Other Resources My Cup of Joe » WWBTD - To call animal control or not to call animal control Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-23 7:58 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Subject: WWBTD - To call animal control or not to call animal control

I think I spotted an abused dog on my way home.  WHY am I such a lover of animals?  Why?  So...I'm driving home and a black lab looking dog sprints towards the busy 4 lane road I am driving down.  I slam on the brakes but thankfully the dog stops right at the curb.  I think I see a collar, but not really sure.  I can't help myself...I get a few hundred yards down the road and turn around to pick up the damn stray.  I finally get myself turned around and into the driveway that the dog was near...and I don't see the dog.  Then I do finally see it wandering around the front porch of the house.  I begin to think that maybe the dog belongs to the house but I figure the least I can do is knock on the door and tell them that their dog is running rampant into the streets.  

But as I approach the door the dog gets aggressive and I have to shout at it and back off.  I do believe I said something to it like, "I was trying to help you!"  Because, you know...dogs are SO logical.  I literally had to BACK away because if I tried to turn around it threatened to attack.  And the only thing I am able to notice otherwise is that this dog has some serious marks on it's neck where a collar did some damage....fur all worn away, red and irritated looking...never have seen it in person before but it looks like neglect/abuse.  Anyway, the dog barking it's head off at me as I backed away obviously made a TON of noise....I was just about back to my car when the front door opened.  I shouted something about the dog trying to run into the street and I thought it was a stray so I was going to pick it up.  They "thanked me" and a kid came outside to do...something with the dog.  I honestly dunno what.  Maybe put it behind a fence or something.  Couldn't tell you.  I was just trying to get the heck out of there.  I don't know if the dog is normally locked up and just got OUT...I've never seen it before and I drive by this house all the time.  This isn't a big pedestrian area...no sidewalks and the road is EXTREMELY busy.  So I'm not really worried about the dog attacking any passerby...but....

I want to call animal control but don't know if I should.  I'd hate to see the dog killed if it gets out again and runs into this busy street.  I hate to see the dog being abused.  But...the dog was aggressive.  What if it gets picked up by animal control only to be put down.  Freaking horrible decision.  Ugh.  WWBTD????

I kinda wish I'd never stopped...why do I have to do something every time I see a dang stray dog?

2013-01-23 8:18 PM
in reply to: #4591950

User image

Subject: RE: WWBTD - To call animal control or not to call animal control
I can't argue you did anything wrong but yes you did leave yourself with a bit of a quandary. I am also an animal lover. What I would probably do, and it doesn't really directly answer your question, but check and see if there is a no kill shelter nearby and just call them for advice. At the very least you know that they will have a lot of experience with animals (specifically hurt/neglected animals) and will work to do what's best for the dog. Just a thought.
2013-01-23 9:05 PM

User image

Bronze member

In my experience if the dog is not a stray, Animal Control will not put the dog down from one phone call. In my area at least, we have to have video or photo of the dog harming someone/thing for them to take it away. Chances are if you call they will issue a warning to the owners, maybe a fine. Assuming of course that someone else has not already called about the dog.

If it is a stray and has acted like you describe to others you can rest assured someone has probably already called so you will not be the first. But then you can not assume that he will stay at the location you saw him in last. Now there is the possibility that he will roam into a more populated area putting other people at risk from his aggressive behavior.

I would call.

2013-01-23 10:21 PM

User image

Elite

When in doubt, call.

just my 2 cents.

2013-01-23 10:24 PM
in reply to: #4592119

User image

Champion
Austin, Texas
ChineseDemocracy - 2013-01-23 10:21 PM

When in doubt, call.

just my 2 cents.

I agree - especially if you've seen that the dog wasn't being treated and cared for properly.  If nothing else, the dog owners will get a visit from the authorities with maybe a warning, or they will remove the dog from a bad situation. 

2013-01-24 6:40 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

my puppy gets those marks around her neck, and i assure you i don't abuse my dog.  she gets really excited easily and pulls against it, she also likes to slip out of her collar so i keep it tighter than i do on my other dog.  her skin just gets red and irritated easily as well....she gets a bright pink belly when she plays with her cousin! 

this is a case where i would not get involved, there are no real signs of abuse here.

also, i'd like to commend you for not splitting the infinitive in your thread title.  personal pet peeve

2013-01-24 4:59 PM
in reply to: #4592345

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
mehaner - 2013-01-24 6:40 AM

my puppy gets those marks around her neck, and i assure you i don't abuse my dog.  she gets really excited easily and pulls against it, she also likes to slip out of her collar so i keep it tighter than i do on my other dog.  her skin just gets red and irritated easily as well....she gets a bright pink belly when she plays with her cousin! 

this is a case where i would not get involved, there are no real signs of abuse here.

also, i'd like to commend you for not splitting the infinitive in your thread title.  personal pet peeve

Ugh, until your post I was convinced to call!  Now I'm all torn again! 

