YMCA of Greenville
60sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 41m 38s
Overall Rank = 23/182
Age Group = Men 20-29
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Took Friday off and drove down to Greenville in the afternoon. Checked in to the Hampton Inn in Travelers Rest, changed and headed out for the night. Went to the YMCA to pick up my packet, then headed to the Blue Ridge Brewing Company for dinner and followed it up by seeing Zero Dark Thirty. Got back to the room late, but not unreasonably late for a pre-race night. Laid everything out for the morning and got in bed. The starting line was less than a mile from the hotel, so I got to sleep in until 6:30, which was a first for a race morning. Enjoyed taking my time getting ready, then Emily and I drove to Travelers Rest High School, parked, and found the starting line.
Event warmup:

I did my typical pre-run dynamic stretches. Felt good and loose. I felt very good before this race, which is one of the reasons I was so disappointed at the end.
Run
  • 1h 41m 38s
  • 13.11 miles
  • 07m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

As I mentioned above, I felt really good before this race. I was coming off one of my best weekend long runs ever, followed by a week of easy training. I felt that I had put in the work to be very successful. When the race started, I still felt this way. I had a plan. I would go out at my normal training pace of around 7:27, hold that through the halfway point, then pick it up for the last half. I would drink at halfway and the 10 mile point. This plan was working great, but I had failed to calculate for two very important factors; this was by-far the most hilly race I have ever run. I can run up hills just fine, but I had no idea that I would be doing it over and over again for 13.1 miles. The second was the humidity. We had unseasonably warm temps this weekend, and the with it came humidity in the 90s for race morning.
I still felt pretty good at halfway, but as soon as I turned around to run back, I encountered the longest, biggest hill on the entire course. My pace slowed significantly and I knew that I could kiss my hopes of a PR goodbye. Shortly after mile 10, I was done. The half marathon distance is not difficult for me. I run this distance or longer just about every weekend, but for some reason I just wasn't up to the challenge on this particular day. I continued a walk-run pattern until about the last mile, there I was able to pick it up to a slow jog to the end. I got chicked in the last 0.2 by a girl who was being paced by her husband, who placed 2nd overall. This just added to the pissed-off attitude I already had.
After sitting for a while and reflecting, I realized a couple of things; 1 - I had not failed. I finished the race, and in a respectable time too. 2 - I finished in the top 25, which is nothing to scoff at. 3 - There are pros who walk on bad days too, 4 - They won't all be bad days, 5 - This is just a stepping stone to Wrightsville Beach in March, and 6 - You can't be ready if you don't plan. I had no idea there would be some many hills, and who can predict humidity? All in all, this was not that bad of a day, and I am pleased with the end result.
What would you do differently?:

Preview the course the day before to mentally prepare myself for hills. Don't wear arm warmers, even if I was chilly on the drive over. Don't get pissed off at things I can't control.
Post race
Warm down:

static stretching and walking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of mental prep. Possibly the great run the week before. Extra Lbs. Humidity, Hills.

Event comments:

Good race overall. Nice location. Great organization

Last updated: 2012-12-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:41:38 | 13.11 miles | 07m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/11
Overall: 23/182
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back through the neighborhoods surrounding Travelers Rest. SUPER HILLY!!! There is no flat at all.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes