General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shops near Chicago/ Western Suburbs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-01-29 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Subject: Bike shops near Chicago/ Western Suburbs

Hi Illinoisans,

I'm hoping to buy a new road bike soon. Please share some local bike shops in the Chicago/Western suburbs that you've had good experiences with. Also, any shops to avoid are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks and stay dry today!

~Nicole

2013-01-30 8:33 AM
in reply to: #4599526

Chicago
Subject: RE: Bike shops near Chicago/ Western Suburbs

Hey Nicole,

I'm in Oak Park, too. I know a lot of people locally here just head to Dan's on Roosevelt for their needs. But my family actually loves...and, yes, it's a long way...The Bike Shop Glen Ellyn. Friendly staff, great selection of bikes and gear, well-respected. They just got a new Guru for bike fit that we were allowed to try out if we wanted at the Joe Friel/Ryan Bolton seminar a couple weeks ago. Depends on what brand you want, too...they're mostly Felt/BMC. Dan's has Cannondale, I believe. 

2013-01-30 11:39 AM

User image

Chicago

I will second Bike Shop Glen Ellyn,  but also consider Urban Tri Gear in Burr Ridge.  Both are excellent shops, but they do not sell the same brands of bikes.

MJ

2013-01-30 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4601393

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Thanks for the recos gang! Keep em coming. I have a few friends who LOVE Dan's on Roosevelt, I'll go take a look and will also look up the Glen Ellyn one. 

Separately, in another thread a user told me NOT to buy a bike based on brand, but just to go into a shop and get fitted for models. That is counter-intuitive to how I thought the buying process would work; I figured I'd research a few models online first, go into shops that sell them and try them on for size.

Here was that thread. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=476041&posts=5&start=1

Curious to hear your thoughts on the bike purchase process (locally). I'm usually a pretty savvy gear purchaser, but I'm a little out of my comfort zone here.

2013-01-30 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4601393

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
Oh I think the guy at REI also mentioned about the shop in Burr Ridge. Thanks!
2013-01-30 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4601451

Chicago
nmladic - 2013-01-30 12:04 PM

Thanks for the recos gang! Keep em coming. I have a few friends who LOVE Dan's on Roosevelt, I'll go take a look and will also look up the Glen Ellyn one. 

Separately, in another thread a user told me NOT to buy a bike based on brand, but just to go into a shop and get fitted for models. That is counter-intuitive to how I thought the buying process would work; I figured I'd research a few models online first, go into shops that sell them and try them on for size.

Here was that thread. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=476041&posts=5&start=1

Curious to hear your thoughts on the bike purchase process (locally). I'm usually a pretty savvy gear purchaser, but I'm a little out of my comfort zone here.

I'll be curious what you think of Dan's. It's the kind of place I might run for a part fast, but it's a very different vibe than some other shops. Depends on what you value...

As far as the buying process, I'm a "research" type so I like to look at the bikes in my price range, narrow down a few models, then go from there. You know you best...I won't name the shop, but I had one bike fitter I respect try to talk me into a tri bike when my gut was telling me that a road bike is better for my situation. You mentioned Specialized Ruby in the thread--great company with lots of fans. FYI I'm a huge Felt fan though & they have a women's endurance series called the ZW line. My family currently all rides Scott. If you aren't familiar with brands, I'd read a few "best of" reviews from the cycling mags to see what they're looking for in terms of ride quality just to be able to understand components, handling, design, etc.. It's not like the fit advice to not focus on brand is "wrong." Just think of it like buying running shoes...research what Nike, Brooks, Asics, etc. have to offer so that when you walk into a store that doesn't carry Brooks you aren't missing something when that Saucony fits you great. Maybe the Brooks would fit just as well, look a little better, and gosh the reviews might say it lasts longer or offers more support. 

2013-01-30 1:04 PM
in reply to: #4601546

User image

Veteran
Oak Park
NewfangledDad - 2013-01-30 12:49 PM
nmladic - 2013-01-30 12:04 PM

I'll be curious what you think of Dan's. It's the kind of place I might run for a part fast, but it's a very different vibe than some other shops. Depends on what you value...

As far as the buying process, I'm a "research" type so I like to look at the bikes in my price range, narrow down a few models, then go from there. You know you best...I won't name the shop, but I had one bike fitter I respect try to talk me into a tri bike when my gut was telling me that a road bike is better for my situation. You mentioned Specialized Ruby in the thread--great company with lots of fans. FYI I'm a huge Felt fan though & they have a women's endurance series called the ZW line. My family currently all rides Scott. If you aren't familiar with brands, I'd read a few "best of" reviews from the cycling mags to see what they're looking for in terms of ride quality just to be able to understand components, handling, design, etc.. It's not like the fit advice to not focus on brand is "wrong." Just think of it like buying running shoes...research what Nike, Brooks, Asics, etc. have to offer so that when you walk into a store that doesn't carry Brooks you aren't missing something when that Saucony fits you great. Maybe the Brooks would fit just as well, look a little better, and gosh the reviews might say it lasts longer or offers more support. 

