World Triathlon Corporation
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 11h 05m 9s
Overall Rank = 257/2797
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 47/314
Pre-race routine:

Since this was my first IM I don't have a "Pre-race routine:" That said I did the following:
-Went into this race with the attitude that I just wanted to enjoy the experience and finish. Mission Accomplished.
-ENJOYED the people and town of CDA - so friendly and supportive of the event.

-Pretend to sleep-wake up at 4:00 shower(Funny thing is I layed down thinking I was going to fall right to sleep-the later it got the more nervous I became.)

Ate a bagel on the way to race. Tried to meet up with Craig before the race but couldn't find him. Did find Nate and we ended up swimming for about 15 minutes together.
Swim
  • 1h 13m 13s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was most afraid of the swim by far......

Started the swim right in the middle of the pack and towards the back. Couldn't really swim the first 200 or so....too many people so I swam like you would in water polo and tried to navigate between people.

After the first turn things settled down a bit and I got into a rhythm. There were waves on the second lap but I thought it was from boats....guess it was the wind.
What would you do differently?:

Probably start closer to the front as I ended up swimming around a lot of people.
Transition 1
  • 06m 49s
Comments:

Couldn't get my wetsuit off. My gimp arm was useless. Thankfully a volunteer unzipped me and got me on my way. AWESOME VOLUNTEERS IN CDA
Bike
  • 5h 36m 55s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Hills that I trained on were more sustained climbs followed by long descents. This course was a lot of up and down. It made it hard to go off of HR so I just went by feel. There was some wind but I don't remember it much until mile 80 or so but I think I was just tired. It was nice to ride with the wind back to town.

I did have to stop to pee 3 times and my stomach did get upset but bananas seemed to really settle that right down.

The volunteers were awesome and I loved seeing my family so often on the course. Having the town somehat in the middle of the course really breaks things up.

Nothing, I was pleasantly surprised by my bike time. I felt like I held enough back for the run.
Transition 2
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

Good transtion. Glad to be off the bike.

Can't think of anything.
Run
  • 4h 04m 35s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

The sun came out and I was feeling pretty good coming off the bike. Kept telling myself to slow down and I am glad I did. After mile 7 or so I could feel the dreaded stomach issues coming on. Thankfully I was able to pull back the pace and still keep running. Ran slower than I anticipated but I was actually having fun. Seeing my family at the midpoint was great. There high 5's and cheers carried me a long way.

Words can't describe how awesome it was to turn the corner and see the finish line. I thought I might tear up but instead a smile came to my face that I couldn't put away. The street was a half mile long and 4 lanes wide. Hundreds of spectactors lined both sides and were cheering us on.

I found my family in the stands near the finish line. Gave them hugs and a kiss for my wife and flew(arms in airplane mode) to the finish line.

I gave it what I had and I am happy with the results. I know I had some left in the tank at the end but the 'low fuel' light was coming on.
Post race
Warm down:

I was sore from the run but I felt good. Took pics with the fam while we waited for Craig and Nate to cross.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just need to get better on the run.

Event comments:

I signed up again! That says it all.

Last updated: 2012-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:13:13 | 4224 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 83/314
Overall: 602/2797
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR Hurricane
Course: 2 laps. Bouys setup on the left.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:49
Performance:
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:36:55 | 112 miles | 19.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 43/314
Overall: 240/2797
Wind: Some
Course: First short loop out of town had a few small hills. On the way back out of town there were a lot of rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:37
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:04:35 | 26.2 miles | 09m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/314
Overall: 0/2797
Course: I wouldn't call it a flat course but it's not hilly either. One 'big' hill just before the turn around. Beautiful course and fun fans.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2013-01-16 2:02 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman Coeur d'Alene

2013-01-16 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4581410

User image

New user
Alpharetta
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene
Thanks for the writeup, I'm in for CdA 2013!
2013-01-17 6:02 AM

New user
Key West
Great Job and Congrats!! Water would be way too cold for me.
2013-01-18 8:54 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Great Race! Great Report!  Great Time!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Coeur d'Alene Rss Feed