General Discussion Race Reports! » P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Competitor Group, Inc.
Total Time = 1h 55m 49s
Overall Rank = 2402/13344
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 241/811
Pre-race routine:

Double espresso, English muffin with PB and a banana. Hopped on the train for Tempe.
Event warmup:

Dynamic stretching.
Run
  • 1h 55m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Took it easy at the start after cramping at my first 1/2 marathon in November. Goal was to come in under 1:55 without injury. Felt a little slow and sluggish but perked up around mile 5. Was actually able to turn it on and increase the pace significantly until mile 12 when...calf cramps hit. Weren't too bad so I pushed through them, but they slowed me down enough to miss my goal time/pace. At my Nov. race I cramped around mile 10, so at least they held off until 12 this time. Maybe I need to do 13-15 mile training runs to ensure no cramping in 13.1s.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure...I have run 8:20 minutes per mile over 10 mile runs, so I know I can handle the pace to hit 1:55 for a 1/2 marathon. Maybe I need to learn how to taper properly? Or cut back every 4 weeks? Really don't have a clue. The calf cramps are a constant - I get LOTS of hydration and fuel before the race and on the course, but they hit me from everything from sprint triathlons to 1/2 marys.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched out the legs, calves, etc. No IT band issues this race, which I am thrilled about.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Calf cramps.

Event comments:

Good race, lots of volunteers. The biggest race I've ever been a part of. Exciting, but a bit impersonal at the same time. A bit corporate, but of course it is, it's the Rock and Roll series. Overall a fun experience though.

Last updated: 2012-07-29 12:00 AM
Running
01:55:49 | 13.1 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 241/811
Overall: 2402/13344
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-01-20 6:09 PM

User image

Phoenix AZ
Subject: P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon

2013-01-20 6:27 PM
in reply to: #4587130

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon
Sounds like you hit it right on, well done!  If I ever overrun my fitness the first thing to go is my calves so it sounds like you paced it out perfectly.  Nice!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon Rss Feed