2013-04-03 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4586301

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: 2013 cycling race report thread

haha, rephrased...

...I can't tt for 20 minutes On that course, with all the Cat 1-5 guys  :P

Next week... longer course, more (that is, a little) strategy!

2013-04-03 8:21 PM
in reply to: #4685906

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Leegoocrap - 2013-04-03 9:01 PM

haha, rephrased...

...I can't tt for 20 minutes On that course, with all the Cat 1-5 guys  :P

Next week... longer course, more (that is, a little) strategy!

Just don't show up with no sleeves and very short or no socks.  That gives it away that you plan on trying to ride off the front solo.

2013-04-03 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4682167

User image

Champion
jeng - 2013-04-01 3:18 PM

dalessit - 2013-03-28 5:22 PM I agree, great job Jen, I have my first race of the season this weekend, short 12 mile TT but they have a 6-9 year old division that goes 6 miles so taking the kids out for their first road race ever.

Race report please! For the kids too.

Conquer the Canal TT in Chesapeake VA.

12 miles, pancake flat course, 6 miles out and 6 miles back on a completely closed course.  We mainly went to this one because they had a 6-9 year old race that was a 3 mile out and 3 mile back course on the same road and there were a few juniors on our team also racing.  I didn't realize until I talked to the promoter that day that the 6-9 year old race was a new race in USAC this year, I figured it was just a fun ride for them but my son had to do the gear roll out and everythign before the race.

We left DC Friday after work and pretty much sat in traffic for 5 hours for a normally 3 hr drive.  Got to the hotel, ate some pizza with the other families there, kids got to play in the pool so it was a mini vacation.

Arrived at the race site and got the kids registered, they were the first race of the day, starting at 7:30am.  The race director and I had been communicating beforehand and she suggested I ride behind my 6 year old.  My 9 year old son went off second, he has a 24" cross bike that I picked up road tires for so he'd have a better ride.  My daughter was 4th, her start time went off and we took off.  She bolted off the start and we were on our way.  We stopped once so I could help her shift, she had a hard time with gloves on turning the grip shifters on her 20" mtn bike.  We stopped again so I could put my gloves on her.  We stopped again so I could put her gloves back on her, then my gloves on top of her gloves.  It was pretty cold that morning and they were well dressed except for we probably should have put hand warmers in both their gloves.    We stopped again when an older kid rode by single legging it, his pedal had somehow come off and was still attached to his shoe, when he saw me he said in a very sad voice "my pedal came off"  I told him to stop, pulled the pedal off and screwed it back on for him, he was much happier and he sprinted off, who knows how logn he had been riding that way.

We were maybe 3/4 of the way there and my son came by, with a big gap over his 30 second man, he was smiling and flying down the road.  I found out after that his hands were so cold he couldn't shift his gears so he was high rpm the whole time.  About that time my daughter started complaining that she couldn't ride anymore because her hands were too cold.  This is when the 4 miles or so of parent psychology came into play.  We sang 100 bottles of beer on the wall, I told her we were just about at the half way point so we might as well keep on going.  We discussed that it would be better to stay on the bike and get there sooner, rather than take longer walking.  I told her that she could bring her number and pictures in after the race for sharing in class.  About 2 miles out I told her I could see the finish and we were inside a mile. 

About 500M out I asked her if she could even use the brakes and she said no, so I rode ahead, hopped off my bike and caught her as she rode by.

Talked to my wife real quick as she was about to get started and took the kids back so I could get a bit of a warmup.  Put the bike on the trainer for a few minutes then they were calling the 6-9 podium up.  I didn't realize they were even doing a podium, found out my son won the boys and there were only 2 girls and the other girl stopped and turned around before the half way point so both my kids won.  We swapped jerseys with a 10-12 junior on the team so my kids could both be in this years jersey (new sponsors).

