General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Pete Beach Classic - Sunset Beach Fun Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Pete Beach Classic - Sunset Beach Fun Run - Run4 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. Petersburg, Florida
United States
St. Pete Beach Classic
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 34m 8s
Overall Rank = 13/41
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Well, I'm typing up this race report from home on Sunday. I was scheduled to run the half marathon today to complete the Marathon Challenge (26.2 miles run over 4 races), but I'm too tired and sore to do so. Decided last night not to run today. These three runs really beat me up and took a lot out of me.
Event warmup:

When I got home from the 10k I gave my legs a nice frigid dip in the pool. Felt really good. Alleviated a lot of the soreness. Took a nap in the afternoon. Legs felt okay. Tired, but okay. That lasted about 10 seconds after the start of the run.

Didn't do much of a warmup. Actually didn't do anything except walk around just before the start.
Run
  • 34m 8s
  • 3.8 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

This was one of the toughest runs I've ever done. As soon as I started running I knew I was in trouble. My legs were hurting big time. My left foot was aching and my right hip was killing me. I tried everything to adjust my stride but it was one long suffer-fest. I thought about bagging it but, being stubborn, kept going.

Made it to the turn around and headed back to the finish. I kept plodding along until about about a mile and a half left where I encountered the drunk guy. lol This guy had started the run just blitzed. He went flying out of the gate until he ran out of gas where I caught up with him. Well, when I passed him that's when the profanities started. He was half-seriously calling me everything under the sun! You a*****e, you b***h, you bastard! You're my little b***h! I'm gonna get you! I was laughing so hard I could barely breathe. So I kept yelling back at him, 'come on man! gotta catch me! whose the b***h!' We went back and for like this for a few minutes until I pulled away and just gunned it. I started running 8 min miles, which for me at that time was nuts. Most of the pain in my legs went away and I just chugged along. It was tough but I kept going until the end. Every now and again I'd hear the drunk guy yelling in the distance. Funny stuff.
What would you do differently?:

Well, just disappointed that I wasn't able to complete the weekend. I know I've done much in the last week so I'm trying to keep it in perspective. The mind was definitely willing but the body is not yet able. I'll try again next year. Maybe without doing a HIM the week before. lol Still, I'm glad I did these runs. If you don't try you'll never know your limits.
Post race
Warm down:

Staggered back to the food tent. Did some stretching during the walk back from the beach. They had some really good pasta and garlic bread.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See previous race reports. LOL

Event comments:

Again, this was a fun weekend. Well, at least Saturday was. Not sure what happened Sunday, but it was probably good.

Last updated: 2013-01-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:08 | 03.8 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 13/41
Performance: Below average
Course: Simple out and back along the beach. The timing mat was up on the soft stuff, so once we started everyone made a beeline for the wet hard-pack. We then had to run back up onto the soft sand for about 50 feet at the end. Not too hard.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-01-20 2:58 PM

New user

Subject: St. Pete Beach Classic - Sunset Beach Fun Run
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Pete Beach Classic - Sunset Beach Fun Run Rss Feed