General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help with my Tri bike fit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-21 6:47 AM

Subject: Need help with my Tri bike fit

I bought an old TT bike from my neighbour, I got it pretty cheap and I've been trying to get a decent fit on it without paying for a professional one. I simply haven't got the money for one at the minute.

I find the bike fairly uncomfortable to ride. I've been getting a pain on the outer side of my right foot after about 7kms (I don't get this on my road bike) so I decided to move the seat down about 5mm tonight as I felt like I was over-stretching.

I also feel like i'm not generating the same power on this as my road bike. I can sustain speed for longer on my road bike.

I've included a few photos (sorry for the poor lighting), can somebody give me a few pointers. Much appreciated.  

**Trying to upload photos now, apologies I'm new to this.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/855/img0343zi.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/img0342xq.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/607/img0341hp.jpg/

Should also note i'm 5"10 and its a 54cm Cervelo P2. The bike appears to have 4 spacers (i think thats the name of them) on the handlebars.

Edited by eambre83 2013-01-21 7:07 AM

2013-01-21 9:38 AM
in reply to: #4587524

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Need help with my Tri bike fit
Those photos won't help much... you need to be able to see the side perfectly level and perpendicular to the rider, with the leg parallel to the seat tube (same angle) which will be longest extension. Also, full frontal view helps. Better would be a video where you can take a closer look at leg movement through the stroke.

Just keep in mind that this type of fit will be worth pretty much what you paid for it... and it will lack all types of personal background adjustments (current/previous injuries/issues, type of rider, distance/terrain race/training, short term and long term goals, etc. etc. etc.) It will also exclude core strength and flexibility adjustments.
2013-01-29 7:14 PM

User image

Here is what worked for me before getting a professional fitting.First I watched a couple of good Youtube videos on proper saddle fit. Then I would go on rides and bring my bike Allen wrench tool. Whenever I felt discomfort or pain in my knees, I would stop and make small adjustments. Then I would rate whether pain was increasing or decreasing. After a few adjustments I was able to dial in my position.
2013-02-10 11:41 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
First parameter you fix when you get a bike fit is the riders position in relationship to the bottom bracket (height and setback). That becomes a fixed reference from which everything else is adjusted. Don't go out and buy anything to adjust your fit before you get a pro bike fit... if the fitter needs to move your seat position, then everything else will be adjusted as well, which may or may not require a change in other components (stem, handlebars, etc.)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help with my Tri bike fit Rss Feed