Wife finished, she ended up 12th in the Cat 4 and I had about 15 minutes of warmup left, so tried to make the most of it, but 15 minutes for a 12 mile TT isn't much of a warmup.  Also realized I didn't bring the garmin mount so I was trying to figure out how to attach it.  One of the dads of the juniors brought me one as I was standing on the line at 10 seconds left I barely got it on and it was sideways so I rode the race with a sideways garmin.

Sprinted off the line standing up then got into aero, about that time I realized something was wrong.  When I got to the front of the saddle my knees were slamming into my elbows.  I spent the next mile or so shifting elbows up and/or butt back and it became extremely uncomfortable.  I had loaned the bike to  a teammate last season and I guess he moved the seat up and I didn't notice it.  I probably sat up on the horns most of the way out to the turn around.  2 years off the TT bike and one day of practicing on it wasn't nearly enought to get use to riding it.  About a mile after the turn around I was passed by a guy who started 1 minute behind me, then not long after the guy :30 seconds behind me.  There was a very long gap back to 4th and 5th place so even with that crappy ride I figured if I held on I would be 3rd.  Limped along and finished in just around 31:00, pretty bad time but was enough for third.

Made it to the podium, got my 3rd place envelope ($35.00) woo hoo!

Put the kids in the car, and made the 4+ hour drive back.

Even with 9 hours of driving in traffic we had a blast, was very cool to do a race as a whole family and it definitely got my son hooked, he was wearing his team jersey and hat all day and the next day.  He ended up getting his picture in the online paper from the podium.  He wasn't #13 that was the juniors jersey he borrowed.

http://hamptonroads.com/2013/03/photos-conquer-canal-time-trial-bike-race#1056021000.jpg

2013-04-03 9:57 PM
in reply to: #4685853

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Leegoocrap - 2013-04-03 5:00 PM

My very first Crit was tonight.

I got smmmmoooookkkkkeeeeeddddd. :P

As it turns out, you can't just try to time trial for 20 minutes...Embarassed

Don't worry, it happens to everyone in their racing career. Usually in their first few races Keep going, soon you'll be hanging with the group or going with the break!

2013-04-04 1:08 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
It sounds like you guy had fun on your mini TT vacation. Sorry to hear it was so cold. And I love that you fixed a kid's pedal. Hoping to read more about your daughter and son in the future. It sounds like your son will be crushing it.
2013-04-08 4:57 PM
in reply to: #4686871

User image

Champion

Sunday April 7, Jefferson Cup Road Race

35+ 3/4 60 miles

This course is a ten mile loop, rolling hills, one smaller climb that can be done in the big ring.

2 other teammates, in this field, we decided to sit in and see how things played out, if any one of got in a good break the rest would do our best to slow things down a bit.  With 3 it's tough to make more of a plan. 

We were surprised to see that we were also lined up with the 1/2/3 35+, that would obviously change the tempo of the race.  2 mile ride out to the start, got our instructions and we were off.  Big group, 100+, rolling closures so we had the whole road but there were some sections where going 45mph with a tight group made things a bit hairy.  Some good accelerations here and there, but there were tons of places to catch back up if the acceleration got too much.

Just finished the second lap and went around a corner and tried to shift and nothing happened, looked down and saw a wire sticking out from under my BB, raised my hand  and sifted back through the group and off the back to investigate.

Turned the bike upside down and my brain didn't seem to be working because I kept trying to figure out where to plug the wire back in to.  Couldn't figure it out so coasted back around the bend to the start line to let them know I was done for the day.  Rolled into the feed zone to help hand out bottles.  Started talking with someone about my wire coming loose and turned the bike over to show them, then it hit me, where was the battery?????

Ran back up around the bend looking all over the place, saw the battery in the middle of the road.  Right then a group came through and I was yelling at them to watch out for the battery, didn't need that getting run over and flying up into someones wheel.  When they went past I grabbed it off the road, looks like it might have been run over by one of the cars out on the course.  Went back, plugged it in and it wouldn't shift the rear derailleur but shifted the front one into the small ring which is what it's supposed to do when the battery runs out.

