General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What does this group call a person who has completed an Iron Distance race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-06-30 4:14 PM
in reply to: #469234

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Subject: RE: What does this group call a person who has completed an Iron Distance race?

I think if you have done the 140.6 in a race, there is one thing EVERYONE can agree to call you....

....really tired.

2006-06-30 8:30 PM
in reply to: #471343

User image

Elite
Chicago
Subject: RE: What does this group call a person who has completed an Iron Distance race?
hangloose - 2006-06-30 2:59 PM

The real problem doesn't come from what you think, it comes from what you do.  If you don't think someone is an IM if they don't do a WTC event, then the only time it is an issue is if that person refers to themselves as an IM AND you are going to speak up and tell them that they are NOT an IM.  Would you?

this is honestly the most brilliant statement I've heard on this site to date (almost 2 years running for me).  really.

There is so much banter back on forth about this and that on-line but when the rubber meets the road probabaly 90% of people avoid confrontation and would even dare do what you suggest.

let's take a typical work day at my office for example.  people e-mail each other back and forth in an argument but when I see them in the hallway they say hello to each other like nothing happened and everything is cool between them.  lame, wimpy, and quite stupid...especially since their cubes are NEXT TO EACH OTHER!!!

It's crazy!

I get copied on many of these e-mails by simple virtue that I run the deals they work on and they just send a bunch of CYA e-mails back and forth to each other and it sometimes gets so funny to watch them interact face-to-face that you'd think they're best friends.  

too funny.

2006-06-30 9:29 PM
in reply to: #471289

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Steve- - 2006-06-30 1:13 PM

it's bad form.

You know, this is really stupid, cause if we were sitting around and talking and this subject came up, I'd make my statement, then you'd say, "No, it was Oahu" and I'd say "Oh yeah, you're right" and that would be it.  Am I supposed to groveling here and begging forgiveness for "bad triathlon form" whatever that is?  FWIW, Sorry.  I made a mistake.  I didn't remember it correctly off the top of my head.  Shoulda looked it up first, then this whole pointless discussion wouldn't be happening.

Actually, after all this BS - I think my original point got lost.  I think I was trying to say something about the origins of the sport not being nearly as hoopla as it is now.  However, that's true of most any sport I can think of.  Sport changes, it's not static.

If you want the M-dot 2000 people experience, or you want to do it on your own, or jsut do an Iron-distance race, it's really up to you and what makes it meaningful from your point of view.  Whichever way you do it, it's a big commitment in training and a big accomplishment.

And as OldAg92 said - you'll also be really tired afterwards.

Edited by cadreamer 2006-06-30 9:30 PM
2006-07-01 5:09 PM
in reply to: #471593

User image

Elite
Chicago
cadreamer - 2006-06-30 8:29 PM
Steve- - 2006-06-30 1:13 PM

it's bad form.

You know, this is really stupid, cause if we were sitting around and talking and this subject came up, I'd make my statement, then you'd say, "No, it was Oahu" and I'd say "Oh yeah, you're right" and that would be it. Am I supposed to groveling here and begging forgiveness for "bad triathlon form" whatever that is? FWIW, Sorry. I made a mistake. I didn't remember it correctly off the top of my head. Shoulda looked it up first, then this whole pointless discussion wouldn't be happening.

Actually, after all this BS - I think my original point got lost. I think I was trying to say something about the origins of the sport not being nearly as hoopla as it is now. However, that's true of most any sport I can think of. Sport changes, it's not static.

If you want the M-dot 2000 people experience, or you want to do it on your own, or jsut do an Iron-distance race, it's really up to you and what makes it meaningful from your point of view. Whichever way you do it, it's a big commitment in training and a big accomplishment.

And as OldAg92 said - you'll also be really tired afterwards.

Hey man, don't panic. 

I made a mistake too.  I was under the impression that you were trying to be a know it all with the "well, if you know your Ironman history" comment in your poast and when I read it and saw that you in fact didn't know your ironman history in that post I was taken aback.

there are many many more people in the sport today that try to give advice, make statements, etc like they've been racing for a decade when in fact they just found the sport a few years ago, read a bunch of stuff on the internet and give advice to folks like they're some seasoned triathlete.

nothing gets under my skin more than these types.  don't get me wrong i love newbees and help them all the time by imparting the knowledge where I can because i think it's great the more and more people get in shape through our sport.  but when I sense that someone is trying to sounds like a seasoned triathlete when in fact they don't know how to change a flat, then I call "bullsh!t"

however, this was obviously not the case in your post and I made a mistake by thinking that it was. 

see, i can be a nice guy when not surrounded by posers. 

Edited by Steve- 2006-07-01 5:21 PM
2006-07-03 12:36 PM

User image

Giver
Ironman existed long before the WTC trademarked it. Anyone who completes the distance is one. Just because a large-pocketed company bought the rights to the term doesn't take away it's meaning for people who do a race that happens not to be sponsored by them.
2006-07-03 12:39 PM
in reply to: #471022

User image

Giver

cadreamer - 2006-06-30 12:56 PM  I did know that, cause I knew that they replicated the Waikiki 2.4 roughwater swim and that, obviously, is on Oahu.  

