General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running wish list! Any takers??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-23 8:13 PM

Subject: Running wish list! Any takers???

I’m an MBA student doing research for a school project.  I’m hoping all runners can answer this question.  What technology does not exist today that if it was invented in the future would improve your running? (i.e. Avoid injury, speed, endurance, efficiency etc.)  As a runner what pains you? Pain doesn’t have to be interpreted literally 

Thanks

Des

2013-01-24 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4591971

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Running wish list! Any takers???
I think being sideline by injury is the most frustrating thing for most runners. Anything that would prevent injury or speed recovery.
2013-01-24 10:22 AM

User image

Master
Grand Prairie

The question asked is a great question.

And as many other before I have suffered in the past and most likely will suffer in the future from nagging injuries. Being sidelined as a runner or triathlete is nothing fun. Just too many hours are lost to rest that could be used for training due to an unplanned invent.

To answer your question we must look at the causes for pains, literally and non literally. Yet prior to looking at the causes we should take a look at the pains.

There are the more direct pains:

- twisted ankle

- joints

- muscle

- tendence

And the other

- mental

- anxiety

- bowel movement

- full bladder

So now to look at the causes to come up with solutions you have a broad base.

From hoe ultra-sonic and x-ray machines to diagnose a fracture, over special designed running diapers, to sensors that measure your stride length relative to your body.

Maybe you want to narrow down your area of project?

2013-01-24 11:18 AM

User image

Maybe a mechanical motivator of some sort?!?

Running has been around for thousands of years. I've read that is technology  (i.e., tennis shoes) that has increased injuries instead of helping them.

Invent motivation, desire, willingness to achieve!

Edited by alfonso34 2013-01-24 11:18 AM
2013-01-24 4:02 PM

User image

Pro

OK- I'll bite.  For cyclists, they have power meters.  An unbiased measurement of output, on which you can base training and race intensity.  Runners don't have this. We use RPE (rate of perceived exertion- which is notoriously unreliable), Pace- maybe good if it is totally flat and there's no wind, or HR- better than pace or RPE, but isn't great, because it's slow to react and changes based on temp and hydration.

So- we have no accurate way to measure our output.  There are ways to measure oxygen utilization, but they require an uncomfortable mask, equipment hanging off you, and a computer nearby.  Not something you could use for an everyday run.  We need something equivalent to a power meter (like a Cyclops Powertap... google it if you're not familiar), so we can train like the cyclists do (see "racing and training with a power meter").

Theoretically, an app or garmin watch would be able to calculate a running TSS    (see this:  http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/running/running-training-stress-score.aspx)

Edited by morey000 2013-01-24 4:05 PM
2013-01-24 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4593395

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
morey000 - 2013-01-24 6:02 PM

OK- I'll bite.  For cyclists, they have power meters.  An unbiased measurement of output, on which you can base training and race intensity.  Runners don't have this. We use RPE (rate of perceived exertion- which is notoriously unreliable), Pace- maybe good if it is totally flat and there's no wind, or HR- better than pace or RPE, but isn't great, because it's slow to react and changes based on temp and hydration.

So- we have no accurate way to measure our output.  There are ways to measure oxygen utilization, but they require an uncomfortable mask, equipment hanging off you, and a computer nearby.  Not something you could use for an everyday run.  We need something equivalent to a power meter (like a Cyclops Powertap... google it if you're not familiar), so we can train like the cyclists do (see "racing and training with a power meter").

Theoretically, an app or garmin watch would be able to calculate a running TSS    (see this:  http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/running/running-training-stress-score.aspx)

X2, I like this idea.  Thanks

2013-01-24 11:00 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Ooooh.  Since I am motivated by the frustration of shoe companies changing their perfectly good models for "updated" ones, maybe someone can make a new-fangled thing-a-ma-bob like the 3D printer that can make shoes for your feet and running style rather than the runners having to comform to whatever shoe is out there. 

I am terribly frustrated every year.  I finally find a shoe that works for me (no blisters, uncomfortable cushioning, etc.) and then the new model comes out and the company changes the shoe.  I end up searching the internet trying to find older models of shoes that I have owned.  No kidding, my shoe person laughs when I walk into the store. 

Yes.  Definitely a 3D printer that will make shoes to your liking rather than the other way around because my pain is shoe shopping and the endless struggle to find one that works.

Edited by sungirl919 2013-01-24 11:03 PM
2013-01-26 12:00 AM

Thank you to all who have commented. I would like to use this forum to drill down deeper on some of your comments and thoughts if you are willing to participate. Does anyone know where I can get the national injury statistics on runners each year.
2013-01-28 11:18 AM
in reply to: #4595332

User image

Pro

sullid23 - 2013-01-25 10:00 PM Thank you to all who have commented. I would like to use this forum to drill down deeper on some of your comments and thoughts if you are willing to participate. Does anyone know where I can get the national injury statistics on runners each year.

That's easy.  We're all injured.  I think it's something like 75-80% of runners are dealing with some running related injury every year.  Me- I've usually got a few going at once.  If I stopped running every time something hurt, I'd NEVER run.  Overcoming injuries is the whole point.  When I'm uninjured, it allows me to ramp up the mileage and intensity to the point where I get injured again.

How would you know your limits unless you exceeded them from time to time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running wish list! Any takers??? Rss Feed