Hung out in the feed zone for the rest of the races handing out bottles and rode back to the car, lots of fun riding down a hill in the small ring, and 28 in the back (where it was stuck)  Lots of 150rpm bursts.

So 2 laps, 23mph avg, 45mph max for 53 minutes and 6 hours worth of there and back driving.

Took the bike to the shop today and they have never heard of anyones battery falling off, so I guess I'm just lucky that way, they did some adjustments and it's back to working, they modified the mount so it should be good to go now.

Next race is this Sunday so will see if I can keep the bike together for that one.

2013-04-10 8:21 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Well Crit #2 is in the books now.

After being totally humbled last week and finishing dead last, I did a little homework and tried to race smarter rather than harder.

I managed to get second place tonight! I had the legs to win but the guy that won gave the winning attack sooner than I thought and I got left... oh well, next week!

2013-04-11 6:17 AM
in reply to: #4695607

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
That's awesome Chris! Congratulations! It takes some time to figure out tactics in a race... took me a couple of years when I started racing (as a kid...) and I got dropped frequently because I burnt way too much energy in the beginning of the race. Once I figured out how to stay cool and not cover every single gap, but ride with the group and the hope it all stuck together for the sprint, I started to have some good success. Was always a bit too small to be a real sprinter, but I guess I was stubborn enough to make it work.

Haven't raced in years though... and I hate crits...
2013-04-11 7:46 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Thanks,

I'm still not sure what exactly to think about crits. In two races I've seen two people go down hard... guess that's part of it. It's a bit nerve wracking not just thinking "am I doing something stupid" but also "is that guy over there about to do something stupid" still I had fun, so that's something!

2013-04-11 8:35 AM
in reply to: #4695943

Pro
yep,
Leegoocrap - 2013-04-11 8:46 AM

Thanks,

I'm still not sure what exactly to think about crits. In two races I've seen two people go down hard... guess that's part of it. It's a bit nerve wracking not just thinking "am I doing something stupid" but also "is that guy over there about to do something stupid" still I had fun, so that's something!

Comes with part of racing crits.  Sorta like demolition derby.  I stick to Circuit races (offering a bit more space) and road races. 

2013-04-11 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4695607

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Leegoocrap - 2013-04-10 8:21 PM

Well Crit #2 is in the books now.

After being totally humbled last week and finishing dead last, I did a little homework and tried to race smarter rather than harder.

I managed to get second place tonight! I had the legs to win but the guy that won gave the winning attack sooner than I thought and I got left... oh well, next week!

Nice job Chris!  That is a nice improvement  From last to almost winning in one week!

2013-04-11 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4695943

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
Leegoocrap - 2013-04-11 5:46 AM

Thanks,

Nice racing, great job. Crits can be pretty intense and there is a lot of stuff that can go on. I've been in races that are total crash-fests, and races that felt safer than a team group ride. Unfortunately it's hard to tell what it's going to be before it starts. I've also seen crashes in road races, circuit races, time trials and tris so avoiding crits isn't a guarantee of no crashes.

2013-04-11 1:09 PM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

^ Oh for sure

I broke my collarbone going about 6mph in the park a few years ago. I've went down waaay harder in races and not had anything but some road rash to show for it...

I shall continue critting until the series ends, and then try to find another soon after. Anything that lets me stay on my bike

2013-04-13 4:40 PM

Pro
yep,

RGS Chantilly Circuit Race - 1.2 mile look with two right hand turns.  Last turn is 200m from the finish after a big ring gradual climb.

Cat 5 - 30 mins

Started out the race feeling really good with some consistent training the past few weeks after getting 100% from my patella tendonitis injury and coming off of a sinus infection about 3 weeks ago.

Lined up near the front and the first lap was super slow.  After the 2nd lap made my way toward the front 5 guys and stayed up there for a lap, again slow pace.  Got tired of the slow pace and pulled through to the front to pick it up and stretch the group out.  Got to the hill and allowed the group to swarm through and settled back in the pack.  

