General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Exhaustion Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-15 5:46 AM

Subject: Swimming Exhaustion

Hi All - I started swimming twice a week last October to keep me active throughout the winter, prior to that i hadnt really swam that much but was confident enough in the water. I quickly realised that i was not "swim-fit" as i was exhausted even after 50 metres. After some 1-1 coaching lessons at my local pool i am progressing and am focussing on getting my breathing right as i feel by the end of my second length i am knackered.

I have tried breathing every 2/3/4 stokes and also slowing down my stroke but i still feel exhausted, im hoping that over time i will find a rhythm that fits. I am now currently doing drills for 30 mins twice a week before work to try and get my endurance up.

Anyone had this problem before and any tips or advice would be appreciated.

FYI I am 31 yrs old, 11st10lb, 6ft tall, do alot of cycling (in the good weather) like 75 mile sportives etc).

Cheers

LH

2013-01-15 6:34 AM
in reply to: #4578861

Regular
Alberta, Canada
Subject: RE: Swimming Exhaustion
swimming is really mental, you get that feeling that you just can't go anymore but I bet you can!

sometimes you just have to push yourself!
2013-01-15 7:25 AM

User image

I am having the same problem.  I can easily knock out a century on a bike, but the pool wears me out.  The other night, I noticed an older woman swimming.  To look at her, you would think she wasn't in very good shape, but she swam like a dolphin.  I noticed that she barely made any splash or looked like she was exerting herself, but she flew through the water.  I have been trying to copy her form, and it has helped tremendously.  Is there someone you could watch and try to copy?
2013-01-15 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Vancouver (not Canada) Washington (not D.C.)
People tend to have "breakthroughs" in swimming where it gets easier and more fluid but this usually is a result of a lot of time swimming and an awareness of body position and coordination.

My breakthrough came when I started to power my stroke with body rotation rather than isolated arm strength. I focused on power from my hips (linked with a kick) and things started to come together. I also focused on not extending my arms as close to the surface of the water. They now are about 15 degrees down because if I'm right at surface level or directly over my head, my hips go down. Expiriment on while staring how high you can raise your arms before you feel your hips go forward. Then try it while swimming.
2013-01-15 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4578884

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX

I think this is part of it. I was/am having a similar issue.

When I've been going I would try to swim longer distances in freestyle only to have to switch to another stroke after 100-150 yards due to exhaustion. However, yesterday, I joined a tri-swim group and I was swimming much longer sets with much shorter breaks in between. It's not just have a coach, but also having other people in your lane that would be nipping at your heels if you quit. 

It kicked my butt, but I swam about 1900 yards, instead of my usually 800-1000.

2013-01-15 8:35 AM

May I suggest you to increase your swim time from 30 minutes to 45minutes minimum. Plus if you want to increase swim indurance you should start swimming sets.

Try to do something like that next time see how it goes:

400-600 w/u,

400-300-200-100 or 5x200 go eeeeasy and slow, focus on one set at a time. Rest well, repeat. If you feel tired or out of breath, alternate 50 free + 50backstroke but make sure you go the distance.

Do some kicking in the end.

Good luck,

2013-01-15 11:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast Michigan

The breakthrough for me when it came to endurance in the water was minimizing the kick a lot more.  Overdoing the kick can tire one out very quickly, especially if the kick isn't efficient.  Once I did that I went from being wiped out after maybe 200 meters to being able to go at least 1000 meters (albeit slowly) without stopping.

Also, if it's breathing related make sure you are exhaling when your face is in the water, not turning your head and doing an inhale/exhale all in one shot and then holding your breath when your face is in the water.

2013-01-15 12:26 PM

User image

Each time you swim, go a little bit further between "breaks."  Don't be afraid to throw a length of breaststroke or sidestroke in on occasion.  Are you wearing a swim suit or board shorts?  That makes a big difference.
2013-01-15 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central Iowa

There is a form aspect to it, a fitness aspect, and a mental aspect.

One-on-one coaching is great for the form aspect.

Here's an idea to help with the mental aspect (and fitness, too):

4 x 50 with a N breath rest

N is one less then the number you think you need right now. Breath as quickly or slowly as you like, but do not take more than N breaths. Even if you feel you will die, push off from the wall. (If *after* you start swimming, you discover you were right and I am wrong, please don't actually die--stop and grab the lane rope.)

Recover as long as you need, then…

4 x 50 with N-1 breath rest.

4 x 50 with N-2 breath rest.

Okay, you see where this is going. 