Thanks for the advice. That's where my head was. I'd hate to buy running shoes without doing the research first. Same with a car, etc. Obviously if I hop on and hate it, I move on, but it will help me to have a little background. 

2013-01-30 4:52 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Dan's Bike Shop in Berwyn (Roosevelt Rd) is a good shop too.  Really nice people and they carry Felt (my favorite brand).
2013-01-30 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois

Hey fellow Oak Parker's!  

Dan's is a good shop; right down the street!  I see that Element Multi-Sport is going to be opening in Oak Park soon as well.

I just bought a new MTB, and I actually ended up going to the western suburbs.  If you drive along Route 31 starting in Aurora and head up,  there was over a dozen shops on or just off RT 31 heading North.  It's definetly a day trip! 

But it was fun seeing all the shops, the different vibes and who is really customer friendly or not.  There's also a lot of sales (2012 models) right now, so again well worth the drive. 

2013-01-30 8:55 PM
in reply to: #4602066

Chicago
tzcoaching - 2013-01-30 7:38 PM

Hey fellow Oak Parker's!  

Dan's is a good shop; right down the street!  I see that Element Multi-Sport is going to be opening in Oak Park soon as well.

I heard that about Element opening...or rather saw the sign in the window. I find it interesting that there hasn't been more press. I see this on their FB from Jan 14: "We are getting very close to opening...likely just a few weeks out. We'll be updating our website, Facebook etc soon as well." 

2013-01-30 10:16 PM
in reply to: #4601451

User image

Chicago
This is a great question.I tell athletes that the MOST IMPORTANT part about buying a bike is to make sure you get one at FITS! Whether it's $500 or $5000, if it doesn't fit, it is a waste of money. Too many times, I hear of bike shop owners pushing customers to a particular brand only because they have it sitting in their shop ready to go. This is why I recommend Bernie Conway. He owns SmartFit Bicycle Fitting. He is NOT a bike store owner and receives no kickbacks from any manufacturers. You go see him, he sizes you up and will research to find out what brands/models would work best for you. THEN, from that list, you go test ride whichever you like. Then you go back to him for minor adjustments and you'll be riding comfortably AND efficiently. Best yet? His fit is only $180. Much, much cheaper than what other places are and he's one of the most thorough professionals I've ever met. Check him out on Facebook. Or shoot me a message and I'd be happy to share his contact info.MJ

2013-01-31 5:09 PM
in reply to: #4602237

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

MJSlikas - 2013-01-30 10:16 PM This is a great question.I tell athletes that the MOST IMPORTANT part about buying a bike is to make sure you get one at FITS! Whether it's $500 or $5000, if it doesn't fit, it is a waste of money. Too many times, I hear of bike shop owners pushing customers to a particular brand only because they have it sitting in their shop ready to go. This is why I recommend Bernie Conway. He owns SmartFit Bicycle Fitting. He is NOT a bike store owner and receives no kickbacks from any manufacturers. You go see him, he sizes you up and will research to find out what brands/models would work best for you. THEN, from that list, you go test ride whichever you like. Then you go back to him for minor adjustments and you'll be riding comfortably AND efficiently. Best yet? His fit is only $180. Much, much cheaper than what other places are and he's one of the most thorough professionals I've ever met. Check him out on Facebook. Or shoot me a message and I'd be happy to share his contact info.MJ

Wow, he really sounds like he knows what he's talking about! I just looked him up on Facebook. How long does a fitting take? My only concern is that he's an hour away from Oak Park, and I work downtown full time, so anytime I needed to go back to him would be a challenge and could only happen on a weekend. Do they do this at Dan's? To google I go! 

2013-01-31 5:24 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member

I bought my most recent bike at Urban Tri and was generally pleased with the experience there.  The shop itself is kind of a wreck, but the guys know what they're doing and they had a number of bikes around for me to test ride and the test ride loop was a couple of miles that even included a couple of Chicago-type inclines.

I went to a couple of places (Endure It and Trek) and found that they had very few bikes for me to choose from (not just in stock, but what they could even get for me in my size since I'm short).  Urban Tri had 3 bikes in stock for me to try and could get another 2.  While I understand that you don't necessarily want to buy just whatever someone has in stock, there's an upside to having a number of bikes to test ride without any sort of obligation.

I think the post above about the guy who's not necessarily interested in selling you a certain brand holds water and I'd check them out.  I would imagine that you could schedule something on the weekend.

2013-01-31 5:35 PM
in reply to: #4603408

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

(Still trying to avoid the drive to Mokena but will most likely do it anyway...)

Anybody have experience with Get A Grip on Irving Park road? Their shop looks super legit and they have great online reviews, plus a lot of information about bike fit online. 

2013-01-31 5:47 PM
in reply to: #4603419

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
nmladic - 2013-01-31 5:35 PM

(Still trying to avoid the drive to Mokena but will most likely do it anyway...)

Of course, if you're in Mokena, you're only about 10 minutes away from me... I'd treat you to dinner/drinks!