Around this time a two guys jumped towards the left hand side and developed a break.  One of my teammates went with him and was able to bridge up.  We made sure to control the pace and not do any of the effort.  

Lap 4 or 5 a crash happened towards my left hand side and split the peloton a bit, but was able to group together pretty quickly.  Luckily none of my teammates went down. 

Few more laps and we come around the last turn towards the start/finish and we hear the last lap bell.  Everyone then proceeds to HAMMER IT!  My teammate Matt lets out a LEEEROOY JENKINS call and gets on the front to hammer it.  We hit the first turn and I move up from 6-7 wheel to about 2-3.  Head towards the last hill and Matt is gassed.  I sit on the wheel of a new teammate and then launch my sprint about 300 M till the finish.  I last about 150 meters and my legs are blown.  I try to keep going but get passed by about 5-6 guys near the end.  Cross the line 11th spent but happy.  

Teammates ended up 3rd, 4th, 7th and me 11th, and a ton around 20+.  Needless to say I need to work on top end sprint speed, right when you need to speed up.  Also need to work on holding a high effort when legs are heavy.

Got another race tomorrow for one of my final Cat 5 races.  Should be good.  

2013-04-13 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4699094

User image

Champion
Dlaxman31 - 2013-04-13 5:40 PM

RGS Chantilly Circuit Race - 1.2 mile look with two right hand turns.  Last turn is 200m from the finish after a big ring gradual climb.

Cat 5 - 30 mins

Started out the race feeling really good with some consistent training the past few weeks after getting 100% from my patella tendonitis injury and coming off of a sinus infection about 3 weeks ago.

Lined up near the front and the first lap was super slow.  After the 2nd lap made my way toward the front 5 guys and stayed up there for a lap, again slow pace.  Got tired of the slow pace and pulled through to the front to pick it up and stretch the group out.  Got to the hill and allowed the group to swarm through and settled back in the pack.  

Around this time a two guys jumped towards the left hand side and developed a break.  One of my teammates went with him and was able to bridge up.  We made sure to control the pace and not do any of the effort.  

Lap 4 or 5 a crash happened towards my left hand side and split the peloton a bit, but was able to group together pretty quickly.  Luckily none of my teammates went down. 

Few more laps and we come around the last turn towards the start/finish and we hear the last lap bell.  Everyone then proceeds to HAMMER IT!  My teammate Matt lets out a LEEEROOY JENKINS call and gets on the front to hammer it.  We hit the first turn and I move up from 6-7 wheel to about 2-3.  Head towards the last hill and Matt is gassed.  I sit on the wheel of a new teammate and then launch my sprint about 300 M till the finish.  I last about 150 meters and my legs are blown.  I try to keep going but get passed by about 5-6 guys near the end.  Cross the line 11th spent but happy.  

Teammates ended up 3rd, 4th, 7th and me 11th, and a ton around 20+.  Needless to say I need to work on top end sprint speed, right when you need to speed up.  Also need to work on holding a high effort when legs are heavy.

Got another race tomorrow for one of my final Cat 5 races.  Should be good.  

Good job CJ.  I'll see you out there tomorrow.

2013-04-14 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

First two cycling races in the books!

Aaron Shafer Memorial Road Race in Sparta, TN.  Cliff's Notes: Snoozing in the pack, I lost the front breakaway on the main climb, chased with the first chasing pack, got caught by the second chasing pack, finished as a group with the front half of the field.  

Full report here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=484415

and the 2nd race of the day- the Fragrant Mushroom Time Trial.  Cliff's notes: Tired from race #1.  Even though it was my first "official" TT it's a much more familiar format for me. Managed to pull out the W.

Full report here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=484416

Thanks again to all who provided advice!

2013-04-14 7:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Bedford, NH

First race of the season. 

Race: Tour of the Battenkill 2013 – CAT 5 45+

Course:  64.9 miles, ~5000 feet of climbing, 10 dirt sections.

