General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2013-04-26 10:33 AM
in reply to: #4587945

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course : Official Thread
Shot in the dark, but is anyone going to Whitewater this Sunday for the Jaycee Tri?

2013-04-26 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4716170

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Subject: RE: Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course : Official Thread

t-royboy - 2013-04-26 10:33 AM Shot in the dark, but is anyone going to Whitewater this Sunday for the Jaycee Tri?

In light of the nice weather coming up I definitely tossed around the idea of doing this race, but when all was said and done I didn't have the time.  There are usually a handful of people from BT doing it, but I haven't heard anything this year.

2013-05-03 11:07 AM

Chicago
How is everyone's training coming? Under 2 months left! I'm getting excited. Anybody else just going to be happy to avoid last place? lol Those of you who have done the race before, talk to me about swim waves...website says 50-110 in each one. Who do they tend to send out first? What age groups do they pair up? 
2013-05-06 12:38 PM
in reply to: #4725939

User image

New user
Kenosha
NewfangledDad - 2013-05-03 11:07 AM

How is everyone's training coming? Under 2 months left! I'm getting excited. Anybody else just going to be happy to avoid last place? lol Those of you who have done the race before, talk to me about swim waves...website says 50-110 in each one. Who do they tend to send out first? What age groups do they pair up? 

In the past, the waves have started by age group (youngest to oldest). If I remember correctly, Olympic starts first at 6:30 with the 45 - death women in the last wave (that would be me). Then, the sprint waves begin. Somewhere in there, they toss in the duathlon and wrap up with the relay teams (sprint).

No last place talk. :-)

Cyndi
2013-05-06 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4729563

Chicago

Thanks for the info! I knew Oly starts first from the website but that's helpful about the order. 

I'm looking through the times from last year...I don't think I'll be last. Just hanging out with the back of the bell curve though. Laughing

2013-05-15 9:19 AM

User image

Wisconsin

Race routes are posted.  Totally different run than any years past that I have seen!

http://www.pleasantprairietriathlon.com/

2013-05-15 9:42 AM
in reply to: #4743328

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
gordon_mom - 2013-05-15 9:19 AM

Race routes are posted.  Totally different run than any years past that I have seen!

http://www.pleasantprairietriathlon.com/

Yeah, the run course does appear to be completely different.  It seems a bit more contained around Lake Andrea which is good, but could also be bad with a lot more congestion.  We shall see.

2013-05-30 12:26 PM
in reply to: sbsmann

User image

New user
Kenosha
Hi all!

Gordon_mom and I are planning on riding the West portion of the route on Saturday, then finishing up with the run. We'll probably start about 7:00 or so. We'll meet by the Swim area on the West side of the lake.

Cyndi
2013-05-31 12:43 PM
in reply to: cynner

Chicago
Originally posted by cynner

Hi all!

Gordon_mom and I are planning on riding the West portion of the route on Saturday, then finishing up with the run. We'll probably start about 7:00 or so. We'll meet by the Swim area on the West side of the lake.

Cyndi

I'm looking at the weather forecast...Mostly Cloudy, High 60's, 20% chance of rain until noon...I think I might chance the drive up. I'll PM (or you do the same) if I get up in the morning and things are looking bleak. But I'll probably be on the road by 6:00 if you want to start riding at 7:00.
2013-05-31 2:14 PM
in reply to: NewfangledDad

User image

New user
Kenosha
Originally posted by NewfangledDad

Hi all!

Cyndi

I'm looking at the weather forecast...Mostly Cloudy, High 60's, 20% chance of rain until noon...I think I might chance the drive up. I'll PM (or you do the same) if I get up in the morning and things are looking bleak. But I'll probably be on the road by 6:00 if you want to start riding at 7:00.

Hope you make it up here for the ride (and run, if interested). Our run is a 6 mile pace effort. We start at 10:30, 10:00, etc....the last two miles are between 8:15 and 8:30. I'm sure you (like most folks) are faster than that. :-)
2013-06-02 8:08 AM

Chicago
Thanks for showing me around the race venue yesterday morning, Gordon_mom & cynner!

We wanted to do a little public service announcement for other athletes after riding and running part of the course...on the bike, the west section towards the beginning of the bike where you turn from 165 onto the frontage road going north is absolutely filled with cracks and potholes currently. Maybe a quarter to half mile section? Watch yourself if they don't patch it up. (Oh, and watch for dead frogs laying in the road, too!)

Also wanted to mention that the new running section on the gravel is NOT crushed stone like some may be used to. It's larger stones and very uneven. Watch your footing!

2013-06-02 1:54 PM

NE Wisconsin
Thanks for the head's up. This will be my first olympic attempt! No way I can get down there to do any part of the course. Much appreciated public service announcement.
2013-06-02 2:11 PM
in reply to: Herb Doc

Chicago
Originally posted by Herb Doc

Thanks for the head's up. This will be my first olympic attempt! No way I can get down there to do any part of the course. Much appreciated public service announcement.

I'm glad I drove up to join them...two of the most friendly ladies you'll ever meet, btw. Very welcoming!

We road the section from the start to the west over by I-94 (basically to where we turn around). Other than what I mentioned, very good road quality. Slight hills...nothing crazy, but from what they said the east section is much flatter. The point where the turnaround is likely to be we were speculating about how tight they may have to make it.

Just watch your water bottles on that rough section and try to weave around the craters!
2013-06-03 8:58 AM

User image

New user
Kenosha
Originally posted by NewfangledDad

Originally posted by Herb Doc

I'm glad I drove up to join them...two of the most friendly ladies you'll ever meet, btw. Very welcoming!

