General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shops near Chicago/ Western Suburbs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-06 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4599526

Subject: RE: Bike shops near Chicago/ Western Suburbs
Anyone know what Bernie would charge to fit you on a bike you already have?  Would it be the same as if you already didn't have a bike?

2013-02-06 9:31 AM
in reply to: #4610863

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

wannatri? - 2013-02-06 9:05 AM Anyone know what Bernie would charge to fit you on a bike you already have?  Would it be the same as if you already didn't have a bike?

Not sure, but he did a bike fitting of my existing bike along with the reco for the new bike (the existing bike is what you see in the pic). Here is the Facebook page with a phone number on there. I'd give him a call.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/SmartFit-High-Performance-Bicycle-Fitting/343545555738281?fref=ts   

2013-02-22 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
So, based on MJ's and Nicole's rave reviews, I've booked an appointment with Bernie next weekend to get my bike set right.    Thanks for the recommendation!
2013-02-22 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4604249

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
doxie - 2013-02-01 10:12 AM
mattb1 - 2013-02-01 7:14 AM
nmladic - 2013-01-31 5:35 PM

(Still trying to avoid the drive to Mokena but will most likely do it anyway...)

Anybody have experience with Get A Grip on Irving Park road? Their shop looks super legit and they have great online reviews, plus a lot of information about bike fit online. 

I used to do everything at Get a Grip. Bought bikes there, wrenching needs and fits, have spent upwards of $15k there. Now you couldn't pay me to set foot in their store. They are terrible. I wouldn't waste your time coming into the city to deal with them.

I bought my tri bike there and did a fitting, but I was at the Fulton store and I had a great experience. What happened? Why don't you like them?

I too, would be interested in hearing about any bad experiences with Get A Grip, as I went through them to purchase my custom Ti Seven Axiom SL last year.  I dealt primarily with the fitter, Adam, in getting my measurements squared away for the frame build, but I can't really recall anything negative about the experience...other than that they are a bit pricey on everything. 

2013-02-24 3:06 PM

User image

My husband owns his own bike shop in Orland Park.  He's been a CAT II racer his whole life and now has his own shop.  He is the best mechanic and will fit you properly and put you on the right bike.

Orland Park Cyclery
Owner: Jim Saplis
708-460-2999

Maybe a bit of a drive, but if you do your research, you'll find that he knows his stuff, and you'll have a mechanic for life.

MJ on the board will swear by this too

2013-03-03 5:06 PM
in reply to: #4633534

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)

julio26pt2 - 2013-02-22 2:28 PM So, based on MJ's and Nicole's rave reviews, I've booked an appointment with Bernie next weekend to get my bike set right.    Thanks for the recommendation!

Just wanted to share my experience today with Bernie.  Absolutely fantastic!  He spent about 3 hours today no only working on measurements, but teaching me a lot about bike geometry and sharing general advice.  Tried as we did, my bike is just too small and is why I've never been able to get comfortable on it.  So after a while we switched to the machine where we found all of my dimensions and ideal fit and backed-into the brand/model that would fit me the best (there's a technical term for all of that, I'm sure....I just don't know it).  He is genuinely passionate about what he does and I appreciate the recommendation.  Once I get the new bike and have some saddle time, I'm going to go back to get it set up.  

I wish I had done a fitting like this years ago.  Once we got the fitting-machine (no idea what it's called) set to the proper measurements, it was a night-and-day difference in comfort.

Anyway, just wanted to give the plug and share the experience.  

Edited by julio26pt2 2013-03-03 5:08 PM

2013-03-04 3:28 PM

User image

over a barrier
GetaGrip is the only place I trust to touch my bike stable whether its my Cross, Mtn, Road, or Tri bike.

2013-03-20 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4633869

User image

Expert
nscrbug - 2013-02-22 7:33 PM
doxie - 2013-02-01 10:12 AM
mattb1 - 2013-02-01 7:14 AM
nmladic - 2013-01-31 5:35 PM

(Still trying to avoid the drive to Mokena but will most likely do it anyway...)

Anybody have experience with Get A Grip on Irving Park road? Their shop looks super legit and they have great online reviews, plus a lot of information about bike fit online. 

I used to do everything at Get a Grip. Bought bikes there, wrenching needs and fits, have spent upwards of $15k there. Now you couldn't pay me to set foot in their store. They are terrible. I wouldn't waste your time coming into the city to deal with them.

I bought my tri bike there and did a fitting, but I was at the Fulton store and I had a great experience. What happened? Why don't you like them?

I too, would be interested in hearing about any bad experiences with Get A Grip, as I went through them to purchase my custom Ti Seven Axiom SL last year.  I dealt primarily with the fitter, Adam, in getting my measurements squared away for the frame build, but I can't really recall anything negative about the experience...other than that they are a bit pricey on everything. 

Agreed-- I've bought two roadies and my tri bike there, and they've been nothing short of fantastic every time. Adam's great to work with, and the guys in the shop have patiently and kindly answered any and all questions I had every time I've gone in. They've even taught me how to pack up my bike in a bike box to take it to England last summer, and that went off without a hitch. So I'd be interested to hear about your experiences too.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shops near Chicago/ Western Suburbs Rss Feed  

of 2