Goals:  This is my first ever road race so my real goal is to finish in 1 piece with no mechanical issues.  But I would be happy if I can hang with the lead group until the final climb and see what happens.  Top 10 would be great. 

Plan: Do what I can to stay in lead group.  Don’t chase any breakaways for first 40 miles.  Stay out of the wind as much as possible.  Keep focus on dirt sections.  I know I wont be able to bomb down like the rest and will have to burn matches to catch up if they attack.

Weather:  Rain, sleet and snow the day before.  Mostly cloudy and 48 degrees at start.  Chance for light rain.  Turned out to be great racing conditions.  No complaints.  Dirt sections were mostly in good condition.  Lots of pot holes and soft in a few places. 

Set up:  Cervelo RS, Zipp 404’s with 25mm Conti 4000s.  Blue Steel Short Sleeve Team kit, Craft base layer, Pearl Izumi tights under bibs.  Arm Warmers, Capo Winter Skull Cap.  I thought I would be too cold, but it turned out to work out well.  I wouldn’t make any changes.  If it was a little warmer out though, I probably would have been too warm and need to adjust.

Nutrition: 2 Bottles.  One with 2 scoops of HEED and one with 2 scoops of Perpetuem.  1 clif Bar and 1 Gel Flask.  Ate 30% of clif bar and 2 shots of gel. No real issues here.

Execution: First 1km was neutralized   One guy took off right after the neutral section was over, motor pacing with the pace car.  Everyone laughed.  There was still 64 miles of racing.  First 5 miles was an easy pace and I stayed near the front.  I made sure I stayed there heading over the covered bridge and on the first climb.  We seemed to drop 5-10 people on the first climb.  It was fairly un-eventful for the next 40 or so miles.  I was expecting more attacks and a faster pace.  But nobody wanted to take the lead.  Faster pace up the climbs, but most people regrouped on the descent since nobody wanted to attack.  I ended up taking the lead more than I wanted, but wasn’t too worried since I was pulling less than 170 watts leading.  I even dropped the pace to 15mph, but nobody wanted to pull thru.  I think this field ended up being one of the slower CAT 5 Fields. 

Finish:  It all came down to the final climb.  The pack was down to around 15 people and I had 3 other teammates with me.  One other team had 2 of the winners from last year in this group.    We all stayed together until the last half mile of the climb.  One of the other guys broke away.  We tried to follow but everyone was already buried.  Going over the summit, he had a 30 second lead.  5 miles left to the finish.  The chase group was now down to around 8-9 people.  Everyone hammered the descent and we started a nice rotating pace line at the bottom.  At this point though, my legs were on fire and even a 3 second pull thru was painful.  I was surprised how well everyone worked together up thru the final turn.  I was a little out of position going into the final turn and fell off the back by 20 feet and couldn’t catch back on.  Not that I really had the legs to sprint if I was able to stay in the chase.  The breakaway held and he ended up winning by 29 seconds.   I finished a few seconds behind the chase group and ended up in 7th.  One of my teammates ended up in 2nd and the other in 8th.  Overall, I was very happy with my results.  The race was a blast and I definitely want to do this again. 

Next Race:  Tentatively planning for Tour of the Dragons Stage Race (Bennington, VT) – May 4-5

2013-04-15 4:47 PM
in reply to: #4699915

User image

Champion
mjengstrom - 2013-04-14 8:06 PM

First race of the season. 

Race: Tour of the Battenkill 2013 – CAT 5 45+

Course:  64.9 miles, ~5000 feet of climbing, 10 dirt sections.

Goals:  This is my first ever road race so my real goal is to finish in 1 piece with no mechanical issues.  But I would be happy if I can hang with the lead group until the final climb and see what happens.  Top 10 would be great. 

Plan: Do what I can to stay in lead group.  Don’t chase any breakaways for first 40 miles.  Stay out of the wind as much as possible.  Keep focus on dirt sections.  I know I wont be able to bomb down like the rest and will have to burn matches to catch up if they attack.