We road the section from the start to the west over by I-94 (basically to where we turn around). Other than what I mentioned, very good road quality. Slight hills...nothing crazy, but from what they said the east section is much flatter. The point where the turnaround is likely to be we were speculating about how tight they may have to make it.

Just watch your water bottles on that rough section and try to weave around the craters!

Saturday was a fun workout day! And it's always great to meet fellow Triathletes. NewfangleDad...it was a pleasure to meet you. We had a great morning!

It was surprising to see how really bad that section of the road is. For those that do Racine, the one washboard section seems like smooth sailing compared to the stretch on the frontage. Just be aware that this section is so early on there will be a lot of jockeying for position.

Cynner
2013-06-03 6:39 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by NewfangledDad Also wanted to mention that the new running section on the gravel is NOT crushed stone like some may be used to. It's larger stones and very uneven. Watch your footing!

How much of it is gravel and/or rougher? Someone I know is working towards doing the Athleta race there in August, and knees aren't really that great. Looks like about the same run course for the two races, but different bike routes.

2013-06-03 6:48 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

New user
Kenosha
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by NewfangledDad Also wanted to mention that the new running section on the gravel is NOT crushed stone like some may be used to. It's larger stones and very uneven. Watch your footing!

How much of it is gravel and/or rougher? Someone I know is working towards doing the Athleta race there in August, and knees aren't really that great. Looks like about the same run course for the two races, but different bike routes.

Since the athleta is a 5k, I'm going to guess that maybe 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile will b on gravel. The route around the entire lake is 2.3 on the path. Figure we lose .3 from t2 to finish line. So with part on the road and lake path it can't b much more than that.

For the 10k probably a 1 1/2 miles.

Cyndi

2013-06-03 8:03 PM

Chicago

For the 10k probably a 1 1/2 miles.

Yup, the section where we were guessing as the turnaround would be about 1.25 miles on gravel by my estimate.
2013-06-03 8:37 PM

User image

Germantown
That should be interesting. hopefully its not too rough and uneven... Anyone looking to do the pleasant prairie open water swims before then? After the lake mills race this weekend, it would be nice to do a few of those and be able to swim in calmer waters. Lake Mills was rough!
2013-06-03 8:55 PM
in reply to: etasker

Chicago
I'd say it's like a hilly driveway. Not bad...but some ruts and slope.
2013-06-04 9:07 AM
in reply to: etasker

User image

New user
Kenosha
Originally posted by etasker

That should be interesting. hopefully its not too rough and uneven... Anyone looking to do the pleasant prairie open water swims before then? After the lake mills race this weekend, it would be nice to do a few of those and be able to swim in calmer waters. Lake Mills was rough!

Gordon_mom and I will definitely be doing the PP open water swims, but not this Thursday...going to be too cold. Hoping to give it a go on 6/13. I believe they do the open waters on Saturday mornings, as well.

Cynner
2013-06-04 9:26 AM

User image

Germantown
I plan on heading down this weekend... if everything goes as planned. After last weekends swim, it can only get better from here. Weekdays are tough to get down there because of work and how bad the traffic is going southbound out of Milwaukee.

2013-06-04 12:10 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by cynner Since the athleta is a 5k, I'm going to guess that maybe 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile will b on gravel. The route around the entire lake is 2.3 on the path. Figure we lose .3 from t2 to finish line. So with part on the road and lake path it can't b much more than that. For the 10k probably a 1 1/2 miles. Cyndi

Thanks!

2013-06-13 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
OK, I just signed up, so here's the info:

Name: Mike

What is your triathlon schedule look like this year: 1) Tower Tri (done!); 2) Leon's (Done!); and 3) PP (obviously); (4) Lake Zurich (probably); (5) Glenview Sprint; (6) US Nationals (whowhoo, finaly got the good news); (7) Chicago (?! - not sure).

What other non-tri races are planned: None right now. Maybe some races in the fall after Tri season is done.

Why did you choose Pleasant Prairie: Not too far away and have heard good things.

What are you goals for Pleasant Prairie? Ride a little hard and not blow up on the run (and avoid getting tripped by anyone).

What are you most looking forward to? Post-race cookout!

2013-06-13 10:39 AM
in reply to: Ershk

User image

New user
Kenosha
Originally posted by Ershk

What is your triathlon schedule look like this year: 1) Tower Tri (done!); 2) Leon's (Done!); and 3) PP (obviously); (4) Lake Zurich (probably); (5) Glenview Sprint; (6) US Nationals (whowhoo, finaly got the good news); (7) Chicago (?! - not sure).

What other non-tri races are planned: None right now. Maybe some races in the fall after Tri season is done.

Why did you choose Pleasant Prairie: Not too far away and have heard good things.

What are you goals for Pleasant Prairie? Ride a little hard and not blow up on the run (and avoid getting tripped by anyone).

Hi Mike!!

Glad you signed up for this. And congrats on US nationals. :-) I'm hoping they have a beer tent again this year. Last time we (gordon_mom and I) did the race, they had a Miller tent with drafts for $1.00.

Cyndi
2013-06-13 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Chicago

Originally posted by Ershk

Hi Mike!!

Glad you signed up for this. And congrats on US nationals. :-) I'm hoping they have a beer tent again this year. Last time we (gordon_mom and I) did the race, they had a Miller tent with drafts for $1.00.

Cyndi

I don't think it's possible to walk along the Milwaukee lakefront without stumbling into a beer tent, so the outlook is good.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pleasant Prairie Triathlon - International Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 5