General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Left side breathing Escape From Alcatraz? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-23 6:17 PM

Subject: Left side breathing Escape From Alcatraz?

I realize it is best to have bilateral breathing skills for OWS, but I keep favoring breathing on my left side. I'm guessing/hoping that most of the chop in the swim during the Escape from Alcatraz will be coming from the right...from the GG Bridge?

Have you done Escape from Alcatraz? How were the currents, chop (which direction was it coming from)?

If someone is too anxious during the OWS, is there a designated boat they are suppose to swim to, or do they just keep swimming from kayak to kayak for an hour (the cut off) until they haul you back to shore?

I can do pool swims for 90 minutes without stopping, but I couldn't relax and find a flow during my first OWS in Aquatic Park. May have been the 49 degree water, but I felt that I was fighting off panic, needlessly expending energy to try to breathe and stroke in a more relaxed manner and had to touch each buoy just for mental reassurance. I do plan to do a few more OWS before Alcatraz to hopefully acclimate and deal better with the OW anxiety.

That said, knowing that left side breathing may be better than right side breathing during the swim to SF would be reassuring.

2013-01-23 6:27 PM
in reply to: #4591851

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Left side breathing Escape From Alcatraz?
Victoria94530 - 2013-01-24 11:17 AM

I realize it is best to have bilateral breathing skills for OWS, but I keep favoring breathing on my left side. I'm guessing/hoping that most of the chop in the swim during the Escape from Alcatraz will be coming from the right...from the GG Bridge?

Have you done Escape from Alcatraz? How were the currents, chop (which direction was it coming from)?

If someone is too anxious during the OWS, is there a designated boat they are suppose to swim to, or do they just keep swimming from kayak to kayak for an hour (the cut off) until they haul you back to shore?

I can do pool swims for 90 minutes without stopping, but I couldn't relax and find a flow during my first OWS in Aquatic Park. May have been the 49 degree water, but I felt that I was fighting off panic, needlessly expending energy to try to breathe and stroke in a more relaxed manner and had to touch each buoy just for mental reassurance. I do plan to do a few more OWS before Alcatraz to hopefully acclimate and deal better with the OW anxiety.

That said, knowing that left side breathing may be better than right side breathing during the swim to SF would be reassuring.

Hi - I can't help you with Alcatraz specifics but I am a right side breather.  In OWS I breather right regardless of the chop.  I haven't found it to be an issue - you have to be a little more aware when the waves are coming at you and kind of swim 'higher'.

I have tried changing sides to match the chop but I get VERY dizzy when I do it's not worth it.  I've managed fine so far.

Good luck!

2013-01-23 6:31 PM

User image

New user
Breckenridge
I did Escape from Alcatraz in 2011 and will do it again this year. There wasn't a lot of chop in 2011, I found if you follow the swim video directions you will be fine. I breath to the right and got a few mouth fulls. The swim goes fast as the currents help you along. The boat will take you in if needed I think and you can carry on with the tri.
2013-01-23 7:15 PM
in reply to: #4591873

User image

Expert
McAllen
The good news is that if you only breathe to the left side, just hug the right of the main pack and make them sight for you. So if you find that you're off to the right of a pack, just breathe and swim parallel to them. its unlikely a group of 3-4 or more will stray off that far (check anyways every 15 strokes or so?)
2013-01-23 7:27 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

I second the getting dizzy comment. I can bilateral breathe fine in a pool where I'm not doing any sighting, but I find myself getting fairly "confused" when trying bilateral breathing in murky conditions. Good news is cold salt water doesn't taste near as bad as warm salt water . I've never done Alcatraz but in the Atlantic I've never had problems breathing in a chop.

FWIW if you're comfortable enough with it, having a piece of gum in your mouth will help with the salt water taste (helps me a ton atleast)

2013-01-23 7:37 PM

User image

New user

Franklin, TN
I did it last year. Yes, swells come from the right. But the current is also taking you out that way, so it's a bit tricky from the movement underneath you that you don't realize is happening. It's hard to stay pointed in the right direction (which is actually way left at the 2 towers). I navigated it well, but so many people last year overshot the beach by 150 yards since the current was pulling them out towards the Golden Gate. I'm a right side breather, and I remember thinking I wish I could breathe on the other side. I had 2 or 3 big gulps.

2013-01-23 11:41 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I breathed to the left and it was quite easy because of the size of the swells I was breathing " downhill " . Didn't have to turn to far to find air when I was riding up the face of the chop.

It was the best swim i've ever done!
2013-01-24 9:06 AM

I did an aquathlon there last year that had a swim from Alcatraz to Crissey Field.  I can breath to both sides, but favor my right.  First off, sighting is easy.  The big radio tower up on the hill is great to sight off of.  The current was running out to the GG while the waves/wind were coming in from the GG so that caused a bit of chop.  I found breathing to the right to be easier b/c I could see the waves coming and could time the breath.  When I was breathing to the left, I actually took in more water due to waves "crashing" over my head and dumping water into my mouth.  

It is an awesome swim!  The sights alone are worth it.  Get a neoprene cap if you don't already have one.  That might help with the cold water induced panicky feeling. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Left side breathing Escape From Alcatraz? Rss Feed