Walt Disney World Endurance Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 6s
Overall Rank = 3672/23126
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 479/950
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3am, had a bowl of oatmeal and headed out for the bus to Epcot. Ate a Power Bar on the bus along with Gatorade. Bus ride to the start took forever, somehow our bus driver got caught up in all the other traffic. Got to the start area and had time to drop off a bag, walk to the start line and the race started within 5 minutes of our arriving.
Event warmup:

Long, brisk walk to the start line from the bag drop off area.
Run
  • 2h 07m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Part one of the Goofy Challenge. I knew going into this it was going to be a tough weekend. I completed IM AZ in November, then took three weeks completely off to recover from that. As a result my training and running over December was dismal at best. In hindsight signing up for the Goofy Challenge so soon after an Ironman was a bad idea, but I might as well make the best of it. I went back and forth in my mind leading up to this half on whether or not I wanted to just run the half for a decent time and suffer on the marathon as a result, or take it easy on the half and hopefully not suffer on the marathon. I think I finally made the decision around mile 5 to just bring my pace back to around 9:30-9:40/mile and enjoy this race. I started to get some pain in my knee around mile 11 which worried me a bit, I was able to catch the last medical station and put some biofreeze on it which helped at the time.
What would you do differently?:

Train properly for the weekend and either not take so much time off after Arizona or not schedule this kind of race so close to another.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking from finish line back to buses.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Under-trained and the unusual FL heat and humidity. Two weeks prior to this race I was doing another half in -2F temps!

Event comments:

This is a great, fun race and I'd not hesitate to do it again. That being said it's not a "race" as much as an event, I wouldn't come here looking for a PR. I was really looking forward to a post-race massage since I was running the marathon the next day, I was a little disappointed that they were charging $ for the massage tent. Crowd and volunteer support is excellent and I felt that Disney does a great job accommodating the huge race field. It's not a cheap race, but once you see how much logistics goes into it I can understand the entry fee.

Last updated: 2012-09-11 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:06 | 13.1 miles | 09m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 479/950
Overall: 3672/23126
Performance: Average
Course: One big loop through Magic Kingdom, ending through Epcot.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes