General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Logistics for morning swims Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-28 11:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Logistics for morning swims

Howdy y'all.

First tri season for me, and I need to get in the pool. Really the only time I have to swim is in the mornings before work. The pools around here open early enough, so that's not a problem, I'm just wondering how you've found the most effective way to manage your morning is regarding getting to the pool, getting to work, etc.

For background, I work at 8-ish in the morning, and have about a 30 minute commute. The pool that is most convenient is about 10 minutes from my house and about 25 minutes to work. Company dress code is shirt and tie. The office has an onsite gym with locker rooms/showers, etc.

In such a situation do you:

1) dress in swimsuit/warmups, etc., and take work clothes with you on a hanger, and change at the pool or at work after swimming, or

2) dress in work clothes and take swimsuit in a duffle bag to the pool, change before the swim, and then after either at the office or at the pool, or

3) some other combination of things I'm not considering? 

Out of the box suggestions are welcome. I really need to get swimming, and having this part planned out will help get me motivated to get out of bed at 5-something a.m. to get to the pool. Keep in mind that I'm in Utah and it's about really cold ºF in the morning, so I don't want to be walking to my car in a wet swimsuit, necessarily.

Gracias!

2013-01-28 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4597879

User image

Subject: RE: Logistics for morning swims
What works for me is to pack a bag of work clothes (shirt/pants on a hanger)the night before and stash it in the car. Go to the pool in my swim suit, swim, shower/change at the pool and head to work. The hard part for me is getting breakfast since I don't like to eat before working out. The Chick-fil-e near the pool has benefited greatly from this workout routine of mine. I find that packing the night before is key. First your clothes are already in the car helping to minimize the it's 4:30 and I don't want to do this phase, you don't have to think a lot and risk not packing something important at 4:30am like your underwear, socks, etc (I've been there before). Now I do live in Florida not Utah so it's generally not too bad getting to the car and from the car to the pool. May be different for you.
2013-01-28 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Since the pool is only ten minutes from your house, I'd suggest throwing on a warm-up suit after your swim and heading back home to get dressed for work.

My gym is only five minutes from my house, and that's what I do.  I much prefer getting dressed for work in my own bedroom rather than in a gym locker room.  It also lets me grab something to eat and another cup of coffee at home before heading off to the office.

Mark

2013-01-28 11:49 AM

Baltimore, MD

My gym/pool is on the way to work, so I go to the gym in my swim suit and sweats with work clothes packed in a bag.  I forego the hangers, even on days I wear a tie, but I work in a mfg setting.  I shower and dress at the gym and then head to work.  This cuts off some of the worst part of the morning rush for me.

I'll restate the importance of packing the night ahead.  If I haven't, it can become an excuse not to go.  Belt, underwear and towel are the things I've forgotten to pack, so I leave a back-up pair of underwear in my bag.

I prefer to eat a little something before I go  to the gym and then take something to eat at work around 9:30 - 10:00.

2013-01-28 11:54 AM

User image

Regular

Sounds like your best bet would be to go back home to shower and get ready for work.

When I first got into tri's I would take the bus and swim at the downtown Y and then walk the 3/4 mile to work. When it got warmer, i would ride to the Y on my bike and get ready for work at the Y. Of course it is very casual where I work so jeans and collared shirt is the only requirement.  

But I have seen many people putting on suit and tie at my gym in the mornings.

Test out both ways to see what works best for you. If the gym is actually on your way to work I'd just get ready at the gym even if wearing suit and tie.  

2013-01-28 12:04 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I would prefer not to add another 20 minutes to my swim mornings (10 minutes back home to get ready, 10 extra minutes on the commute or whatever). I'd just get ready at the gym.

Consider yourself LUCKY that your workplace also provides a gym, lockers and showers. Great set up for lunch workouts or bike commuting! Jealous!

2013-01-28 12:07 PM
in reply to: #4597944

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the tips all. I'll let you know how it goes.

lisac957 - 2013-01-28 11:04 AM

Consider yourself LUCKY that your workplace also provides a gym, lockers and showers. Great set up for lunch workouts or bike commuting! Jealous!

Oh I know it! I spend lunch every day either riding, running, or lifting. I don't know what I'd do if I got a job somewhere that didn't have a gym! It helps that my boss is an avid cyclist as well, so he's riding most days too.

2013-01-28 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
Detroit, MI. Kinda.
I'll take the extra few minutes of sleep and get dressed for work at the gym...I'm already showering when I get out of the pool anyway.  Then I'd hit a drive thru for breakfast.
2013-01-28 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, WI

For me, early morning workouts mean driving to YMCA dressed for workout with dress clothes on a hanger. Shower and change at the gym and head to work. Night before I make PB sandwich, some fruit and have my protein powder mix in a shaker bottle. After the workout I add cold water. That means no drive-thru breakfast, less temptation to eat crappy stuff.

