General Discussion Race Reports! » Max Tott 1/2 Marathon 76th Edition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Max Tott 1/2 Marathon 76th Edition - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Guatemala,
Guatemala
BAM
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 6s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am, 2 hrs before race start and had a light breakfast: 1 banana, OJ and a small bowl of cereal. Got all my gear ready and headed out for the race.
Event warmup:

Arrived at the race start 1 hour before the 7am official start time which was more than enough to stretch, do a short warm-up run and greet friends. I also had a gel before the start.
Run
  • 1h 46m 6s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Started the race at a fast pace until the end of mile 4, where the steepest climb of several on-going climbs begins. From mile 5 through mile 10 it was non-stop climbing and the toughest part of the race, so I focused on keeping a slower, but steady pace. After mile 10 it was mainly downhill or flat, so I was able to pick up the pace again. After all the climbing I was feeling OK from an aerobic standpoint, but my legs where feeling really sore, so I pushed the pace as much as a could all the way to the finish line. Nutrition wise, I had gels at 40 min and 80 min into the race and felt that was good enough for me.

I am happy with my overall time of 1:46:06 (non-official). I was not expecting to PR this race due to the steep climbs, but I was able to improve my time by 4-5 min. over the same race a year ago.
What would you do differently?:

I felt execution went well for this race, so I would focus on doing more hill training to further improve my time/endurance in this type of course.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank gatorade, water and had a banana at the end and went to get my finisher's medal. Caught up with my two daughters, parents and friends and then got a ride home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

LOL - Several steep and on-going hills

Event comments:

This is a very well organized race for Guatemala and this year they had the corral system in place, which helped spread out the runners at the start

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:46:06 | 13.2 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Garmin file for the race http://connect.garmin.com/activity/266513818
Course: This is a tough course with steep hills, resulting in over 1,200 ft of climbing, all within a distance of 5 miles of the race (miles 5-10).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes