General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fit Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-25 4:46 PM

Jackson, Tn
Subject: Bike fit Advice

I'm wanting to use my LBS to get re-fitted on my tri bike, but they have a couple options and wanted to get the board's opinion.  Even though they've treated me well in the past, I feel like they may try to convince me to get the more expensive option even if its not necessary.  Here's a description of their options:

STANDARD BIKE FIT
$125 for Road Bikes and $155 for Tri Bikes

This fit is included with every bike purchase from R.B.'s Cyclery. This fit takes about an hour to complete and will make a big difference in your comfort and efficiency on the bicycle.  The standard bike fit includes:

- Basic Cleat Alignment
- Saddle Height Adjustment 
- Saddle Fore and Aft Adjustment 
- Stem Length and Height Evaluation
- Bar Width, Angle, Shifter, Aerobar Evaluation
- Posture Evaluation

PRECISION BIKE FIT
$255 for Road Bikes and $285 for Tri Bikes

We give you the works with this fit. The Precision Fit uses some of the best tools available for a static bike fit including laser and computer analysis. This fit takes about two hours to complete and is extremely comprehensive.

- Bare Foot Trace for Optimal Cleat Placement
- Laser Cleat Alignment
- Cleat / Shoe Shimming (if necessary)
- Saddle Height Adjustment
- Saddle Fore and Aft Adjustment
- Hip Angle Measurement 
- Stem Length and Height Evaluation
- Bar Width, Angle, Shifter, Aerobar Evaluation
- Frontal Plane Knee Alignment 
- Posture Evaluation
- Pedal Stroke Analysis measured with Compu-Trainer
- Personal Data Sheet with all measurements

So, what do you think?  Does the "precision" fit seem worth the extra $130?

For a little background, I bought my first ever TT bike about a year ago.  When I bought it, I had someone "fit" me on it, but I never felt that he did a great job.  First, it only took about 10mins, and although I feel comfortable on it, I've always felt it could be a little better.  This is my first year being really serious into tri's and I wanted to have a professional fit me.  So again, should I go for the cheaper option or would the more expensive one be worth the money?  I'm pretty new to bikes so most of the terms in the description don't even make sense to me.  Thanks for the help!

2013-01-25 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4595070

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Bike fit Advice
In my opinion, the extra $ is worth it.  I spent 2-3 hours and about $275 on a similar fit - it made a huge difference.  I now feel really comfortable on the bike.  When I bought the bike and had the a basic fit, I went out and could only ride 20-30 minutes in aero because it was too aggressive for me and the seat was killing me.   After the fit, I went out and rode almost 2 hours in aero.  It really made a huge difference.
2013-01-25 7:25 PM

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
If you have the money, go for the more comprehensive one.  If not, the other.  I'd do my best to get the more comprehensive one.
2013-01-25 7:35 PM

User image

New user
penticton
Pedal analysis and lazer aliment arent necessary. What you need is to read about who will do the bike fit. Is this person FIST certified? i would not even consider a fit session without that qualification. The fitter is what matter.... a good fitter wont do incomplete work or let you leave without been 100% happy with the work he done. I know i would not.....

As for the pedal stroke analysis, that isnt very important. Pedal efficency dosnt corrolate with been faster. the fastest cyclist actually have a very unblance and push down kind of stroke. That computrainer stroke analysis is simply a poor tool.

if the fitter is experience and knowledgable with good qualification, you can have a solid work done with option #1.

Perhaps post a few picture of your current position and i could tell you more about how badly you need a bike fit or not.

2013-01-25 8:51 PM
in reply to: #4595172

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
jonnyo - 2013-01-25 7:35 PM Pedal analysis and lazer aliment arent necessary. What you need is to read about who will do the bike fit. Is this person FIST certified? i would not even consider a fit session without that qualification. The fitter is what matter.... a good fitter wont do incomplete work or let you leave without been 100% happy with the work he done. I know i would not.....

As for the pedal stroke analysis, that isnt very important. Pedal efficency dosnt corrolate with been faster. the fastest cyclist actually have a very unblance and push down kind of stroke. That computrainer stroke analysis is simply a poor tool.

if the fitter is experience and knowledgable with good qualification, you can have a solid work done with option #1.

Perhaps post a few picture of your current position and i could tell you more about how badly you need a bike fit or not.

Just out of curiosity, why do they have to be FIST certified?

There are other certifications out there; and honestly there are tons of other great fitters that  don't have certifications.  Actually, one of the best fitters I've ever worked with (and still do personally and for my remote clients) is not certified at all.  He's knowledgeable in all certifications, and uses a combination of them all to properly fit. 

Not ragging on you; I'm really curious on why people go after the certifications?  I know tons of people who go to BG Fit just because of the name, yet continue to have TONS of problems (it's not one of the best "systems" of fits).  

Marketing? 

2013-01-25 9:02 PM

User image

New user
penticton

Tony, simply put, for triathlon, i think Dan Emfield is the best teacher in term of positioning. Jordan Rapp is another person that is now giving those certification and they do amazing work.

I personally give more credibility to this program than the others for the methodology they use.

That said, they don't absolutely have to be...... if you know a good fitter, your all set. if someone ask me for a advice, i would strongly recommend a FIST certified fitter. A simple opinion

2013-01-26 6:38 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Definitely the more comprehensive fit, but most importantly, never buy the fitting tools, buy the fitter! The tools are only as good as the person using them, so you can pay lots of money for the most cutting edge equipment and still end up with a poor fit, just as you can get the most amazing fit done by a really good fitter and quite primitive tools
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike fit Advice Rss Feed