2013-01-31 6:27 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
I've never had a fitting done @ Dans.  I'd go to the guy MJ suggested though- you're going to get a lot less biased fitting from someone who doesn't sell bikes.  My first fitting I ever had (at an unnamed bike shop in Denver) they fit me to a bike they had in stock.

2013-01-31 9:14 PM

New user

The Bike Shop in Glen Ellen is great. They also just got the new Guru fit system. Pretty cool stuff. They are worth the drive.

Gabe

2013-01-31 9:28 PM

Bernie in one class act. I have never gotten a bike fitting from him, but I have trained with him. I asked him alot of questions and he was great. I also highly recommend Urban tri in burr ridge. I have been using them for about three years and they have been verry very good to me. I have been wanting a new bike for about a year and talked to them every couple of weeks. They never pushed me and were always willing to help. They give great advice on tris and never try to upsell anything. I am realitivly new to the sport and did not have any biking backround. They continue to educate me. I generally go there in the middle of the day and end up spending a couple of hours talking and learning with/from them. I recently bought a quintano roo cdo1 dura ace with carbon wheel. Wow what a price, and fitting. I have tried other bike stores, not the ones mentioned and I will only go with urban tri. Btw if u are looking for a fun tri club in the western suburbs take a look at tri-smart. They have been great for me.
2013-01-31 11:07 PM

Urban Tri-Gear is a good one.  I also have seen/heard about another new shop in Countryside at Willow Springs Road and Joliet - Ultimate Pro Bikes - www.ultimateprobikes.com.  Small shop with one ex-pro who does a lot of rides.

I bought my bike in Madison, WI at Budget Bicycle Shops.  They have 4 locations in Madison.  Madison is definitely the place for deals.  

Tony

2013-02-01 7:14 AM
in reply to: #4603419

User image

Master
Chicago

Anybody have experience with Get A Grip on Irving Park road? Their shop looks super legit and they have great online reviews, plus a lot of information about bike fit online. 

I used to do everything at Get a Grip. Bought bikes there, wrenching needs and fits, have spent upwards of $15k there. Now you couldn't pay me to set foot in their store. They are terrible. I wouldn't waste your time coming into the city to deal with them.

Edited by mattb1 2013-02-01 7:35 AM
2013-02-01 9:28 AM
in reply to: #4603617

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

I called Bernie today. I'm a little embarrassed by how unknowledgeable I am, but he seems very helpful and I'm looking forward to our session on Sunday. You guys are awesome! And by the way, MJ, he had nothing but good things to say about you so the feeling is clearly mutual.

This is particularly great because once I get the fitting, I can go up to Wisconsin and look for deals. (Or to some of the shops listed here. They sound great.

Thanks for all your help everyone. Looking forward to a sweet new ride soon.

Edited by nmladic 2013-02-01 9:49 AM

2013-02-01 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4603881

User image

Regular
Chicago
mattb1 - 2013-02-01 7:14 AM

I used to do everything at Get a Grip. Bought bikes there, wrenching needs and fits, have spent upwards of $15k there. Now you couldn't pay me to set foot in their store. They are terrible. I wouldn't waste your time coming into the city to deal with them.

I bought my tri bike there and did a fitting, but I was at the Fulton store and I had a great experience. What happened? Why don't you like them?

2013-02-01 10:31 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Does smartfit have a website where you can see what kind of services they offer?  I'm looking to upgrade my road bike this spring.  I usually deal with Endure it, but the last couple times they've had one of my bikes in the shop for work it takes months for turn around time and I get no calls on progress.  It's really sad, I've had such great service with them in the past and used to do their computrainer classes as well.  I've probably spent $20k there in the last few years and they were usally great!!! Frown  I'm not sure I want to go through the process over there if that's the kind of service I'm going to get.  If I didn't have other bikes I would never be able to train!
2013-02-03 5:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park

Hi all! I went to Bernie today and just wanted to say that it was a really good experience for this newbie. He shot video, used software, has a machine that mimics other frames, and spent 2 hours with me educating me all about bike options and body angles.  Here's a photo that he sent after... 

SmartFit

He recommended both a tri bike and a road bike for me.  I was pleasantly surprised that the road bike he reco'd for my price point and body was a Trek (Madone). I didn't tell him before but my old mountain bike was a trek and I loved that bike.  He also reco'd a Quintanna Roo Dulce if I wanted to consider a tri bike (and he let me ride the QR set up). 

I'm pretty sure that I'm gonna stay with the road bike because I'm used to the position and I like it, but I'm curious if you guys have other opinions on that subject.

What a helpful thread this has been!

I will say that Bernie also does bike computrainer classes and if I lived closer I'd totally check those out. It's a pretty straight shot down LaGrange Road from Oak Park, if you guys are interested in going there ever. I didn't know what to expect since he runs the business out of his house but I was really impressed by the experience. MJ can probably tell you more about him because they work/train together from what I gather. Thanks MJ!

Edited by nmladic 2013-02-03 5:46 PM
2013-02-04 9:22 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
WOW!!! that's one heck of a service for the price! 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shops near Chicago/ Western Suburbs Rss Feed  

of 2