United States
Children's TLC
65F / 18C
Total Time = 21m 33s
Overall Rank = 104/2200
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/106
Pre-race routine:

My company was a corporate sponsor for which 4 spots were available for participation. There were 4 of use oringally but one of our ladies was not able to make it. My friend Steve made us some really cool tech shirts. I wanted to have some fun with the shirts so I made up a team name "GroundDAWGS". Matt in our marketing department put a design together, turned out nicely.

Woke up at 5:30, took a nice warm shower to wake up, got dressed and headed out. Met John at Panera bread and we drove from there to the race. We got there before 7:00 which was good because once that parking lot filled up, you had to park across the road so far they had to bus you in.
Event warmup:

Walked around, drank a small cup of coffee, then about 10 minutes from race start we ran about 1/2 mile or so.
Run
  • 21m 33s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Started about midway from the front in the black wave 25 minutes and less). There was a kid next to me that looked like he was 8 years old. My initial goal was not to run into him. Horn goes off and I immediately start passing a few people just to get some free space around me. Not sure how fast I was going as being underground there's no GPS in play. I had to slow down for the first few turns as it was somewhat narrow and it seemed that people didn't know how to hold a smooth turn line. I would try to hold the same curve as the person in front of me and not make any hard angles etc. but many weren't doing that so I had to run defensively for the first few turns.

Things finally opened up so I was able to run more calmly. At about 1.5 miles in I realized I had gone out too fast and backed off the pace a little. I was O.K. with that given my run volume has been less than 15 mpw the last few months. With a little over 1/2 mile to go I catch up to that 8 year old. I slowly pass him thinking "wow, that kid can run". I looked at my watch to gauge how far we might be from the finish and at the same time I could feel the air being much cooler so I knew we were getting close to the finish.

So with about 30 yards to go that kid zooms past me in an all out sprint! I had nothin' I got "youthed" LOL. Turns out he was really 8 years old! Good for him, hope he keeps it up. I muster up what energy I had left and finished strong. I was hoping for something in the 20's but my lack of running over the last few months prevented that. Finished well in AG though I know this race was not stacked with talent.
What would you do differently?:

Nada, even if I went out slower I'm not sure my time would have been all that different.
Post race
Warm down:

Waled around looking for John, got some chocolate milk, some of that "Naked" juice stuff and a donut.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I swam in the AM the day before, nothing crazy but did 2700 yards with 10x100 on 1:40. Then rode the bike 40 miles in the afternoon, not exactly an easy ride as the headwinds were 10-15 mph for over half of it, still managed 19.3 mph. Had I not swam/rode would I have been that much faster?

Event comments:

Overall a good race. Well organized, plenty of volunteers. Our 5K was at 8:00, we left before the 10K started which was scheduled for 10:00. With 2200 running the 5K the fundraising numbers should be very positive.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2013-01-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:33 | 03.1 miles | 06m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/106
Overall: 104/2200
Performance: Good
Course: The course is on the roads inside an underground subtropolis. Very flat and a few turns.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-01-27 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: Groundhog Run 5K

2013-01-28 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4596798

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Groundhog Run 5K
GroundDAWGs, cool!!  Sounds like a really interesting race being underground and unable to rely on GPS.  Guess 'old skool' technology ruled the day!  Great results, Reece!
2013-01-31 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4596798

User image

Veteran
Kansas City
Subject: RE: Groundhog Run 5K
Good to see you Reece!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Groundhog Run 5K Rss Feed