United States
60F / 16C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 55m 35s
Overall Rank = 25/33
Age Group = Team relay
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

We arrived about 90 minutes before race time. Registration took a while, but we had plenty of time. Set up the transition area by all the other team and just waited, hoping the rain would hold off. (It didn't.)
Event warmup:

Stretched a bit and then got in the water to swim. There wasn't much time to warm up in the water, so thankfully the temp was pretty good.
Swim
  • 17m 31s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well, I was happy with this swim considering the conditions. I would certainly like to have gone faster, but I was just glad to have made it through without inhaling a wave. I did manage to pass a few people, which was good.
What would you do differently?:

Navigate better. In my last race, I did this well, but not this time. I was all over the place sometimes! I could not see very well at all with the drizzle and overcast. I also made the fatal error of following someone who ended up being off course.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

This transition was tough because ours was one of only two teams that had the same person doing the swim and bike (me). So while all the other teams were just passing off the timing chip to the next person, I had to sit down, take of my wetsuit, put on my shoes, etc. I could almost hear the seconds ticking away, but oh well. It was a decent transition.

Not much. It went pretty well over all.
Bike
  • 1h 02m
  • 17.8 miles
  • 17.23 mile/hr
Comments:

This actually was a really good ride for me. I averaged a faster mph in this race than I did in my last one, and this was a *much* harder and longer course. The weather was just tough, tough, tough. I just kept thinking "Thank God I don't have to run after this!!" Oh, and I actually passed someone during the bike leg! First time for everything!

Learn to corner better. I am just not very good at this! I almost ended up in the gravel shoulder more than once going around sharp turns.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

All I had to do here was run my bike through transition and hand off my timing chip to my fiance. It took a while though, because the transition area is very big, and the team area is waaaaay in the back.

Not much. It went ok. We just had to run with the bikes for longer than normal.
Run
  • 32m
  • 4 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

My fiance did this part of the relay, THANK GOD. I was dying after the bike, and he is a much better runner than I am anyway. He did really well, and was unlucky enough to have to run through pouring rain. I'm sure he was cursing my name for registering us! :)

Hopefully he will take my advice to not wear a cotton shirt next time! ;)
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bunch of water and stretched. It was wet and cold, so we didn't hang around very long. Grabbed some cookies and fruit and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The weather!! Ugh. Also, I just need to train more on the bike.

Event comments:

This is a very popular race and is well run. I think we did well despite our 25/33 team finish, since there were only two teams (one of which was ours) that did not have three people. We gave up a lot of time to the other teams on that first transition! Also I believe we were the only mixed team to have a girl on the bike, but am not sure. So, we were happy with our result and had a good time overall. It would have been really nice if it were warmer and not raining, but it was good experience!

Last updated: 2004-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:31 | 880 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/33
Performance: Average
Suit: Pro Motion sleeveless wetsuit
Course: The course was pretty standard, but the weather did not help one bit. The wind picked up and the drizzle started just before race time, so there was a pretty decent chop going by the time the race started. Also, visibility in the water was bad since the sun wasn't out.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:02:00 | 17.8 miles | 17.23 mile/hr
Overall: 26/33
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Without a doubt, the toughest riding these legs have ever done. This is a challenging course by everyone's estimation, not just mine. LOTS of hills. Also, at about mile 10, it started to rain pretty hard, replacing the drizzle that had been falling. It seemed that no matter which direction we went, it was always into the wind! I know that's not true, but it sure felt like it. I remember only one short stretch when it felt like the wind was at our backs.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:32:00 | 04 miles | 08m  min/mile
Overall: 17/33
Course: Same course as the start of the bike, so again very hilly. Also, very wet roads by this point.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-06-28 10:54 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Lake Waconia Triathlon

2004-06-28 10:59 AM
in reply to: #34063

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Lake Waconia Triathlon
Awesome race report.  I feel for you with regards to the weather mine started similar but the rain held off.  Way to stick it out in tough conditions.  You both did great.  Thanks for the report.
2004-06-28 4:42 PM
in reply to: #34063

User image

Subject: RE: Lake Waconia Triathlon

Great Job!!

I can relate to the swim, my last swim was like being in a Hurricane.............

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Waconia Triathlon Rss Feed