General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee issue Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-21 9:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Australia
Subject: Knee issue
After two months of pain I've had a CT scan and received my results today: retro patellar chondral fissuring. The report said Something about a condral flap.

The Doc says not to run again. Ever. Needless to say, I'm not taking this very well.

Has anyone ever had this, recovered, not recovered, know where I should go from here?

2013-01-24 6:08 AM
in reply to: #4588655

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Knee issue

I have 0 experience with this injury but I just want to say I am sorry and I know this is so frustrating for you. I would get a second opinion if I were you. Go to a doctor who runs, take your CT scan with you.

I had a doctor who wanted to do knee surgery. I took my MRI to another doctor and he told me I didn't need surgery and sent me to PT. Now I am better. Doctors can be wrong.

2013-01-24 12:00 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Sounds like time for a second opinion from a ortho surgeon who specializes in sports medicine. 

Mark

2013-01-28 6:09 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Yes get another opinion.  See a sports ortho if you can.  I understand Australia has nationalized health care and that makes it difficult but there are lots of things to be done for patellofemoral problems.  If there is a chondra flap it can be removed with an arthroscopy and if you have alignment issues they can address that at the same time
2013-01-30 3:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Australia
Thanks everyone!

I'm booked into see a sports doctor and an ortho surgeon tomorrow. Hopefully they'll be a lot more optimistic on my running prospects! I'm also seeing an exercise physio and just having some exercises to do (and some positive comments from her) is helping a lot to keep my spirits up!
2013-02-20 5:32 PM
in reply to: #4592320

New user

Georgia
laurentris - 2013-01-24 7:08 AM

I have 0 experience with this injury but I just want to say I am sorry and I know this is so frustrating for you. I would get a second opinion if I were you. Go to a doctor who runs, take your CT scan with you.

I had a doctor who wanted to do knee surgery. I took my MRI to another doctor and he told me I didn't need surgery and sent me to PT. Now I am better. Doctors can be wrong.

x2...I had (and still currently have) a knee injury that I was very worried about.  Before beginning training and investing a lot of money in equipment I went and had a MRI to see just how bad it was.  My primary care physician basically told me the same thing yours told you - absolutely no running or other physical activities for pretty much ever.  Needless to say I was not happy with this news so I got a second opinion from an Orthopedic Surgeon who specializes in sports medicine.  This guy himself was very active and you could tell.  I told him of my IM dreams and my active lifestyle and instead of telling me to avoid all physical activities, he taught me how to do them safetly.  He advised me to wear a knee brace while running, but should be just fine swimming and cycling as they are very low impact.  Since I have begun S/B/R, my knee has never felt better.  I think swimming and cycling have been great therapy for it. 

Definitely go get a second opinion.

2013-02-27 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4600784

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

ssshaunaaa - 2013-01-30 3:52 AM Thanks everyone!

I'm booked into see a sports doctor and an ortho surgeon tomorrow. Hopefully they'll be a lot more optimistic on my running prospects! I'm also seeing an exercise physio and just having some exercises to do (and some positive comments from her) is helping a lot to keep my spirits up!

Good news indeed.  I am reasonably certain that PT, bracing and maybe an arthroscopy will get you back at it.  My experience with PCPs is that 1-they know almost nothing about orthopedics 2-they can't examine a joint and 3-they tell everyone to not exercise...............which is ridiculous on all three counts.  Personally I would rather someone have some knee pain and be fit, happy and healthy than be a lump on the couch. I hope you got some good news at your ortho appt

2013-02-28 5:06 AM

For damaged chondral flap surgical intervention is the only treatment of choice if the knee is paining a lot.

Excessive underarm sweating

2013-02-28 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Australia
Since my last post, I've been to a sports doctor and a surgeon and had an MRI. The MRI showed nothing abnormal other than the fissure that the CT scan showed. Both thought I have a tracking issue that should be improved with exercises to strengthen my VMO and glutes. The surgeon told me he wouldn't operate until I gave rehabing it a serious go. So that's the plan for now.

I went for a 2km run (my first run in about two months) with some tape on my knee, which is supposed to pull my knee more towards the inside and it seemed to work. Here's hoping I'll be running lots in the future!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Knee issue Rss Feed