Weather:  Rain, sleet and snow the day before.  Mostly cloudy and 48 degrees at start.  Chance for light rain.  Turned out to be great racing conditions.  No complaints.  Dirt sections were mostly in good condition.  Lots of pot holes and soft in a few places. 

Set up:  Cervelo RS, Zipp 404’s with 25mm Conti 4000s.  Blue Steel Short Sleeve Team kit, Craft base layer, Pearl Izumi tights under bibs.  Arm Warmers, Capo Winter Skull Cap.  I thought I would be too cold, but it turned out to work out well.  I wouldn’t make any changes.  If it was a little warmer out though, I probably would have been too warm and need to adjust.

Nutrition: 2 Bottles.  One with 2 scoops of HEED and one with 2 scoops of Perpetuem.  1 clif Bar and 1 Gel Flask.  Ate 30% of clif bar and 2 shots of gel. No real issues here.

Execution: First 1km was neutralized   One guy took off right after the neutral section was over, motor pacing with the pace car.  Everyone laughed.  There was still 64 miles of racing.  First 5 miles was an easy pace and I stayed near the front.  I made sure I stayed there heading over the covered bridge and on the first climb.  We seemed to drop 5-10 people on the first climb.  It was fairly un-eventful for the next 40 or so miles.  I was expecting more attacks and a faster pace.  But nobody wanted to take the lead.  Faster pace up the climbs, but most people regrouped on the descent since nobody wanted to attack.  I ended up taking the lead more than I wanted, but wasn’t too worried since I was pulling less than 170 watts leading.  I even dropped the pace to 15mph, but nobody wanted to pull thru.  I think this field ended up being one of the slower CAT 5 Fields. 

Finish:  It all came down to the final climb.  The pack was down to around 15 people and I had 3 other teammates with me.  One other team had 2 of the winners from last year in this group.    We all stayed together until the last half mile of the climb.  One of the other guys broke away.  We tried to follow but everyone was already buried.  Going over the summit, he had a 30 second lead.  5 miles left to the finish.  The chase group was now down to around 8-9 people.  Everyone hammered the descent and we started a nice rotating pace line at the bottom.  At this point though, my legs were on fire and even a 3 second pull thru was painful.  I was surprised how well everyone worked together up thru the final turn.  I was a little out of position going into the final turn and fell off the back by 20 feet and couldn’t catch back on.  Not that I really had the legs to sprint if I was able to stay in the chase.  The breakaway held and he ended up winning by 29 seconds.   I finished a few seconds behind the chase group and ended up in 7th.  One of my teammates ended up in 2nd and the other in 8th.  Overall, I was very happy with my results.  The race was a blast and I definitely want to do this again. 

Next Race:  Tentatively planning for Tour of the Dragons Stage Race (Bennington, VT) – May 4-5

Very nice, 7th at Battenkill is solid.

2013-04-15 5:00 PM

User image

Champion

Carl Dolan Circuit race 35+ open. 45 minutes

This course is one of my favorite in the area, one 90 degree turn and after the turn is a bit over 1k up a hill to the finish.

Had quite a few teammates in this race, a lot that had already done the 45+ a couple hours earlier.  My plan as it always here is to stay middle of the field to front out of the wind.  I did this same race last year and the cat 5 the year before and they both finished as a bunch which is pretty typical for this race.

Pace started out pretty hard for the first 2 laps then a small group took off and a teammate made the break, I assumed the break wouldn't go anywhere so didn't move too much expecting it to come back.  After another lap the gap had opened so more of my team moved to the front to lock down breaks.  Another group got up the road and I had 2 teammates in that one so two of us went to the front and took turns working the front and pretty much did this for the rest of the race.  Neither of us knew if we were doing any good, either all the guys behind us had teammates up the road or not one was interested in doing much of anything.  

Around the final turn I was on the front and legs were a bit tired from being up there for 4-5 laps so I opened up a gap off the turn and saw how much I had left, I got about half way up the hill and legs were just too tired and there were plenty of guys up the road it wasn't worth fighting for 25th so coasted in for somewhere near the back of the pack finish.

Guy in the first break ended up 7th, turns out there were 2 former pro's in the race, maybe that's why the break stuck.  

Biggest thing for me is I was able to hang with the group which included 1's, 2's and 3's so I was pretty happy about that fact.  Being the rare masters race that hasn't been racing for 20+ years I have a long way to go to figure out all the race tactics at that level.  I could have followed the breaks up the road but was worried about dragging people up and the indecision about whether or not to go took the time I would have needed to catch the fast moving wheels.

It's easy to say you're going to do X or Y, but when you only have a second to decide it's a lot tougher.

2013-04-15 5:46 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ

Sounds like everyone has some great racing going on! Great job by everybody!

Tumacacori RR - Cat 4
Tuma is regarded by many as the hardest road race in AZ. It's a ~6 mile circuit with ~500 ft of climbing per lap, mostly in 4 sharp climbs in a row, and steady rollers through the rest of the course. The first hill is 0.75 miles and starts at an easy 3%, ending with a 12% bump. Hill two starts shortly after and is 0.2 miles at 11%. A short reprieve to get your breath, and hill 3 kicks in at 15.5% for 0.2 miles. The final hill is an easy 8.5% for 0.15 miles. Over the top you turn into a mild crosswind that picked up through the day. A few turns and rollers, and you're back to the hills. The roads are marginal at best, and on the climbs your back wheel bounces around so much that you're better off sitting to keep the weight on the back if possible. The cat 4 race was 7 laps.

Lap 1, I'm first off the line and try to keep it a little sane. My race goal is to stay in a good position and go for a top 5 finish. People trade half-hearted pulls in anticipation of the upcoming climbs. One person attacks and nobody shows interest in chasing. People recognize him from a race a few weeks ago where he did the same thing and eventually was caught and dropped. As we go over the climbs, I can already feel the hurt. I'm in the middle of a build phase, so I didn't get any rest before the race. That's what I tell myself anyway. I make it over the hill with the group, but we don't catch the solo break. I'm already trashed, my legs hurt and my heart is pounding. We dropped at least 3 (of ~28) people on the first lap.

Lap 2... The hills, oh these hills! More than once I hoped for a flat. There were no chase vehicles allowed on the course and my legs were burning. If I got a flat, I could honorably withdraw from the race. I led up a few of the climbs so that we would keep a steady pace and I could stay with the group. At some point, an internet friend named Robert introduced himself. I'm not sure if it was the end of the first or second lap. The pace was fairly light at this time and I had caught my breath, so we chat it up a bit. It's his first race as a 4, so I was expecting someone a little more, uh, portly. Unfortunately he's some youngster that's cut like Peter Sagan or Tom Boonen. I guess I won't be smugly dropping him on the climbs. There's also a pesky junior who keeps attacking every chance he gets (he's a buddy of mine and probably has 50+ points but is not upgrading until after Tour de Gila).

Lap something. My brain can no longer count that high. The winds are picking up and people are dropping like flies on the hills. I'm lucky to be hanging on to the group every climb. The attacking junior and one of Robert's teammates get away in a chase group (or is that another break?). Every hill is like a million needles stabbing deep into my thighs. Robert and I are the only ones working to bring back the break. With a left crosswind, he's staying on the left side of the road giving everyone a free ride. When I get the chance, I tell him to go to the right and put everyone in the gutter. He proceeds to put everyone, including me, into the gutter. I don't have the breath to tell him to leave room for me! We continue to trade pulls in an attempt to bring people back. Putting everyone in the gutter has put the hurt on even more. Our group is getting smaller. At one point I ask Robert how he's doing. 'Doing fine!' he says with a smile. Since he's new, I believe him. More experienced riders know you only say you're doing well if you're hurting. He'll learn.

Lap who-gives-a-crap-because-it's-not-the-last-one. The 'peloton' is down to 5. Two of the guys had gotten away but we reeled them back in (not the junior and Robert's teammate. They were long gone.). One of them keeps attacking at the bottom of the climbs only to be captured by the top. I am hurting. Those needles in my thighs are now alternatively burning and freezing. I think to myself that this is the last time I'll be able to stay with them. I even tell one of the guys that this could be my last time with the group. He gives me some encouraging words and doesn't attack. That means he was hurting too. I stick to Robert's wheel, as he's a steady climber. Past the climbs, Robert and I continue working together with my new friend-who-didn't-attack. We've dropped one of the two guys from the captured break, and the attacker is now trying to suck wheels. We alternately put him in the gutter or make him pull through. He's hurting and I'm recovering a little. Then Robert gets a flat. He drops off, with no hope of ever catching us or even getting another wheel so he can finish the race. I give a little wave, wishing I could do more. Now we're down to 3 - friend-who-didn't-attack, the wheelsucker (formerly known as the attacker), and me.

Final lap. How do I know? Not sure. One thing I know is that I'm a little recovered. I just want to get over the climbs. Assuming no mechanicals, I can at least get 6th (because we never caught the early breaks). The pins in my thighs are now alternating hot and cold with jolts of electricity. I again lead up the climbs with the knowledge that this is the last time. I keep a solid pace, but the other two stay with me. My heart is exploding and my thighs threaten to lock up. Every time I stand to climb, my rear wheel slips and skips on the uneven ground. Rocks shoot out from under my tires. As we crest the final hill, I tell myself it's time to bring some pain of my own. But first I have to catch my breath...

We turn into the crosswind. As has become routine, I put the others in the gutter and push. Hard. Not a sprint, but a hard pace. Nobody tries to pass. The wheelsucker does everything he can to hang on. We turn into the wind and descend a roller. I tuck as tightly as possible, take a few breaths and hammer up the other side. My momentum takes me most of the way up without needing too much energy. We turn back into a crosswind, which means back into the gutter for them. Hammer, hammer, hammer. Nobody has attacked so I must be doing something right. Or I'm doing a great job leading them out. Final turn to the finish line, going downwind. I push hard through the turn. Both wheels are skipping on the horrible pavement, my chain clicking and bouncing as I downshift. Time to ramp it up again. At some point we dropped the wheelsucker, but I don't know this. Down a roller, hard up the other side. Over the top, about 300M out, friend-who-didn't-attack attacks. I hear it coming and swerve into his draft. I'm two lengths back but getting good air. I start my sprint. We're going downhill, with a tailwind, and I'm catching him. We hit the uphill of the final roller. The finish line is at the top. I'm out of the saddle, he's out of the saddle. Our speed is just over 40 MPH but everything is in slow motion. As I pass him up the hill, he screams in pain and stops pedaling. I find out later that his legs locked up on him during the sprint. I blow past him and cross the finish uncontested for 4th.

This was the hardest and most fun race I've ever done. It would have been nice to have caught the break(s), but not enough people seemed interested and I wasn't confident that I could go much harder or solo for the whole race. The solo break won the race, alone the whole time. The junior took 2nd, dropping Robert's teammate on the last lap, who took 3rd.

2013-04-15 6:23 PM
in reply to: #4701585

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Good race report. It was fun to read that one.

2013-04-15 6:33 PM
in reply to: #4701635

User image

Champion

jeng - 2013-04-15 7:23 PM Good race report. It was fun to read that one.

agree, that was a great read.

2013-04-16 1:37 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Sweet. All the rr's are awesome. 

It's good living vicariously through you all.

2013-04-16 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
Felt like I was right there with you (but oh so glad it was your thighs in all that pain, not mine!)
2013-04-17 9:47 AM

Pro
yep,

great race report.  Course sounds pretty painful, especially those last few turns too!

Congrats on 4th.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2013 cycling race report thread Rss Feed  

of 4