General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splints and/or plantar Fasciitis questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-17 4:05 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Shin Splints and/or plantar Fasciitis questions

Ok so i have a project im working on through my internship for strength and conditioning. I basically just wanted to see what you all have done/heard/had success with invloving stoping/preventing Shin Splints and/or plantar Fasciitis

Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

2013-01-17 5:17 PM
in reply to: #4583261

User image

Veteran
Denver area
Subject: RE: Shin Splints and/or plantar Fasciitis questions

I had chronic shin splints and apparently PF (although I didn't know about it).  My calf muscles would also get incredibly tight, to the point where my left foot would go numb while running from lack of circulation.  As a result, I stress fractured my left heel.  Lots of money spent on Dr visits and PT - it was my PT who figured out the root cause.  My PF and calf were so tight it pulled my heel to the point of fracture.

What am I doing differently?

• Had a video gait analysis done by a PT and have re-vamped my run form.  I thought I was mid-foot striking but I was still heel striking (was doing a weird pendulum leg swing thing). 
  • Exercises (mainly upper and med glut) to correct muscle imbalances.  My calves were doing most of the work and that's why they were so jacked up.
  • Dry needling at first to release my calves.  Maintenance is achieved by regular (7-14 days) deep tissue massage.
  • Self massage of my PF nightly (or as often as I remember)

I've been running 3 months and (knock on wood) no shin splits.  Calves still get tight (I think from skiing, not running) but massage is doing a good job to control that.

2013-01-17 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Broomall, PA
Combination of problems here. Initially had a fasciotomy to relieve Chronic exertional compartment syndrome. The symptoms from that are all but gone and it was a tremendous success. Now I'm on to battling shin splits, particularly medial tibial. Gait analysis like the guy above showed severe over pronation, which is what caused the shin splints. I tried half a dozen shoes and nothing helped. Eventually I learned to fix the problem, not band aid it with shoes. I run with minimalist shoes, focusing on mid foot striking. Twice a day I do exercises with a theraband, flexion, abduction, addiction, etc. I ice bath up to my knees after every single run along with stretching and massage. Getting stronger and taking mileage increases extremely slowly
2013-01-17 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
For years, I would get horrible shin splints and then give up on running. I finally learned about proper form after starting to get them again when I tried running again last summer. For me, I was overextending and landing on my heel. I changed up my running style to land on my forefoot and have my center of gravity be over my foot. I made a lot of progress, but it wasn't until I got my Newton's that I got a lot better. Newton's will give you a painful reminder (on your heel) if you are still partially landing on your heel. Now my form is much better and I am shin splint free.
2013-01-17 7:02 PM

User image

Seneca, South Carolina

I have had a lot of problems with shin splints and still have not found a complete solution. I heel walk to strengthen tib anterior and stand on a step and drop my heels lower than the ball of my foot for 1 to 2 minutes to get a better calf stretch. I've tried ice massage to relieve acute pain. I've used foam rollers for self massage. I've tried compression socks and neoprene sleeve but they only help a little. 

I'm a big guy 6 ft 240 lbs. I'm a supinator, walking and running on the outside of my feet. Also I have high arches. 

I'm beginning to have the beginning of shin splint pain on the treadmill now. I think I run with a mid-foot strike but may need to video my stride just to make sure. Might try some different shoes as well.

2013-01-17 7:32 PM

User image

Expert
McAllen
My solution was loosening up my calf muscles. Twice a week I do a self-deep tissue massage with trigger point therapy balls and foam rolling, and haven't had splints since.

2013-01-18 6:26 AM

User image

Veteran

I have had quite a time with shin splints resulting in 2 tibial stress fractures.

I have been increasing mileage shin splint free (knock on wood) recently. What has worked for me is:

• Foam roller every night and stretching after runs. Icing at night.
  • Running 3 days per week
  • Increasing mileage slowly - long runs add 5 mins per week
  • SLOWING DOWN - i think this is a big one. When I go fast I think my from suffers.
  • Taking a day off if my shins hurt
  • If my calves feel tight, wear calf sleeves to bed

I've had small bouts of plantar fasciitis but nothing debilitating. Here is what I do when I get  a flare up:

• Roll my foot on a golf ball throughout the day
  • Icing
  • Wear arch support inserts in all shoes, including work shoes.
2013-01-18 6:57 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I had a nasty bout with PF a few years ago.  The ultimate solution to recovery was no running for about 6 months and custom orthotics.

Since then, I have ditched the orthotics.  I go barefoot around the house at all times.  I think my PF developed, in part, because I wore house clogs (felt wool kind) around the house all the time and my feet just got lazy and out of shape.  I also do not wear any sort of flip flops.  These seem to lead to PF symptoms.

I have changed my running style to higher cadence as well.  Now I wear minimalist shoes (Brooks PureFlow).

Probably the most important --- at the first sign of PF symptoms --- I back off my running for a few days.

2013-01-19 11:09 AM

User image

Regular

have you guys tried any dorsiflexion exercises? These muscles in the front of your shin are rarely strengthened and then causes the calves to over work, cramp etc.. and then causes these muscles to be strained.

grab a partner, sit on your but with knees somewhat bent, and literally have someone pull your feet towards them, focus very hard on resisting them and then when you get to the bottom, do not rest or jerk, keep pulling and then there job is to resist you while allowing you to gradually bring your foot as close to your shin as you can and do this until "failure"... it takes a lot of motivational stuff from your partner to keep you going... every rep should be at a near constant speed and start at 75% the first 2 reps and also something to pre exhaust them is a good idea

2013-01-19 11:15 AM

New user
Atlanta
lost the shoes and lost the problems.
2013-01-19 12:08 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

I've had some luck with reducing and/or even eliminating shin splints in some clients by getting them to reduce their stride length and increase their cadence.

Shin splints can be caused by over-striding which results in a hard heel strike in front of the center of gravity.  Shortening up the stride so the foot strike occurs under the COG reduces both the tendency to dorsiflex the foot (possibly stressing the tibialis anterior) and the impact forces that can occur when combining heel striking with over striding.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin Splints and/or plantar Fasciitis questions Rss Feed