F^3 Events
25F / -4C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 10m 43s
Overall Rank = 884/1375
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 102/187
Pre-race routine:

Slept in since the race started at 10:00 am. Picked up the rental Zipcar and drove to Montrose Harbor with an hour to spare. I didn't want to worry about parking and I just hung out in the warm car until 15 minutes before the start.
Event warmup:

Walked over to say hit to Lindsay, a friend who volunteered. Stood around for 15 minutes or so and then I was off.
Run
  • 2h 10m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

The path felt tight for a mile or two, but I knew things would open up later. By mile 2 I could feel my toes again! Runners around me were commenting about the same thing. Around mile 4 or 5 I started to get a bit over heated. I took my mitten shells off and stuffed them in my pocket. My regular gloves were more than enough for today. For the first time I actually checked to see where the fluid would be on the course. I took a gel just before mile 5, which is earlier than I usually do, and I think this was a good idea. At mile 8 I was running right behind a Yeti and cycling by me going the other way was the Hi Guy (http://higuy.com/). Very weird moment. I passed the Yeti, hit the turnaround and was thankful for the layers I had on. It wasn't too windy, but the headwind was enough to make me feel chilled. Took another gel just before mile 10. Around mile 11 marker I caught on to a group of women and hung on their pack the next mile. When they pulled to the side I knew I'd have to go the last mile alone and felt myself slowing down. I looked at my splits in the early parts of the race, but my the last few miles I wasn't looking. I peeked at my watch once the finish line was in sight and was bummed to see I wouldn't come in under 2:10. But I was happy to see Liz just before the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Try to hang onto the pace I had in mile 12.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my medal, cup of Gatorade, coconut water, mini Clif bar and Muscle Mile. Walked back to the finish area and chatted with Liz, who was spectating and waiting for a friend to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Never really got into a groove.

Event comments:

Great race. I've been involved since the beginning. I've either volunteered or run it the 4 years it has been around.

Last updated: 2012-08-16 12:00 AM
Running
02:10:43 | 13.1 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 102/187
Overall: 187/1375
Performance: Average
Course: From Montrose Harbor north along the lake to just beyond Bryn Mawr, then south almost to Oak Street, then back north to Montrose Harbor.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes