USA Triathlon
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 23m 57s
Overall Rank = 383/532
Age Group = F20-24
Age Group Rank = 8/12
Pre-race routine:

Friday night I went to the packet pickup and registered Richard and myself. It was like an hour drive each way, so I didn't get home till almost 9.
I was hoping to go to bed early, but with all the preparations and so little time, I ended up going to bed at 11:30. Set alarm for 3:30 to make sure we had enough time to get to the start on time.
I would have been Ok if this was the only night on little sleep. However, I'd been sleep deprived the whole past week. Basically, I was at least 2 full nights of sleep behind.
No surprise, I slept through the alarm. Good thing, Richard woke up at about 4:30 and woke me up. We only had about 20 mins before we had to be on the road if we were going to make it. Luckily, we got all of our gear ready to go the night before. So we were Ok, except that we didn't get enough time to eat a solid breakfast, drink a cup of coffee, and take our time in the bathroom.
We got to the start line just after 6am. My wave was to start the swim at 6:30. One of the volunteers was screaming that everybody has to get out of the transition area and go to the beach NOW, as we were just entering the transtion and getting marked.
The transition setup was super rushed. I didn't get enough time to put sun screen and body glide on, just threw everything down and the first spot I saw (there weren't many left), grabbed my wet suit, goggles and swim cap and headed off to the beach.
Event warmup:

Not much. The jog to the swim start - about 1/4 mile. Ate a GU at the beach 10 min before start. Did about 50 yards warm up swim.
Swim
  • 37m 59s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 32s / 100 meters
Comments:

I wasn't as confident during the swim as I was hoping for. I swam pretty steady pace, the whole time, it was a slow pace though. The whole time I was just waiting for it to end. I was't enjoying it. I had some weird scratchy fluid buildup in my throat too, so it was kind of difficult to breathe. Not that I was ever in trouble or panicing, but I was constantly thinking that I might break down any minute and that messed with my head. Good thing that they didn't have any kayaks (at least I didn't see any). Otherwise, I may have repeated the Boulder trick - just hang on to the boat for awhile. One good thing - I think my navigation was good this time, I felt like I was on track the whole time. After I finally got out of the water, I had to catch my breath and couldn't really run that 1/4 mile to the T1, instead I jogged/walked, as I tried to pull the top part of my wet suit off and watched a bunch of people pass me on that little stretch.
What would you do differently?:

First, I really need to improve my technique and balance. Instead of trying to be faster I am struggling not to drown, and that is no way to race. (Kind of unfair - at least those who are not so good at running don'r really fight for their lives in the running leg, they can just walk the whole way. In the swimming leg, if you can't swim, you are out of luck - hopefully, the swimming cap was bright enough, that you can easily be discovered from the surface ;)) I know that just doing a mile swim twice a week does not produce any improvement. I have high hopes about TI drills. I am planning to execute all of them before I do another free style lap in the pool.
Second, I need to figure out how to just take my mind off swimming while I am in the water and not get tricked into those open water panic memories again. I didn't have any of that during the Stroke and Stride, or in the Bay in San Fran, I don't understan why it tried to come back again during this race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Transition went smooth except for the wet suit getting stuck on my heels for a little longer than I'd like to see. After that walk/jog to T1, I finally caught my breath and was moving fast in the transition area. After I had my wet suit off, I put the helmet and sunglasses on, consumed a GU, put socks and bike shoes on (I am not capable of putting my shoes on while I ride or running a 10K with no socks), and ran off to the bike start.

I'd like to learn how to jump on bike and put my shoes on while riding, but overall I am pleased with my T1
Bike
  • 1h 53m 9s
  • 32 miles
  • 16.97 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride was pretty dissappointing. I was hoping to be able to do at least 18 mph average. I ended up at 17, which is slower than last year :( Yes, it was windier and the course was longer, but I had 2,000 more miles under the belt at that point. I just couldn't get that velocity up even on the flats and slight uphills, needless to say on the steady uphills. My avg speed was just barely above what I did the Elephant Rock Century Gruop Ride, which was a casual ride and 3 times as long, I was even eating leftover pizza while riding at some point. Why do I ride so bad in races? I hope it was just the combination of sleep depriviation and exhaustion from the swim.

I think my bike training lacks some interval/speed sessions. I do a lot of hills, but maybe it's not enough and I should do more interval/tempo type rides on the flats.
Also I belive that the lack of sleep could have contributed to it too.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

T2 was great and smooth. No getting out of my shoes while biking, no jumping of bike, but I ran in with the bike fast and changed into my running shoes, I put my helmet, glasses, and racing belt on in the first couple hundred yards while already running.

Nothing, it was a good T2
Run
  • 49m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Not as fast as I wanted to, but steady. I didn't have to walk, but couldn't run fast either. I had some breathing issues again, similar to what I had during the swim

Do more bricks. Get back on a running rutine now, that is's been a month after the marathon and the 4-month mark to NYC marathon is just around the corner.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched a little, walked around, layed on the grass

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough sleep! Also, being runshed in the morning and not being able to eat my oatmeal at home, drink coffee, etc. Didn't get enough time warm up before the swim either

Event comments:

Great post race food! It was great to chat with some new BT-ers I met

Last updated: 2006-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:59 | 1500 meters | 02m 32s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/12
Overall: 476/532
Performance: Bad
My actual swim time was 34:30. The results data includes the jog back to the transition area as part of the swim time. It was only about a 1/4 mile. I was not feeling so good though, and walked most of it, trying to pull the top of my wet suit off.
Suit: Full
Course: Clockwise loop. The lake/pond was really shallow this year, muddy bottom. Not the most pleasant swimming experience...
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:53:09 | 32 miles | 16.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 410/532
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Beautiful loop course going into the hills from Loveland to the lake and then back to town. Lots of rolling hills and some steady climbs, nothing too steep.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:49:38 | 06.21 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/12
Overall: 226/532
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-29 9:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Seattle
Subject: Loveland Lake to Lake

2006-06-29 9:53 AM
in reply to: #469575

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Subject: RE: Loveland Lake to Lake
Nice race!  Like I told Richard.  If you swim more your times on the bike and run will be faster.  The swim leg is short but it can take a ton of energy away form your energy stores.  Looks good, go swim adn kick in Boulder Peak.
2006-06-29 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Babes... don't put so much pressure on yourself. Your young not only in age but in aerobic endurance competition/training. In time you are going to dominate. You haven't even begun to reach your potential... For most people it takes years to fully develop endurance levels. You will do that and you will become a fluid swimmer. When that happens, watch out! Plus, at just 24, you have 6 years in your 20s to prepare for your PEAK years... The ladies are in trouble.
2006-06-29 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Babes... don't put so much pressure on yourself. Your young not only in age but in aerobic endurance competition/training. In time you are going to dominate. You haven't even begun to reach your potential... For most people it takes years to fully develop endurance levels. You will do that and you will become a fluid swimmer. When that happens, watch out! Plus, at just 24, you have 6 years in your 20s to prepare for your PEAK years... The ladies are in trouble.
2006-07-01 6:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Good job on your race!  I am still dreaming of the day I break 8min/mile on a run.  That is so cool (even if you think it was slow).  And I am with you on the swim thing!  Loved your comments about if you can't run, you can walk, but if you can't swim, well........    My thoughts exactly!  Dang swimming anyway!  LOL!

Anyway, enjoyed reading your race report!  Thanks for sharing it with us!

Diane

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Loveland Lake to Lake Rss Feed