General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-24 10:36 AM

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
Subject: Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead
Just came across this documentary recently and while I'm not ready to dive into the deep end with this type of diet, I'm curious if anyone here has any extended experience with a juicing regimen as recommended in the move, specifically as it relates to countering autoimmune disorders.

His disease sent him down the path of juicing and that change put his autoimmune illness in "remission".

Have you had a similar positive experience?

2013-01-24 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4592798

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
Subject: RE: Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead
While I admit that I've done zero research into the subject, I don't understand this juicing thing that's going around.  Last thing I want to do is concentrate my food...and my digestive system seems perfectly evolved to handle solids.
2013-01-29 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4592883

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
Zero2Athlete - 2013-01-24 9:25 AM

While I admit that I've done zero research into the subject, I don't understand this juicing thing that's going around.  Last thing I want to do is concentrate my food...and my digestive system seems perfectly evolved to handle solids.

In the words of Hippocrates, "let food by thy medicine". My curiousity around this issue isn't necessarily related to a wholesale diet change, but rather the curative power of food/nutrients. Just because our digestive systems can process something doesn't make it the ideal fuel.
2013-01-30 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

food certainly has the power to heal. Unfortunately with the standard American diet it also has the power to kill.

I think it is a great movie. I will intermittently do juice fasts for anywhere between 1-3 days. I think it goes do great things for my body. I think giving your body intense concentrated nutrition while giving the GI tract a little rest can be a good thing. It also resets my sense of portion control and hunger.

The other great thing is that it is somewhat of a movement that is getting people to critically look at what they are putting in their bodies and realize what is going to help them.

I think that in many cases when appropriate food should be the first medicine followed by drugs only if the food options do not work. It is shameful how we treat type 2 diabetes for the vast majority of people.

2013-01-30 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4601299

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
bobddsmd - 2013-01-30 11:54 AM

food certainly has the power to heal. Unfortunately with the standard American diet it also has the power to kill.

I think it is a great movie. I will intermittently do juice fasts for anywhere between 1-3 days. I think it goes do great things for my body. I think giving your body intense concentrated nutrition while giving the GI tract a little rest can be a good thing. It also resets my sense of portion control and hunger.

The other great thing is that it is somewhat of a movement that is getting people to critically look at what they are putting in their bodies and realize what is going to help them.

I think that in many cases when appropriate food should be the first medicine followed by drugs only if the food options do not work. It is shameful how we treat type 2 diabetes for the vast majority of people.

Just curious as to where you've read that the GI tract *needs* a rest?  Or that giving it such a rest is beneficial?  Or that consuming exactly what you juice over those 1-3 days but in whole food form instead is any less beneficial than consuming it as juice?  Not trying to argue with you, just looking for research to support that and can't find any as I am curious about this juice fasting trend.

I agree with everything you've said here but just wondering how that supports juicing as opposed to just supporting clean, whole food eating?

2013-02-01 2:58 PM
in reply to: #4601352

Veteran
Sunny Oregon
noelle1230 - 2013-01-30 9:21 AM

Just curious as to where you've read that the GI tract *needs* a rest?  Or that giving it such a rest is beneficial?  Or that consuming exactly what you juice over those 1-3 days but in whole food form instead is any less beneficial than consuming it as juice?  Not trying to argue with you, just looking for research to support that and can't find any as I am curious about this juice fasting trend.

I agree with everything you've said here but just wondering how that supports juicing as opposed to just supporting clean, whole food eating?

I know I don't have specific research that I can quote, but the prevailing wisdom is that the volume of nutrients received from juicing (in 1-2 glasses) far outweighs what one would consume if simply eating the whole food. For example, a glass may have several celery stalks, green leaf vegetables, a whole cucumber, multiple apples, oranges, beets, carrots, etc. Well more than would be consumed in a typical "whole food eating" meal.

bobddsmd - do you agree?

