General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Marathon Running Maintenance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-22 12:33 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Half Marathon Running Maintenance
I recently completed my first Half Marathon with awesome success (1:58:33).  I followed the Polar plan, my wife has a Polar HRM. I credit the half marathon training for my great run in my last Olympic event.  I want to keep my current running fitness but am not sure what my 4 weekly runs should look like.  Do I just take the last week of the plan, long run was 12.5 miles and just use that as my weekly guide?  Do I slowly up the short runs, following the 10% rule? After doing so well, for me, in this last HM, I am eyeing another one in the middle of March, after that I will not have another event of that length until November / December.  I do not want to have to go through the build process again.  Any help would be appreciated. 

2013-01-23 6:31 AM
in reply to: #4589512

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Subject: RE: Half Marathon Running Maintenance

I'm not a strong runner, and I'm still training for my first HM, but this is what I'd do...

I'd try keeping weekly millage constant, maybe reduce just slightly. I'd do 5 workouts, running shorter distances and work more on speed. Just keeping the long run the same.

I don't know the Polar plan, but if you want to reuse your plan, the last week is possibly the worst you can pick as I think in most plans the last week is for getting you ready to the race. Also, don't pick just one week, but 4. If you have a 12 week plan, then look the 4 weeks before tapering, likely week 7-10. You can repeat those as a maintenance plan.

2013-01-23 6:32 AM
in reply to: #4590607

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: Half Marathon Running Maintenance
erik.norgaard - 2013-01-23 7:31 AM

I'm not a strong runner, and I'm still training for my first HM, but this is what I'd do...

I'd try keeping weekly millage constant, maybe reduce just slightly. I'd do 5 workouts, running shorter distances and work more on speed. Just keeping the long run the same.

I don't know the Polar plan, but if you want to reuse your plan, the last week is possibly the worst you can pick as I think in most plans the last week is for getting you ready to the race. Also, don't pick just one week, but 4. If you have a 12 week plan, then look the 4 weeks before tapering, likely week 7-10. You can repeat those as a maintenance plan.

This is what I'd do.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Marathon Running Maintenance Rss Feed