Actually, the Waikiki swim takes place off the coast of Oahu.

2006-07-03 6:06 PM
in reply to: #472881

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
run4yrlif - 2006-07-03 10:39 AM

Actually, the Waikiki swim takes place off the coast of Oahu.

AAUUGGHHH!!! You're right!  I am obviously not fit to do an Ironman race - so it's a good thing I haven't signed up for one yet.

2006-07-03 9:36 PM
in reply to: #469579

User image

kaybee - 2006-06-29 7:30 AM
RGRBILL - 2006-06-29 7:08 AM

140.6 is 140.6.... that's a simple fact.

As I've stated above, I'm removing myself from the naming debate because the experience is personal and it's yours to call what you want. But, I don't think I would say 140.6 is 140.6. Arizona is not Lanzarote. Silverman is not Kona. I don't think there are many that would argue that point.

When I've heard people say something and then say BUT,,,,, it usually means strike what I just said,,, because this is what i really mean,,,,,

Could you be more specific about what you meant when you said,,,, " But, I don't think I would say 140.6 is 140.6. Arizona is not Lanzarote. Silverman is not Kona. I don't think there are many that would argue that point."

Thanks in advance for your response, but, does this also mean that if you run a 26.2 mile race and it does not end at the town in Greec called Marathon, that you haven't really ran a "Marathon"?? It certainly isn't Bostn, or Whiskey Row for that matter....

Just asking,,,,,,,, to,,,,, fuel the fire

Edited by crusevegas 2006-07-03 9:44 PM
2006-07-03 9:58 PM

I am enjoying reading folks opinions. All I can say again, is if someone steps on the starting line of an iron distance race, and completes it under 17 hours, I will look you in the eye, shake your hand, and congradulate you as joining the few, the proud, the ironmen.

Now that I am an ironman, I sure have NO desire to do another. If its a choice to focus on one IM distance race, or do the 20 Tri races, HIM and below during each year, I know what I am doing. I have 6 races during the next 6 weeks, 5 Oly, and 1 HIM. These should keep me nice and tired.

Dave
2006-07-04 12:56 AM
in reply to: #473227

New user

crusevegas - 2006-07-03 7:36 PM

Thanks in advance for your response, but, does this also mean that if you run a 26.2 mile race and it does not end at the town in Greec called Marathon, that you haven't really ran a "Marathon"?? It certainly isn't Bostn, or Whiskey Row for that matter....

Just asking,,,,,,,, to,,,,, fuel the fire

my postion had little to do with greece, whiskey row, black sabbath, or a marvel comic book hero. my intent was not to argue the point of how one refers to himself/herself. if you need to put a title on it, it's your race, call it whatever is meaningful and motivational to you. how much more clear can i make myself on that matter? what i wanted to convey is that not all 140.6 distance races are equivalent. that was in response to a post that stated "140.6 is 140.6." please reread the post.
2006-07-04 11:18 AM
in reply to: #470060

User image

Ambler, Pa
To answer the original question: IMO - Anyone who completes a full distance tri is an Ironman.

cadreamer - 2006-06-29 1:47 AM
FWIW, I think it's wrong that the name is trade-marked. It should be representative of that distance, regardless of who puts it on.

Preach on Brother. IMHO - The enforcement of the mark just serves to confuse the public and to maintain WTC's near monopoly in the market place. Events like the GFT, the Silverman (which I did last November), the Chessepeakeman...etc. all struggle to break even while the M-dot races sell out in 6 hours a year in advance. Nothing against IMNA and their races, but I know the Silverman was at least as well produced as IM CDA this year.

coredump - 2006-06-29 3:36 PM

Do you blow your nose with 'kleenex' or 'paper facial tissue'?

Is it 'scotch tape' even if it's not made by 3M?

Sure Ironman is a trademarked name, but it represents a 140.6 mile triathlon.

I think we're cognizant enough to realize the subtle distiction, but somehow when in casual conversation with a friend, 'iron-distance-man' or 'long course triathlete' doesn't roll off the tongue as easy as 'ironman'.

If it truly bothers anyone that much, IMHO, they need to re-analyze their outlook on life ( or they're a lawyer for the WTC ).

Actually, I think the sport really needs a RD with deep enough pockets to be able to fight WTC in court over this issue. Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like a rd would have a great generic defense (ala - asparin, elevator...etc) to a trademark infringement action. I know WTC sends out cease and desist letters to try and protect their mark, but I wonder if anyone has actually fought it out with them or if they all fold upon geting the cease and desist letters? I think the problem is that while WTC has deep enough pockets to be able to argue a trademark case if it came down to it, the rd's for the independent Full Distance tri's are just struggling to make ends meet (Witness the demise of the BlueDevil Race). BTW - I think WTC and IMNA would still have a rock solid case on the M-dot logo, but the word Ironman is really a generic term used by the average consumer to describe the race distance.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What does this group call a person who has completed an Iron Distance race? Rss Feed  

of 3