And right after I wrote that I decided to call and see what they suggested...they said they can always go out and just check on the dog to make sure the damage I saw to the neck wasn't a dug in collar or something...they don't jump right to fines or whatnot...

Hopefully the owners of the house didn't memorize my license plate...

2013-01-24 5:13 PM
in reply to: #4593485

User image

Elite
Cleveland

It doesn't hurt to have called.  It might be nothing and the dog may be fine... it might not and you may have just done the dog a favor.  If the dog is fine, no harm no foul. If he isn't fine, then he'll be getting treatment soon.

2013-01-28 8:32 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Note:

Actually, you may want a humane law enforcement officer, rather than animal control. In Pittsburgh, there's a difference: Animal Control by and large deals with "stray" animals- they're loose, in traffic, otherwise not contained and not with owners. Humane Officers deal with issues of abuse, inadequate housing/shelter, malnutrition, abandonment, etc.

Do you have an ASPCA/Humane Society branch in your neighborhood or city? Give them a ring. Your concerns about the collar mark (embedded or too small collar) would file under humane law enforcement, typically an officer from ASPCA/Humane society, although I believe I've seen municipal officers as enforcement too. Now, let's say that you'd just found the dog scooting around outside footloose and fancy free- that's animal control.

My husband called the humane society last week on a car garage that had left a dog in an outside kennel in sub zero temperatures with no dog house/crate/housing in site. They investigate all calls anonymously, and if they determine that there's a violation, they deal with it. If there's no problem, then at least the situation was investigated.

Edited by phoenixazul 2013-01-28 8:32 AM
2013-01-28 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

Thanks for starting this thread. I was in a bit of a do I or don't I call situation the other night. It was bitterly cold and windy, in the negative single digits (Fahrenheit) when my husband and I left the gym at 9 PM. We heard a pitiful, non-stop whining from a dog but couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from. Sounded like a hurt and scared dog. We walked along the river and around the building, then Nick (my husband) looked across the street up the hill and saw a dog outside in the yard.

We hate to be "that guy" who tell others what to do with their pets, but the dog sounded so miserable, and we were cold walking around in our parkas, mitts, winter boots and hats. We couldn't imagine what a small dog was feeling. So we walked over and knocked on the door.

After a couple minutes, we heard a door in the back of the house slam, and the dog stopped crying. No one ever came to the front door, so at first we thought, okay, guess they took the hint and brought the dog inside. We walked around the house to leave, and that's when a really BIG dog came running towards us, stood up against the chain link fence and started barking. The little dog was still outside. Soo...this owner's response was not to talk to us, but to send out a bigger dog. We took the hint and left. Now we both feel terrible because there are two dogs outside freezing their tails off.

I looked for a house number and debated calling someone (who?) but didn't find a house number. It's Vermont...it's not exactly easy to describe which house you mean when the directions are, "up the hill, on the bend in the road, where the trees part". That about describes any house. Anyway, we thought a phone call would only result in the animals being brought it temporarily and punished later. I shouldn't assume that, but that's where my mind went.

Sorry, I had to just get this story off my chest. I don't know why anyone put their dog outside in weather like that, even if it had peed on the carpet or eaten some throw pillows. Anyway, what I'm taking away from this thread is that I should have called someone, because at least the police or animal control or a shelter would know better about what to do.

Who would a person call in this situation?

And to to OP, it is a hard call about those marks. I have lots of friends who take great care of their dogs and they are happy and fine but have those marks around the collar. I've seen some dogs scratch at themselves there, making it sore and not too pretty looking, but they are fine. Not sure about that dog's aggression though. I feel for you - stray dogs and cats tug on my heart strings. I think you feel that way about every dang stray because you feel for those who can't always help themselves. Not a bad quality to have in a person.

2013-01-29 5:25 AM

User image

Expert
Central New Jersey
Call - express concern for the animals well being. They (whoever they are in your town) will go investigate...if no neglect/abuse they go home...if there is you've helped the dog.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » WWBTD - To call animal control or not to call animal control Rss Feed