2013-01-28 12:32 PM

User image

Haymarket, VA
If you have the time I'd say head back home.  It's what I do, but I have the flexibility to do so with my timetable.
2013-01-28 12:40 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

When i did morning swims last summer my option was closer to work so I wore my work clothes with my bathing suit underneath.  So it was a quick change out of work clothes at the pool (less time changing) and because I was taking public transit I also wasn't carring extra clothes I didn't need. Yes, i did look funny but most people on the subway don't care much. Then it was shower and prep for work at the pool (which was an awful high school changeroom but it was fine). 

The trick is to remember undergarments ... pack those the night before if you're not going to go home.

My husband one morning arrived in his flipflops and forgot regular shoes and looked pretty funny in the elevator at work dressed in his business casual with flipflops.  He did have some shoes at his desk but he was embarrassed (not the end of the world imho but depends on your work environment)

Edited by juniperjen 2013-01-28 12:41 PM

2013-01-28 12:52 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
I'll just add one more thing. I keep a bag at work, with all my "get ready stuff", soap, shampoo, brush, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc..  I have this bag so I can workout at lunch at the gym here (running, spinning).  Rather than carrying all that stuff with me when I swim, if I swim in the morning, I will come into work and shower afterwards, rather than getting ready at the gym.  This leaves me one less thing I have to haul around.
2013-01-28 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4597905

User image

Veteran
Texas

Then&Now - 2013-01-28 11:40 AM What works for me is to pack a bag of work clothes (shirt/pants on a hanger)the night before and stash it in the car. Go to the pool in my swim suit, swim, shower/change at the pool and head to work. The hard part for me is getting breakfast since I don't like to eat before working out. The Chick-fil-e near the pool has benefited greatly from this workout routine of mine. I find that packing the night before is key. First your clothes are already in the car helping to minimize the it's 4:30 and I don't want to do this phase, you don't have to think a lot and risk not packing something important at 4:30am like your underwear, socks, etc (I've been there before). Now I do live in Florida not Utah so it's generally not too bad getting to the car and from the car to the pool. May be different for you.

X2

2013-01-28 11:16 PM

User image

Master
I wear my swimsuit under my work clothes.  I have to eat before I swim, so I eat 1/2 a powerbar.  Shower, dressed, eat the other half the powerbar on the drive to work.  I have granola and yogurt that I keep at work, and that is my breakfast as I check emails.  Can't stress enough to pack the night before--no excuses and don't forget anything.
2013-01-29 7:28 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
baldmanrunning - 2013-01-28 11:26 AM

Howdy y'all.

First tri season for me, and I need to get in the pool. Really the only time I have to swim is in the mornings before work. The pools around here open early enough, so that's not a problem, I'm just wondering how you've found the most effective way to manage your morning is regarding getting to the pool, getting to work, etc.

For background, I work at 8-ish in the morning, and have about a 30 minute commute. The pool that is most convenient is about 10 minutes from my house and about 25 minutes to work. Company dress code is shirt and tie. The office has an onsite gym with locker rooms/showers, etc.

1) dress in swimsuit/warmups, etc., and take work clothes with you on a hanger, and change at the pool or at work after swimming, or

2) dress in work clothes and take swimsuit in a duffle bag to the pool, change before the swim, and then after either at the office or at the pool, or

Out of the box suggestions are welcome. I really need to get swimming, and having this part planned out will help get me motivated to get out of bed at 5-something a.m. to get to the pool. Keep in mind that I'm in Utah and it's about really cold ºF in the morning, so I don't want to be walking to my car in a wet swimsuit, necessarily.

Gracias!

I went with #1 and had a gym with a really nice locker room that I was using.

The thing that saved me a lot of time was having a bag of toiletries that stayed in my gym bag. So that way I wasn't have to pack and unpack those items all the time. Extra hairbrush... flat iron... etc. Obviously as a girl, I had a lot more to do to get ready, so that tip might be more helpful for someone else.

2013-01-29 7:39 AM
in reply to: #4597975

User image

Veteran
Germantown, 'Sconsin
Couldn't agree more with Tall.....put together a breakfast the night before.  Eat/drink on the way to work, and then you can 'hit the door running'.  If I'd be stopping at a drive-thru everyday, I would imagine I'd 1. spend more than I'd like, and 2. end up eating something I'd regret later.

2013-01-29 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4599228

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I'd pick #1.    No matter what, I recommend having everything laid out and just jump into your swimsuit and coverups in the morning.  However, I don't have to wear anything particular fancy for work. I am not sure if I could fit a pressed shirt on a hangar in my gym locker.

