General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Random, stabbing pain in upper thigh... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-16 5:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Random, stabbing pain in upper thigh...

Hi,

So, I'm quite sick of getting laid up, I feel like the gods want me to quit tri

Yesterday I developed a stabbing, debilitating pain in my upper thigh which grocery shopping (b/f my workout). I came and went throughout the day randomly. I was actually able to spin on the trainer for an hour with no problem, so wierd. It bothered me in the evening but when I press on the quarter size spot of pain it is somewhat relieved and I can continue walking. Obviously, this is not good.

Yes, I went to a chiropracter. He seems to think it's a pinched nerve though none of the little tests he gave me screamed out yes that's it. I do have a bit of scholeosis which he discovered and I was badly unaligned, legs were even diff sizes, geez. Anyway, he cracked away and said he's hopeful the nerve pain will go away in just a couple of sessions. (he was highly recommended by a triathlete friend)

Anyway, the pain returned several hours later. He did say that there's a chance it would still hurt b/c of the aggravation it's been in but I'm still discouraged. Have any of you had something like this happen? Feel free to send any opinions doctor or not my way, thank you.

Patsy

FYI -logs are very sketchy from Oct. but have been training consistenty 6-7days week. Only up to 16miles/wk 6,4,4,2. There has been no dramatic change in training, just trying to work on my run base since getting out of boot in Oct.

2013-01-16 6:47 PM
in reply to: #4581694

Subject: RE: Random, stabbing pain in upper thigh...
Not an MD, but it is probably nerve pain.  I would see a real MD, they may want to do an MRI, see if you got any herniations or anything like that going on.  Some ibuprofen could help in the meantime,  if there is some inflammation putting pressure on the nerve, it can cause those stabbing pains. 
2013-01-16 7:14 PM

Malvern, PA

Not sure, but look up "meralgia paresthetica" and see if this fits your symptoms.

I suspect the chiro treatment won't help it btw. 

2013-01-16 8:40 PM

User image

New user

Had similar thing happened to me.  A stabbing pain in the mid thigh that seemed deep but was not a constant pain.  I started using my roller more frequent and the painful episodes eventually went away all together.   I did not change my training because the pain never occured during exercise.  With that being said, please keep us posted.

2013-01-16 9:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks all for your responses!

Imsore - Unfortunately I just can't afford and MRI right now but I have started taking Ibuprophen, duh, guess I should have thought of that...it's just that the pain is so not there most of the time and then when it is, it's awful, guess it's best to medicate to soften the awful.

Doug- Wow, I did look up that term, very interesting, it does seem to fit my symptoms. Except the common causes don't, those being pregnant,diabetic, or obese. But I wonder though if lowering my front bars several cm and not getting re-fit could have been the cause somehow. I'm in the process of scheduling a new fit. But I don't understand why you don't think chiropractic adjustment won't help, from the reading I've done it all refers to lumbar this and that, seems like a chiro could crack it out of me at some point...or not, straighten me out on this if I'm interpreting the mumbo jumbo on the net wrong.

Kay- Thank you for sharing your story, that does give me hope! Surfing the net can bring horrible stories like "symptoms can last indefinately". I'm praying this anomaly will just dissappear so I can get back to it.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated!

Patsy

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Random, stabbing pain in upper thigh... Rss Feed