General Discussion Triathlon Talk » basic bike questions from a first timer doing a sprint tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-29 11:19 AM

Subject: basic bike questions from a first timer doing a sprint tri
hey there:

I have been getting bikes off of freecycle because i can't afford to buy one. we got one that we think will work for my honey (we are doing the tri together to celebrate one year of being hitched!): it is a Trek 1000. It was in an accident and needs a new front wheel type, AT-450 and the handle bars are a little bit bent. other than that it seems okay.
Question #1: is this a good bike for a first time Tri on almost no budget. The wheels are over $100 for the pair, can one ever find single wheels?

We also collected two old (maybe from the 70s or 80s) road bikes. One is way to big for me, but works, and the other is probably my size, but needs new brakes, a new seat, maybe to change the wheels. How can I tell if the parts can be exchanged bewteen the two bikes? would I be better of riding my Marin Hybrid....assuming we don't find another new and more decent road bike.

We probably have about $200 max to put into this, so we have to get creative and suggestions are welcome.

We are also looking to barter for help with bike repair/maintence lessons, so if you are in the DC area, let us know, we have lots of skills and some stuff we could exchange for bike repair sessions.

Thanks!

2006-06-29 11:25 AM
in reply to: #469732

User image

Pro
Orange Park Florida
Subject: RE: basic bike questions from a first timer doing a sprint tri

First off...Welcome to the BT and triathlons.

If you have a bike that works and that is what you have been training on then ride it for your sprint.

You will see lots of very expensive bikes and lots of not so expensive bikes.  Just make sure that what you are riding is working properly and fits you (and your wife)

Have fun!

Edited by Mike 45 2006-06-29 11:26 AM
2006-06-29 11:36 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Be very careful of using a bike from an accident.  It may just need a few new parts, but if the frame integrity is comprimised in any way you should not ride it.  Have it checked at a bike shop.
2006-06-29 4:45 PM

User image

, Texas
Here is a list of front only wheels from Nashbar. I'm not sure what you mean by AT-450?

I do second what JohnnyKay said about using a previously wrecked bike.
2006-06-29 5:01 PM

Elite
Laurium, MI

i agree with having the frame checked.  You say that the front wheel is trashed on the Trek?  What about the wheels on the other two bikes?  Depending on how old the bikes are, they will either have 700c, 650c or 27" wheels.  650c wheels are obviously smaller.  A 700c wheel is only a few mm smaller then a 27" wheel, so just swap out a front wheel and see if it fits.  You might have to readjust the brake pads a little, but it will work just fine.

As for the other two.... First off, go with the frame that fits you.  What is wrong with the wheels?  Out of true? Broken spokes?  Most shops will true a wheel for about $20, or you can invest in a $9 spoke wrench and about 40 min of an afternoon and learn to true your own wheel.  I'd suggest starting on one of the spare wheels you don't plan on using, but you should be able to pick up the skill pretty quickly.

For the most part you can swap parts as along as they match brand and form.  So if the two old bikes both have shimano components and they are both 8 speed (or 9 speed, ect..) then you should have no issues swapping parts back and forth.  If they are old enough to have friction shifters, as in no indexing, then you should be able to swap almost regardless.  So I'd say try swapping the better parts over to the better fitting frame and see if it works.  The worst case senario is that you learn a little about bike mechanics and have to ride your Hybrid afterall, which really isn't that bad of a situation.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » basic bike questions from a first timer doing a sprint tri Rss Feed