2013-02-01 3:11 PM
in reply to: #4604830

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Triguy67 - 2013-02-01 2:58 PM

I know I don't have specific research that I can quote, but the prevailing wisdom is that the volume of nutrients received from juicing (in 1-2 glasses) far outweighs what one would consume if simply eating the whole food. For example, a glass may have several celery stalks, green leaf vegetables, a whole cucumber, multiple apples, oranges, beets, carrots, etc. Well more than would be consumed in a typical "whole food eating" meal.

bobddsmd - do you agree?

I watched this documentary a while ago and liked it. I could be wrong, but I think the idea behind the juicing was that it's just too much food to eat at a time, condensing it into a juice allows you to take in a lot more food more easily.

I like supplementing my diet with a green juice. It's refreshing and I honestly couldn't eat all of the vegetables I get in a glass in one sitting, and I love my vegetables! I wouldn't use it as a meal though, I drink it with a meal or use it as a mid-morning snack when I'm having a later lunch.
2013-02-08 8:33 PM
in reply to: #4604848

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
erin116 - 2013-02-01 4:11 PM

Triguy67 - 2013-02-01 2:58 PM

bobddsmd - do you agree?

I watched this documentary a while ago and liked it. I could be wrong, but I think the idea behind the juicing was that it's just too much food to eat at a time, condensing it into a juice allows you to take in a lot more food more easily.

I like supplementing my diet with a green juice. It's refreshing and I honestly couldn't eat all of the vegetables I get in a glass in one sitting, and I love my vegetables! I wouldn't use it as a meal though, I drink it with a meal or use it as a mid-morning snack when I'm having a later lunch.

Yes, the point is that you wouldn't eat that quantity of produce. I don't understand the hostility to juicing considering all the unhealthy diets out there.

I watched the video and was inspired. I don't buy the "eat anything in moderation". I clearly have an addictive relationship with food. The way I used to go through the ashtrays looking for a smokable butt is the way I have run out to get candy and then ate it in the car so my family wouldn't see me. Yes, it's embarrasing.
I know all about clean eating, vegan, whole foods, etc. If all it took was knowledge who would still be fat?

I juiced for three weeks and was really surprised at how I wasn't hungry. Each drink has an apple or two and the non-leafy veggies have carbs, adding 12 almonds, 1/2 cup of beans and some avocado in an evening salad, I was still getting about 1000-1100.
No miracles, but felt a sense of peace around food and lost the compulsive cravings.
Just lost a few lbs., but as a perimenopausal woman, nothing seems to lead to weight loss anymore.
The goal was to juice till I lost 20 lbs.
Got sick, cramps/runs, thought it was rom juicing and quit. Think it was just a bug, and am now struggling to get back to juicing.
Now issue is social eating events where my resolve wanes.

Certainly, juicing can't hurt you. give it a shot. I can shop for and juice about 2 1/2 days worth. Store them in canning jars in a big cooler.

Share if you try it.

Mitzi
2013-02-08 8:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Before a workout I'd add a rice protein, soy milk shake.
Thinking of going strictly juice for 2-3 days, but if for longer I think I'd add a piece of chicken or fish each night with my green salad as I feel better with a high protein diet.

Another thing, I like the juices in The Juice Diet by Bailey.

Edited by MuscleMomma 2013-02-08 8:59 PM
2013-02-25 12:14 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

The after seeing this movie I really want to try this out. 

my gf is like forget that try the powder for a couple of days which I think defeats a lot of the points of it all.

2013-02-26 10:06 PM

User image

Regular
Texas

I love juicing. I do juice fasts every once in a while anywhere from 1-7 days. I typically do it after a longer race, or when I am not training for anything specific.

The only think that I am now watching specifically when juicing is keeping the fructose levels in check as to not spike my insulin too much.

2013-02-27 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4615310

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois

MuscleMomma - 2013-02-08 8:49 PM Before a workout I'd add a rice protein, soy milk shake. Thinking of going strictly juice for 2-3 days, but if for longer I think I'd add a piece of chicken or fish each night with my green salad as I feel better with a high protein diet. Another thing, I like the juices in The Juice Diet by Bailey.

kinda thinking of adding chicken breast.  Not sure if this would ruin things or not.  I guess I will have to wait and see.   going to try it legitimately this weekend if I can get a juicer by then.