Some out of the box ideas:

1.  Bring a second lock so you can use two lockers, keeping your nice clothes separate.

2.  Leave your nice work clothes at work the day before.  Get dressed/do hair, etc, at the gym but put your coverups back on. 

MOST IMPORTANT:  DO NOT FORGOT TO PACK YOUR UNDERWEAR!

Less critical for men, but still...

Edited by BikerGrrrl 2013-01-29 8:38 AM
2013-01-29 9:00 AM

User image

Regular
SE Wisconsin
baldmanrunning - 2013-01-28 11:26 AM

Howdy y'all.

Gracias!

I also don't need to be at work (most days) until about 8, and have the same commute and distance to pool as you.  What I do (and did this morning):  Get to the pool 5:30 when it opens, swim for usually around an hour, meaning I can be back home by 6:45, which is more than enough time for me to shower, shave, dress and even make breakfast for the kids before leaving for work . 

2013-01-29 9:18 AM

User image

You have good suggestions here. I will beat the drum again that it is soooo important for these early morning things to pack a bag the night before. Otherwise you will forget important things like goggles and shoes. Not that I've done that more than once or anything. 

I can't eat before I swim so I grab my water bottle and fruit for after the swim.

I'm 2 minutes from my pool so I come home to shower but lots of guys who I swim with bring their work clothes and then after the workout get ready for work.

2013-01-29 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central Iowa

I used to have almost identical commute and drive to pool times as you. If I were to have come back home to shower/change/whatever I would have stalled out and wound up late for work. Also, I would have really hated the wasted time (even if it's just an extra 15 min of drive, it's also walking into and out of the house, etc.) and the wasted gas. But everyone is different.

The night before, I packed my swim bag (suit, goggles, cap, contact lenses, shampoo...) and work outfit bag (clothes, underwear, nice shoes, comb, hair product...).

In the morning I got up with the alarm--no snoozing--and eat a small bowl of cereal. At precisely the same time every day I stood up, but dishes in dishwasher, grabbed my bags, and shuffled out the door in my snow boots and pajamas.

At the pool, I changed into my swimsuit, contacts, etc.

After swimming, I went straight into the shower, rinsed my gear, and washed myself. Then all that was left to do was dry off, get dressed, and drive to work.

2013-01-31 7:46 AM

User image

I have to share this because the irony is too great and it's so funny. Ok, a couple of days ago I shared my sage wisdom about packing your work clothes the night before. This morning was a swim day for me so last night I followed my advice and packed my clothes and put them in tha car. Got up this morning, completed my swim, went to get dressed and noticed there was something odd about my Dockers. Checking the tag I confirmed the problem. Instead of my 32 waist 32 inseam Dockers i had my wife's size 10 slacks. With no time to drive back home and then to work I tried them on. They are actually not a bad fit. The pockets are too small for my wallet, but other than that they seem ok. So I'm rocking my wife's Dockers cross dressing at work. The moral of the story is be careful what topic you offer advice on.

2013-01-31 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4602495

User image

Extreme Veteran

Then&Now - 2013-01-31 7:46 AM I have to share this because the irony is too great and it's so funny. Ok, a couple of days ago I shared my sage wisdom about packing your work clothes the night before. This morning was a swim day for me so last night I followed my advice and packed my clothes and put them in tha car. Got up this morning, completed my swim, went to get dressed and noticed there was something odd about my Dockers. Checking the tag I confirmed the problem. Instead of my 32 waist 32 inseam Dockers i had my wife's size 10 slacks. With no time to drive back home and then to work I tried them on. They are actually not a bad fit. The pockets are too small for my wallet, but other than that they seem ok. So I'm rocking my wife's Dockers cross dressing at work. The moral of the story is be careful what topic you offer advice on.

I wouldn't mention this to your wife.  No woman would be excited to hear her husband can fit into her clothes.

2013-01-31 10:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Effect Snow Country
I had the same situation for three years and got it down to a science. First thing is to have a dedicated swim bag that contains all of your toiletry needs (buy duplicates of everything you use in the morning, including appliances if you use them) and leave this bag in your car. This is wear your pool goggles and cap live as well. Leave them and some spares always in this bag.

Dress like you going to work and grab your swimsuit and towel. I found that wearing my suit under my clothes often resulted in missing undergarments. This might be more or a chick thing though... Get ready for work at the pool. Put your car bag back together and carry your swimsuit rolled up in your towel. Those will come into the house with you tonight. (unless its summer, and the car gets hot, in which case I have been known to leave the towel and suit draped over the passenger seat to dry...).

Going back home means delays, always delays. I grabbed toast before I left and on swim days always always always ate an egg mcmuffin on my way to work. My twice weekly treat. 300 calories, 18g of protein and enough sodium to drop a moose. Whatever.

The trick is the duplicates of everything. It means never unpacking that bag and always being prepared.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Logistics for morning swims Rss Feed