General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big Bear Lake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-16 2:20 PM

Subject: Big Bear Lake

I am from Michigan and a friend and myself are looking to stay near Big Bear Lake to get some training in. We are looking to stay there for 4-6 weeks over the summer. My question is where the best area around Big Bear Lake to train at. Somewhere preferably where open water swimming is easily accessible, we can quickly get out on the county roads for rides, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions where the best way to go about this is? Thanks

2013-01-16 3:33 PM
in reply to: #4581442

User image

Subject: RE: Big Bear Lake

Not a whole lot of places in Big Bear Lake to get quality swimming in.  There are swim beaches, but most of the lake has heavy boat traffic

As for riding, it's up in the mountains, so there aren't any country roads to get on.  Will all be windy mountainous roads.  Not that it's a bad thing, just something to be prepared for.  Oh, and it's 8K feet, so it's great altitude training.

Honestly, if you want quality hi altitude training with great biking and running, and both pool and lake swimming, check out Mammoth Lakes.  World class Olympic athletes train there

2013-01-16 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4581554

That's more what I was looking for. Are you familiar with the Mammoth Lakes area?
2013-01-16 4:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange County, CA

I've been to Mammoth mainly in the winter for snowboarding, but have visited a handful of times in summer/fall for hiking and family vacation. I haven't done any run/bike/swim training while up there at all but there are many world class athletes that train there for the altitude benefits (runners mostly).

http://www.mammothtrackclub.com/news.html

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/mar/24/sports/la-sp-mammoth-olympics-20120325

http://www.visitmammoth.com/things-to-do/summer-activities/running/

2013-01-16 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4581612

User image

WolverinesTri - 2013-01-16 2:02 PM That's more what I was looking for. Are you familiar with the Mammoth Lakes area?

Yes.  Very

2013-01-16 5:51 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach

I was just up at Mammoth this weekend.  Too much snow to train right now, but it is great in late spring/summer.  Many roads have a nice bike lane and there isn't much traffic off the main drag.  A lot of people swim in June Lake.  (Cold water, but clean and not a ton of "traffic".)  I would recommend it over Big Bear. I believe the elevation is around 8500 or so.  You can find some rolling hills and some downright nasty long hills.  Great place to train!

My family has a cabin in the Big Bear area (Green Valley Lake).  The problem with that area is the roads are very narrow and windy (curvy-not wind and in blowing).  I do not feel safe riding.  There is a trail to run around Big Bear Lake, but that would get old after a couple of days.  You can swim at Lake Gregory.

Edited by akrenik 2013-01-16 5:58 PM

2013-01-17 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4581685

Do you have any tips for finding a place to stay for an extended period of time? Places to swim, both pool and OWS? Any other things I should be aware of or plan for?
2013-01-17 1:11 PM
in reply to: #4582643

User image

Really, there's tons of condos and rentals in ML, not sure where would be cheapest, but you could probably get a deal if you were there for 4-6 weeks.

Swimming - Pool swimming is down on Benton Crossing Road, just east of the Green Church.  You'll have to check for hours.   There is also a pool at Snow Creek athletic club but I've never been there.  OW, June Lake is your best bet, but I have also heard that some seim in Valentine (?) lake.  There is a high sierra tri club that's fairly active, google them for contact

Bike - I've done Mammoth Lakes town to Benton Crossing then down and around Crowley Lake.  Been to the top of the hill there, but hear you can make a big loop out of it.  Ridden from town to top of Minaret Station.   Have friends that rode down into Devils Postpile area, narrow road, I haven't done it.  Ridden to top of Lakes Basin up to Horseshoe Lake.  Can also ride out of town via the Scenic Loop to 395, and then up to June Lake loop or beyond (all of these will appear on maps).  Possibilities are endless

Run - anywhere - a nice run is along Benton Crossing Road (if you youtube ryan hall and mammoth you'll see videos of him and Meb K running in the area, also Deena Kastor).  Lots of trails to follow.  Nice run is out on Sherwin Creek road to all of the campsites.  I am sure you could email Mammoth running club for routes and info. 

2013-01-18 6:47 PM

WolverinesTri - 2013-01-16 12:20 PM

I am from Michigan and a friend and myself are looking to stay near Big Bear Lake to get some training in. We are looking to stay there for 4-6 weeks over the summer. My question is where the best area around Big Bear Lake to train at. Somewhere preferably where open water swimming is easily accessible, we can quickly get out on the county roads for rides, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions where the best way to go about this is? Thanks

I have a place in Moonridge - Basically at the base of Bear Mountain. 

There are plenty of places to swim out of at the lake.  My preference is usually to have the wife paddle along in a kayak for a mile next to me and then we switch.  We love swimming along the shore around the entire lake about 9 months of the year.  Right now its way too cold. 

Running is outright awesome.  If you are into trail running you can go just about anywhere.  In addition there are some quality trail races during the summer that you can hit up.  Holcomb Valley Trail Run and Endure the Bear, and the Race Ready Trail series are the events that come to mind.  Also during the middle of the week year around you can pretty much run on the roads with no problems.  Its the weekends that get hectic.

The bike.  Unless you ride with a large group I do not advise riding on the highways without support - crew following in car.  Problem solved:  http://bigbearcycling.com/Big_Bear_Cycling.html  I suggest calling them to get the update on the ride schedule.

Like the trail running, the mountain biking is top notch and you could go for days. 

Edited by Dultra 2013-01-18 6:47 PM
2013-01-18 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4585421

Thanks for all the suggestions. We've decided to head to Mammoth Lakes for a month. We found a really nice villa for pretty cheap. It's on Lakeview Blvd very near Lake Mary road. I appreciate all the comments and help!
2013-01-28 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4585461

User image

Regular
Los Angeles

If you're going to be looking to some serious bike training - look no further than Onion Valley, about 40 miles from mammoth lakes! Probably one of the toughest long climbs in CA. Bring your climbing gears.

http://app.strava.com/segments/613827

2013-01-30 8:30 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

I second everything Chris shared. The training in the Mammoth area is fantastic. If you are looking to get adjusted to the altitude and desert conditions when you first arrive you can ride in Round Valley. We parked at the Millpond Recreation Area and rode through Round Valley and the town of Paradise. You can climb as long as you like and the descent back into Round Valley is fun and fast.

If you plan to be in the Eastern Sierra's for the month of July give the June Lake Tri or the Death Ride some consideration.

June Lake is a great (low key) event and this year they have added a Long Course option.

http://highsierratri.org/june-lake-triathlon/

The Death Ride is the same weekend as June Lake. I have never done this event but have heard a number of stories about how challenging it is.

http://www.deathride.com/index.html

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Big Bear Lake Rss Feed