2013-02-27 7:08 PM
in reply to: #4615293

User image

Expert

I'm pretty indifferent toward juicing. I think that any diet that has one take whole foods and turn them into liquid is not something I would be able to get my husband excited about.

We are currently eating a Mediterrainian type diet, that advocates proteins and complex carbs, whole grains and olive oil instead of butter. He likes eating solid food. I do too.

We also take a multivitamin. 

2013-03-01 9:26 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I started today with the juicing.  using made up a days worth of that mean green from the movie and god it tastes aweful.  I thinking its the kale.  Though I did add chica seeds and seemed ok last night.  maybe it just did not mix well.  We will see how the rest of the day goes I guess.
2013-03-18 3:47 PM
in reply to: #4641895

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

chirunner134 - 2013-03-01 9:26 AM I started today with the juicing.  using made up a days worth of that mean green from the movie and god it tastes aweful.  I thinking its the kale.  Though I did add chica seeds and seemed ok last night.  maybe it just did not mix well.  We will see how the rest of the day goes I guess.

Add 1/2 a banana- Bananas are so sweet they make anything taste better- Carrots are good too-

Love Kale- I drink it in a breakfast smoothy most mornings 

2013-03-18 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

my .02

I love juicing, but do not do it regularly- carrots or granny smith apples are the bomb!

I do make a breakfast shake/smothy with kale or spinach and blueberries, 1/2 a banana, salba or flax seeds, whey protein, and some powered antioxidants, coconut milk - if I run I do this post run.

Anyway- Yes the idea is if you juice you are getting WAY more vegetables -hence nutrients than you could sit and eat.

Opponents believe your digestive system is not made to handle say 2 lbs of carrots or apples (the the sugar they contain- because the sweet stuff is what tastes the best) in one setting with no fiber to balance it out. And some think we need a more balanced intake of nutrients instead of gobs at once.

Me- I think sweet juice beats a pop-tart every time!!

2013-12-28 5:21 PM
in reply to: Triguy67

Veteran
Honolulu
I just saw the dvd and want to try this. However I'm wondering how you can fast during training. I think I would try to only have juice for breakfast and dinner. I'd eat a healthy lunch so I can train after work. Maybe add protein to the dinner shake.
Second concern is I heard it's expensive. It doesn't make sense why it would cost more than eating out. But I guess if you buy organic produce. Any thoughts on how juicing fuels training and cost?
2013-12-28 8:49 PM
in reply to: HonoluluAngel

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Even without going all organic, it takes a lot of produce to get the juices. Two handfuls of kale, a lemon, a cucumber, three celery stalks, two apples adds up. Is probably more than a bowl of cereal but the nutrients are greater. This is a rather yummy drink in my opinion.

Just bought his juicing book and made a cranberry based drink, and one with red cabbage, carrots and an orange. Must say I like almost everything, but these were hard to get down.

Don't think training is the time to juice - it's more of a healing, or weight-loss thing. I have been doing it sporadically but want to commit to one day a week, maybe up to three days soon.
2013-12-29 7:33 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I did it for 3 days. I was hoping for more. Then I ate salads for the next 15 days. I lost like 24 lbs. I could not train after the first day. I felt so weird and weak. I eventually gave up.

The thing that really hurt me is I had gallbladder issue that landed in in the hospital and I ended up having to get it removed. While the juicing did not do most of the damage you do run the risk of gallbladder issues since you have will no fat.

Sad thing is then I could not eat veggies for the next 3 months and I gain a lot of weight. (lots of pudding and other soft sugary substances).

2014-01-09 10:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

I brought a Juicer for Christmas,

after watching that documentary.

i most say i was not a big fan of Fruit, but i can't seem to get enough of it lately,

i juice to make up the minerals and vitamins i haven't received from my meals not to combat weight loss or anything like that.
But i do find pre workout juice works great

better then Smoothies

pre workout i juice

1 Lemon
1 Lime
2 Apples
1 Pear
2 Carrots.

I also 2 hrs before a long Cycle i have

3 beet roots
4 carrots
2 Apples