General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heel Pain in my left foot Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-25 8:11 AM

Subject: Heel Pain in my left foot
Hate to make my first post on this site about an injury but I need some feedback and if anyone else has experienced this.  I'm training for my first Half Iron which is nine months away.  I'm not going crazy on the training yet, just some easy swims and 45 minute indoor bike rides three days a week (No running yet because I sprained the ankle on my other foot a few months ago).  After my ride on Wednesday, about an hour after I got home, I started having some extreme pain on the bottom of my heel on my left foot.  Honestly the whole foot kinda hurts but thats where it hurts the most.  On a scale of 1 to 10 it was easily a 7.  Made it extremely uncomfortable to sleep and definitely couldn't put any weight on it.  Took some ibuprofen, iced it, and did some light stretching.  Today, two days later, it still hurts.  Definitely concentrated around the heel on the bottom of my left foot.  Probably a 4 out of 10 today.  Gonna skip my swim and my ride today, not happy about it but I just don't want to do anything further to it.  Afraid this could be PF?  Any thoughts or suggestions?

2013-01-25 8:24 AM
in reply to: #4594092

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Heel Pain in my left foot

When you say indoor bike rides,do you mean on a trainer or on a stationery bike?

What kind of shoes are you wearing? Regular bike shoes with a stiff sole?

2013-01-25 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4594109

I'm riding the Expresso Bike at my local Y, the one with the screen in front that you can ride various trails on.  www.Expresso.net to see what it looks like.  I'm wearing an old pair of New Balance's that are extremely worn down but it's all that I have right now.  I usually wear sanuk sandals when I'm out and about or around the house, or flip flops if it's summer.  Don't usually wear a lot of shoes unless I was running or hiking or whatever of the sort.

On a side note, I had just picked up an indoor trainer for my road bike and was coincidently going to pick up and get fitted for my new bike shoes today that I had ordered last week.  Mavic Tri Comps.

Edited by Xcel 2013-01-25 8:40 AM
2013-01-25 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

Aha. The soft shoes could well be the problem.

I would take it easy and use a small gear until you get the biking shoes. 

2013-02-09 10:31 PM

Huntington Beach
Personally I have had good experience working with people on the muscles attaching to the heel from both sides.  Tension on these tissues can create pain in the heel.... which typically can become more inflamed with direct treatment.  Here's a video reference that could help a bit http://www.p2sportscare.com/2012/10/30/heel-pain-with-running/
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heel Pain in my left foot Rss Feed