Tejas Trails
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 12m 2s
Overall Rank = 57/258
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/32
Pre-race routine:

I drove out to the park for packet pick-up on Friday evening, and booked a room in San Antonio (on the north-west side)for the night. Left the hotel at about 5:20 Saturday morning and had plenty of time. The trip to Bandera in the morning goes fast, but things really slow down once you hit the park road, and parking is really slow. If you stay in SA, make sure you give yourself enough time in the morning. It looked to me like lots of people were still trying to get parked just a few minutes before the race start.

I've been dealing with some knee issues for the last few months and am signed up for Rocky Raccoon 50-miler in three weeks, so my plan for Bandera was to have a nice strong run and test the knee. I figured if the knee won't hold up for 50k, no sense in trying to test it for 50-miles at RR.
Event warmup:

Trip to the outhouse, then a short walk out the the start area for the 50k.
Run
  • 6h 12m 2s
  • 31.07 miles
  • 11m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

The start for the 50k is on the road, but cuts onto single-track after about 1/4 mile. The first hill starts just a couple minutes down the single track. 2013 was my second 50k at Bandera. In 2011 I made the rookie mistake of going out too hard on the hilly section, and had a very rough last 10-miles. This time around, my plan was to be very conservative. I knew those hills can really zap you, so I planned to really take them easy with the hope of finishing strong. I was looking at Bandera as a harder than normal training effort, but not an all-out totally spent at the end kind of race---something to leave me sore for a few days, but not requiring weeks to recover.

This worked out pretty well for me. I walked all of the steep sections, and walked any place where the "crowd" was bottle-necked. I figured pushing it in these sections might save you a few seconds, but would cost many minutes by the end of the race. I'm sure this turned out to be the case, as I passed LOTS of people during the last half of the race.

2013 was a much tougher race than 2011 for two reasons. The first was the weather. It was warm, humid, and drizzle for most of the morning. Temps were in the upper 60s / low 70s, and humidity was right around 100%. The only saving grace was that the overcast meant no direct sun. Issue 2 was that all the wet weather turned the trail into muddy, sticky mess on most of the flat sections. This mud was some of the stickiest stuff I've ever seen. For many miles it felt like each shoe picked up several inches of mud and gained about 5-lbs a piece. It was BAD, and made the flat sections as tough, if not tougher, than the hills. That mud was physically draining and mentally discouraging. On the positive side, I was worried that the rocks on the hills would be really slick. I didn't have any issues with slick rocks, and this was the only 50k trail run I've done where I haven't taken a fall.

As usual for a Tejas Trails race, the aid stations are unbelievably well stocked and the volunteers are excellent. All the Tejas Trails races I've done have had OUTSTANDING, bordering on unbelievable, aid stations.

I ran with one hand-held amphipod bottle. I think it holds around 22 oz. Because of the higher temps, this wasn't quite enough, and I ended up with an empty bottle 15-minutes before some of the aid stations. This didn't turn out to be a big deal. I did see a few people trying to get by without carrying any sort of liquid. That struck me as absolutely crazy.

Overall, my time only improved by 8-minutes over 2011, but I went from 84/199 to 57/258. I felt like the race was a big improvement over last time and that the tough conditions are what limited my improvement to only 8-minutes.

Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

My focus for 2013 is dropping some weight. These hill courses really favor the slim. I've dropped 10# in the last few months, but losing another 10 or 15 will make a big difference.

Event comments:

Excellent race on a challenging trail!

One of the best trail races in Texas! Highly recommended!

Last updated: 2012-09-17 12:00 AM
Running
06:12:02 | 31.07 miles | 11m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/32
Overall: 57/258
Performance: Good
Course: The first 10-miles of this course is very hilly, rocky, technical single-track. Large portions of this section of the course are only "run" by the very brave or the very foolish. The last 20-miles the course settles down. It's mostly runnable, with a few steep hills thrown in to keep things interesting.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-01-15 3:42 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Bandera 50K

2013-01-15 6:12 PM
in reply to: #4579929

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Subject: RE: Bandera 50K
congrats on a great time in tough conditions on a tougher course!  awesome dude!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bandera 50K Rss Feed