General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Midfoot strike - blisters on balls of feet? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-05 3:10 PM
in reply to: #4599037

Subject: RE: Midfoot strike - blisters on balls of feet?

Please explain more about this running cadence and how that would prevent blisters?  I ran 4 miles again without my expensive anti blister nike socks and the blisters are worse.

I run on a mix of trail and concrete - I do notice stepping off curbs or running down hill, my foot kicks forward and lands out in front of me which makes it hurt more.

I have long legs and have a hard time keeping the feet under me while still landing on the midfoot as opposed to heel.

Are shorter strides really the key?

2013-02-05 4:03 PM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
I had the blisters, but finally found some new socks that work. Blisters hardly ever now. So then I bought like 30 pairs of those socks.

Very similar to these

http://www.bluefeathermedia.com/wp-content/themes/bluefeather/image...
2013-02-05 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4609938

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
manigoat - 2013-02-05 4:10 PM

Please explain more about this running cadence and how that would prevent blisters?  I ran 4 miles again without my expensive anti blister nike socks and the blisters are worse.

I run on a mix of trail and concrete - I do notice stepping off curbs or running down hill, my foot kicks forward and lands out in front of me which makes it hurt more.

I have long legs and have a hard time keeping the feet under me while still landing on the midfoot as opposed to heel.

Are shorter strides really the key?

The point isn't as much about a faster cadence as it is about not overstriding.  Landing under your hips and not in front of them is the important aspect.  Don't worry about what part of your foot touches the ground first.

By shortening up the front part of your stride, it becomes necessary to increase cadence to maintain the same pace.

2013-02-06 3:00 AM

User image

Orange, CA

I seem to have the same issue when I run. I run in five fingers and I tend to get the issue once I have been running for a while and get more tired or it happened sooner once when I realized I was somewhat dehydrated. I assumed it was always from my form breaking down as I got tired. It is only on my left foot which for some reason turns out more than my right foot. 

I could feel it happening because my foot is moving forward still when it hits the ground so the calloused area on the ball of my foot pushes backwards so it would create extra friction right behind it. I keep trying to figure out how to fix it and it seems like the advice on here it probably pretty good and I will try it out. In general I try to make it so that my foot is just placed on the ground instead of stopping forward and downward motion as I place it forward. It always seems like my feet are underneath me when they make contact with the ground, but it is obviously pretty hard to know how it lands every time when I am running.

Thanks guys.

2013-02-07 5:40 AM

I get blisters in the inside arch of my left foot too. Orthotics fixed my shin pain but left me with blisters. I used everything! Best thing I use now is simple medical grade strapping tape. Doesn't shift with sweat like duct tape. Good luck
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Midfoot strike - blisters on balls of feet? Rss Feed  

of 2