General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gels & Power bars; are they really effective Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-01-28 4:50 AM
in reply to: #4595300

User image

Regular
NSW
Subject: RE: Gels & Power bars; are they really effective
i have only done sprints thus far, and concur that you dont really need gels for that length. I did take in too much low cal Gatorade, and felt it in the run. There are quite alot of water stations with electrolytes and water, but what u need depends onyour own body, and the climate that the eventvis being held in.My advise it to get some decent nutrition into you in the first half hour after finishing.

2013-01-28 7:49 AM
in reply to: #4596641

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
sspicer - 2013-01-27 11:32 AM
MonkeyClaw - 2013-01-27 9:13 AM

sspicer - 2013-01-26 10:23 PM Thanks to all for the information and thoughts.  Lots to "digest". Smile  Being new (as stated earlier), I have time to experiment.  My first race isn't until May and my workouts, therefore are running under 45 minutes as of now (following a BT custom program).

How long is your first race? 'Sports nutrition' is generally just bad-tasting candy. Carbs (sugars) and electrolytes (salts), sometimes caffeine. If your race isn't more than a couple of hours you shouldn't need anything. For long bike rides, I've been known to eat fruit, cookies, granola bars, and sports nutrition like gels. They all work pretty much the same. I like gels for running because they are easy to carry.

As a side note, the electrolyte mix in sports nutrition tends to be overrated and more of a marketing ploy than anything. Find whatever source of carbs you like (I like Oreos and Chips Ahoy) and use those if that's what your stomach handles best. Most things have some form of salt in them.

It's a sprint...Everything I've read up on outside of this forum tends to agree with you in that anything less than two hours, there is no need.  Inasmuch as a lot of the folks who replied to this thread/query are more than sprint athletes, I can understand the responses I've received.  Luckily I have an iron stomach so for me it should be more a matter of "taste" as opposed to what I can/cannot handle.

I just did my first sprint back in December.  For that, all I had was water and gatorade.  (And of course breakfast).  However, I could see where someone would take nutrition at T1 before the bike, so it would 'last' through the end.  So as a 6 month newbie with 1 sprint, I had no real nutrition and met all my goals.

But the key is to practice everything, so definitely practice your nutrition and see what your body wants.  Now that my distances are increasing (bike especially, I take something on those and gels are great for me...I even will take dried fruit).

2013-01-28 9:23 AM
in reply to: #4595300

User image

Master

Full disclosure:  I am a GU ambassador and as such I obtain reduced price products from GU.

Gels and power bars are fuel.  You need fuel to run or ride for a long time. 

Many people will try to sell you on the special osmodality of their product or the super aspects of their fuel or the superior absorption rate of XYZ brand or the non-fructose nature of PDQ brand.  They will cite "scientific" studies and anecdotal evidence and coaching certifications.  The bottom line is that people consume gels, drinks, chews, and bars for fuel and whatever fuel you can consume that does not upset your stomach at your race pace is fine.

Fueling does not have to be rocket science.  Use the REI "buy 12 things, get free shipping" deal and try out a bunch of different fuel sources and see what works for you.  You may find that you can ride with one type of food and something else works better for running.  I can eat solid stuff on the bike, but prefer only gels on the run.

GU works for me and that is why I use their products.  Please feel free to PM me if you would like to discuss further.  : )

Steph

2013-01-28 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4596915

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
sspicer - 2013-01-27 7:01 PM
Oldteen - 2013-01-27 4:34 PM
sspicer - 2013-01-27 2:32 PM
MonkeyClaw - 2013-01-27 9:13 AM

sspicer - 2013-01-26 10:23 PM Thanks to all for the information and thoughts.  Lots to "digest". Smile  Being new (as stated earlier), I have time to experiment.  My first race isn't until May and my workouts, therefore are running under 45 minutes as of now (following a BT custom program).

How long is your first race? 'Sports nutrition' is generally just bad-tasting candy. Carbs (sugars) and electrolytes (salts), sometimes caffeine. If your race isn't more than a couple of hours you shouldn't need anything. For long bike rides, I've been known to eat fruit, cookies, granola bars, and sports nutrition like gels. They all work pretty much the same. I like gels for running because they are easy to carry.

As a side note, the electrolyte mix in sports nutrition tends to be overrated and more of a marketing ploy than anything. Find whatever source of carbs you like (I like Oreos and Chips Ahoy) and use those if that's what your stomach handles best. Most things have some form of salt in them.

It's a sprint...Everything I've read up on outside of this forum tends to agree with you in that anything less than two hours, there is no need.  Inasmuch as a lot of the folks who replied to this thread/query are more than sprint athletes, I can understand the responses I've received.  Luckily I have an iron stomach so for me it should be more a matter of "taste" as opposed to what I can/cannot handle.

Need is different from optimal.  Obviously many can and do go 2+ hrs without nutrition.  OTOH best data suggests performance tends to be better with some caloric intake after 45-60min continuous exercise (about time muscle glycogen stores are significantly depleted without calories).  Check out the articles on this link from American College of Sports Medicine on "Nutrition and Exercise" and "Exercise and Fluid Replacement"-

http://acsm.org/access-public-information/position-stands

Well-referenced (though technical) info without the marketing hype.

And +1 for "nothing new on race day".  

LOVE IT!  I've merely glanced over the article and it answers many, many questions.  Thank you for taking the time to post.  My recommendation is others should read this as well.

For the sprint you may not want anything more than water but if it's a hot day you may want to have a sport drink at the very least that you're comfortable with as replacing the electrolytes will be helpful.

And many will advocate for 'living off the course' which is having whatever brand they offer at the aid station so you don't have to pack your own.  That is usually a good place to start and see if it works for you.

Best of luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gels & Power bars; are they really effective Rss Feed  

of 2