but nothing serious, but under the surface it may be pretty much destroyed).

And if you want a Di2 bike, make sure you get one that has the internal channels in the frame, otherwise, you're stuck with external wiring and a fairly ugly tape job to attach the wires, cable ties to hold the battery on, etc. etc.

2013-01-21 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
I could be very wrong, but my first reaction to your hesitancy is price. Each choice is getting less expensive. Do you have a bike right now? Have you done any tris? If not, I would seriously look into a decent road bike and revisit this after a season. I would have a really hard time springing for a DA if I really didn't know if I would stick with tris.

Just a thought.
2013-01-21 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4587714

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
LittleCat - 2013-01-21 10:21 AM

I could be very wrong, but my first reaction to your hesitancy is price. Each choice is getting less expensive. Do you have a bike right now? Have you done any tris? If not, I would seriously look into a decent road bike and revisit this after a season. I would have a really hard time springing for a DA if I really didn't know if I would stick with tris.

Just a thought.

Excellent advise! I just assumed that he OP had a road bike already ("looking for advise on my first tri bike"), but you made me realize that may or may not be the case. Second your advise to get a road bike first, race a season or two on that and only after that get a dedicated tri bike.
2013-01-21 9:32 AM
in reply to: #4587714

User image

No I do not currently have a bike other than a mountain bike. This would be my first one so yes cost is a precaution I'm taking with my first tri coming in July. I am currently doing all of my training indoors. Even though my budget is capable of getting any of these bikes, I don't want to spend a bunch of money in case things don't work out. At the same time however, I want to be able to do fundraiser events such as the MS 150, which is an additional reason I would like Di2. Even though I can't find specific bike requirements for such events...
2013-01-21 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4587734

User image

I would seriously look into a decent road bike and revisit this after a season.

I don't want to have to worry about getting a second bike within a year due to the season only being 5 or so months long in MN...

2013-01-21 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4587736

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
skubi013 - 2013-01-21 10:32 AM

No I do not currently have a bike other than a mountain bike. This would be my first one so yes cost is a precaution I'm taking with my first tri coming in July. I am currently doing all of my training indoors. Even though my budget is capable of getting any of these bikes, I don't want to spend a bunch of money in case things don't work out. At the same time however, I want to be able to do fundraiser events such as the MS 150, which is an additional reason I would like Di2. Even though I can't find specific bike requirements for such events...

Pretty much every single charity ride will exclude tri bike (aero bars will be banned), so that should steer you towards a road bike right there. Also, if you haven't done a tri yet, getting a tri bike is somewhat crazy... Let's use a car analogy for second... if you are only going to have one car, do you buy a sports car or a family car? Sure, the sports car can be lots of fun, it can go quite fast, but where are you going to put the groceries, how about driving in the snow (yes, very much used to driving in snow... grew up in Sweden, so MN would actually be traveling south!), how about transporting people? That's really how you should look upon a tri bike... it's a sports car... really good at one thing only, but has very little versatility. A road bike on the other hand has great versatility (and you get a whole lot more bike for the money!!!), and can still be reasonably fast. The choice between a road bike and a tri bike won't make enough of a difference in your first season of racing... you will make mistakes and yo will learn from those...

Get an aero road bike instead... Felt (AR) makes some really nice ones, as does Scott (Foil), Cervelo (S2, S3, S5), and a bunch of other manufacturers.

2013-01-21 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4587751

User image

You just had to get all logical on me didn't you.... lol.

Apparently I'm missing something here and 110% appreciate all of the advice and feedback. Your car example makes sense but I still don't understand the point of a road bike when triathlon is my only interest other than an optional fundraiser or 2 (some of my cousins have a team for the MS 150). As far as that goes aero bars are not banned according to their website, you're just not allowed to use them while pack riding.

I guess I don't understand the need for versatility because I would be getting the bike for a single dedicated purpose - Triathlon. The MS 150 would just be a bonus and with the terrain of MN, Di2 would simutaneously resolve both circumstances...

What am I missing that a road bike, with or without aero bars, would provide that a tri bike couldn't???

2013-01-21 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4587782

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
You better check with MS150 again... the one in New England clearly states no aero bars, and that is VERY common with charity rides. Before you get a tri bike, why not contact the race director and ask?

Also, it all depends on the groups you intend to ride with if you can use a tri bike or not... some flat out won't let you use a tri bike, others allow it as long as you only stay out of the aero bars extension, and a few simply could care less what you ride.

A tri bike is very limiting as the only bike... group rides, charity rides, etc. could very well be out.

If money is an issue, you will also get quite a bit more bike for you money from a road bike versus a tri bike... just so many more made and often many, many more options available used (or even on close outs of last year model). And if decide that triathlons are not for you (since you haven't done any yet...), selling a road bike is MUCH easier than selling a tri bike.
2013-01-29 3:04 AM
in reply to: #4586467

New user

I'm sorry to distrub you. 

I'm from China and will participate the escape from Alcatraz in this March. so I want to buy a Tri-bike in California before the race. 

could you please recommand some place where I can find the Felt tri-bike? if there are some sale of Felt tri-bike, it will be better... actually I think DA4 is enough for me. but if the DA3 is under 4K USD, I will consider DA3...

what's your final choice of the bike?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » FIRST BIKE - Felt DA3 or B10 Di2 ??? Rss Feed