Walt Disney World Endurance Sports
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 55m 26s
Overall Rank = 6187/20680
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 557/1347
Pre-race routine:

For this race, being it was a 0530 start, I woke at 0300 had ate some raisan bran and a half a banana, then a half a PBnJ. Dressed, kissed the wife and told her I'd see her in a few hours at the finish (being this was my first, I kept a positive attitude that I would). Got to my corral and did about 10 striders to 'pre' warm up.
Event warmup:

Did some striders while waiting in the corral, then some squats and a little stretching. I felt my real warm up would be during my first mile, building up to my pace.
Run
  • 4h 55m 26s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I had modified a Jeff Galloway program to meet my needs. Running one mile then walking 1-2 mins. Felt strong until mile 20, after mile 21 I changed up my strategy and did 4/1 run/walk. After about mile 23 I had changed it again to run when I felt strong and walk when I needed to. Ran last 1/4 mile with as much gusto as I could muster.
What would you do differently?:

I feel certain if I stayed with my 'original' 4/1 plan, I'd finish a lot stronger through to the end without the 'wall' at mile 21.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for about 20 mins with my wife trying to avoid some serious nausea. Not sure were that came from, but thankfully it went away in about an hour.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training in 35 degree weather for the past few weeks then running from 62-72 degree with humidty. Origanlly hoped for a 4:30 time.

Event comments:

I enjoyed this race a lot. My first marathon had to be with Mickey! Everything was well organized and met my expectations (except the weather). Even though we had 25,000 runners to start out with I was surprised to see how smoothly we started, ran, and finished. The Goofy Challenge has given me a new motovator. Either I'll hit it this year or wait for 2015 and it's 10th anniversary!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-17 12:00 AM
Running
04:55:26 | 26.2 miles | 11m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 557/1347
Overall: 6187/20680
Performance: Average
I'll add it whem I upload my Garmin
Course: Hit all four theme parks, ESPN and ran around a race car track...how cool was that?
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-01-17 3:59 PM

User image

Peekskill, NY
Subject: Walt Disney World Marathon

2013-01-21 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4583249

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World Marathon
Congratulations! That's a hell of a medal.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World Marathon Rss Feed