Depending on how tired you are, you may get to the next step later in the same workout, maybe the next, maybe the one after that. You don't have to get the rest down to zero breaths, but once you've made measurable progress, increase the distance.

4 x 75 with N breath rest.

When you get back to the wall, turn right around without stopping *at all*. You won't die. There is another wall at the other end of the pool, you can stop there. (Same disclaimer as before. If you actually are going to die, please stop and grab the lane rope.)

4 x 75 with N-1 breath rest.

Etc. etc. Keep shortening the rests and lengthening the distances. Once you can do 4 x 100 with 12 breath rest, I recommend  you try Ruth Kazez' 0 to 1650 plan. (http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html)

This advice is based on what I did at the start. The idea is to not give the brain time to think or object. "That was N breaths, time to go again. Go." Please modify it work best for your brain and your swim ability.

2013-01-15 1:31 PM

Thanks all for your comments, ideas and support. I think my issues are both mental blocks and breathing issues. I am breathing out under the water and only breath in above water but probably need to ensure I have fully exhaled.
As for mental blocks well I think you are right - I need to force myself to at least start another length even if I don't feel I can complete it.

Will keep u posted.

Thanks again!
2013-01-15 2:37 PM
in reply to: #4579679

User image

Master
South Alabama
Finding a comfortable breathing rhythm is key. I breathe every cycle to the left. If you are out of breath/exhausted breathing every 3rd stroke then breath every stroke cycle.  In my opinion it is important to be able to breathe bilaterally but not necessarily in the manner of breathing every 3rd stroke.  Swim a length breathing to the left and then to the right on the way back. Get comfortable breathing to both sides but don't hesitate to breathe to the same side every stroke cycle if it makes your breathing more easy/relaxed. Good luck...it will get easier...I've been there  

2013-01-17 8:49 AM

Well I went for a 30 minute swim this morning before work and feel a bit more comfortable. I just needed to keep forcing myself off the wall even when I felt like I couldn't go on.
I done mostly drills but swam about 550 metres in total with only a short pause each 50 metres to catch my breath.

It's a long way off where it needs to be but it's progress. I knew I'd made an effort as I was knackered when I got outta the pool.

Main step fwd I think is slowing down my stroke, breath every other stroke to right and try to relax.

Onward and upwards, cheers all
2016-06-06 9:02 PM
in reply to: chris00nj

User image

Veteran
Laval, Quebec
Originally posted by chris00nj

I think this is part of it. I was/am having a similar issue.

When I've been going I would try to swim longer distances in freestyle only to have to switch to another stroke after 100-150 yards due to exhaustion. However, yesterday, I joined a tri-swim group and I was swimming much longer sets with much shorter breaks in between. It's not just have a coach, but also having other people in your lane that would be nipping at your heels if you quit. 

It kicked my butt, but I swam about 1900 yards, instead of my usually 800-1000.

Totally agree with this. Joining a group pushes you, you get tips, encouragement, and maybe coaching. The warm ups for my masters swims are just shy of what my entire swim workouts were when doing it alone.
2016-06-06 11:59 PM
in reply to: Longhorn1981

User image

Ventura, California
Sounds like you are making progress.

I also have been struggling abit. Last Friday I had a amazing 1.5hr session in the pool and felt amazing, great form, I could feel the glide, did several sets and a full 900yd straight set.

Tonight's session, poop. Couldn't get a cadence, legs sinking, out of breath, sharing a lane, busy pool, distractions, going nowhere, got out after 30 minutes. Better to walk away sometimes then to force a bad practice session.

"Main step fwd I think is slowing down my stroke, breath every other stroke to right and try to relax."

Slowing down the stroke was a huge key for me, in the beginning if I tried to slow down I would just start sinking. I highly recommend using a 'Pull Buoy', this one item helped me immediately. You stick it between your legs and it will float your legs up so you focus on your 'catch and pull' without having to use your legs to kick. Then I started using a kickboard to focus on the legs, putting the 2 together resulted in immediate improvements.

Also please do not get in the habit of breathing only on one side, this is a bad habit to get into. Yes you can breath easier, but you will get more out of improving your form then short cutting by breathing on one side and having poor form.

I use bi-lateral 3 stroke breathing exclusively, once form improves breathing will not be an issue.

Also take a look at a book called 'Swim Speed Secrets'. I am purchasing this along with the 'workout' book/cards tomorrow after I get paid.
https://swimspeedsecrets.com/

Best Wishes!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimming Exhaustion Rss Feed