General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression calf sleeves - share the knowledge please? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-01-29 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands
Subject: Compression calf sleeves - share the knowledge please?

I'm going to buy some calf sleeves for training and an upcoming event.  I've read a number of reviews on different makes:

Zensah, Salomon, Zoot, 2XU etc. 

All seem to be much of a muchness, any top tips?

I'll use them for running and recovery between the runs also, runs will be on trails.

Plan on getting a couple to a few sets, so if you have some that you like for recovery and some that are good on the run, that works too.

what say you BT?  who has experience using calf sleeves for running/recovery and which do you like?

Edited by dewybuck 2013-01-29 11:07 AM

2013-01-29 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4599644

User image

Subject: RE: Compression calf sleeves - share the knowledge please?
I've personally been using the 2XU calf sleeves for a couple of years now. I use them on all of my long runs & races. One pair lasted me a couple of years. I also use their tights and recovery socks as well, so it's a brand that I've been comfortable with for quite a while. 
2013-01-29 12:29 PM
in reply to: #4599735

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Thanks Irish,

Appreciate the comments, I am thinking of sleeves to race in and socks to recover.  I like the write ups on the 2XU sleeves.

It's down to those, Salomon and Zensah I think.

2013-01-29 1:28 PM

User image

Master
Charlotte

Skip the 2XU ones (IHMO).  The compression is minimal (unless you count the uncomfortable rubber gripper to hold them up).

CEP sleeves and socks are way better.  Along with 2Xu and CEP, I also have used Zensah compression socks, and while good for recovery, have a hard time keeping them up while running.  Zero problems with the CEP (wife and I both have them).

I normally use my compression stuff post hard/long run only.  I do occasionally throw them on for a run when it is cold and my tights are dirty.  I haven't found they do much while running (they don't hurt either), but I find them very useful for recovery (especially during IM/Marathon training).

2013-01-30 7:54 AM
in reply to: #4599893

User image

Expert
Broadlands
bgraboski - 2013-01-29 2:28 PM

Skip the 2XU ones (IHMO).  The compression is minimal (unless you count the uncomfortable rubber gripper to hold them up).

CEP sleeves and socks are way better.  Along with 2Xu and CEP, I also have used Zensah compression socks, and while good for recovery, have a hard time keeping them up while running.  Zero problems with the CEP (wife and I both have them).

I normally use my compression stuff post hard/long run only.  I do occasionally throw them on for a run when it is cold and my tights are dirty.  I haven't found they do much while running (they don't hurt either), but I find them very useful for recovery (especially during IM/Marathon training).

Out of curiosity, and because I obviously have thin legs according to all the sizing charts :-), I was concerned about this.  I was going to size down and try them, did you buy to the size chart or size down on the 2XU?  it says to size down for more compression, but if you say the top band was already uncomfortable I assume it would be worse.

going to check out the CEP ones now.  thanks for the tip.

2013-01-30 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4600933

User image

Master
Charlotte
dewybuck - 2013-01-30 8:54 AM
bgraboski - 2013-01-29 2:28 PM

Out of curiosity, and because I obviously have thin legs according to all the sizing charts :-), I was concerned about this.  I was going to size down and try them, did you buy to the size chart or size down on the 2XU?  it says to size down for more compression, but if you say the top band was already uncomfortable I assume it would be worse.

going to check out the CEP ones now.  thanks for the tip.

I bought the "correct" size for my calf. While I think the compression would have been better with a size lower, the rubber band at the top would have probably caused my leg to fall off.  

The CEP ones have never moved an inch (they are actually hard to move once you get them on).  The Zensah socks i have, constantly pull down when very active (but stay for the most part while just walkiing around).  I use them as dress socks at work the day after a tough workout and find I do have to pull them up 1-2x a day after sitting at a desk all day

2013-01-30 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4601271

User image

Expert
Broadlands
bgraboski - 2013-01-30 11:42 AM

While I think the compression would have been better with a size lower, the rubber band at the top would have probably caused my leg to fall off.  

The CEP ones have never moved an inch (they are actually hard to move once you get them on).  The Zensah socks i have, constantly pull down when very active (but stay for the most part while just walkiing around).  I use them as dress socks at work the day after a tough workout and find I do have to pull them up 1-2x a day after sitting at a desk all day

After reading your first post, that was my concern.  Checked out the site for the CEP products, may get a set to try out.

thanks again!

Edited by dewybuck 2013-01-30 10:54 AM
2013-01-30 11:55 AM

User image

Master
Charlotte

$35 and free shipping here --> http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-CEPMCCS.html

Thereare also 10% discounts out there but you have to look hard. 

2013-01-30 1:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ

I have 3 pairs.  2 are ZOOT and 1 is 2XU. 

The 2XU ones aren't a compressive (tight) as the Zoot ones.  I wear the 2XU ones on lower mileage ones.  The bands don't bother me at all. 

I LOVE LOVE love the ZOOT ones as they feel very tight on my calves.  I did have a problem that occurred twice with them though.  They would rip about 1/4 of the way down (looking towards my feet) from left to right after about 2 months of using them.  I called Zoot both times and asked them if this was normal.  They had great customer service and said it was not normal for them to fall apart.  I wash them gentle cycle and air them dry and put them on really gingerly.  About the only thing I/we could think of was that they had a snag or something that caused the material to rip.  Anyway...both times they replaced them through my local retailer for free.  I have the proper size as well.

The biggest problem I have now is figuring out which way to put them on.  Lettering in front or back? 

Hope that helps a little.  Oh, my wife has CEP compression sox and loves them.  For what that's worth.

2013-01-30 7:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook

Have been using CEP compression sleeves and they work fine for recovery and the run. Wore them during IMOO. They stayed up and I am sure helped me during the marathon and the bike.

I wear them at night for recovery or during the day after long runs.

Use Desoto Compression socks just for recovery. Like to run in different socks

2013-01-30 9:43 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Another vote for the CEP sleeves.  I did Goofy's challenge down at Disney a few weeks ago and bought a pair at the expo.  I wore them between the races and after the marathon.  I loved them! They fit very snug, but not uncomfortable in any way.  The guy at the booth sized me and gave me the size that fit my measurement. 

2013-01-31 5:12 AM

User image

Expert
Broadlands

Thanks everyone, a pretty good show for the CEP sleeves, will order some today and give them a shot.

also think I'll go with the recovery sock from them.

thanks again!

2013-01-31 11:49 AM

New user
SLS2 sleeves for me and CEP for the better half, always been skeptical about compression. Both have the numbers with the regard to the medical grades plus were both 30% less I use mine for all runs more than 1.5 hours and what i have noticed is i do not feel that sore after my long runs, made me a believer during a 2.5 hr run, had a mini calf twinge but went away after a few seconds of walking, it did feel sore afterwards but felt it could have been worse, i just wore the socks at home and rubbed the soreness away and was able to run again the next afternoon.
2013-01-31 1:07 PM

I have been using CEP calf sleeves and Zoot socks, cant speak highly enough of either! They have been perfect and really assisted with a calf strain, no movement once on.
2013-02-04 2:47 AM

New user

+1 on CEP calf sleeves.

I own a couple pairs of them and also some 2XU ones and I definitely prefer the CEP ones. I feel that they offer better compression and help my legs feel fresher while I run.

2013-02-04 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4607143

User image

Veteran
Alta

Another CEP fan-

http://www.trisports.com/cep-mens-all-sports-compression-sleeve.html

These are my favorite...

2013-02-05 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Broadlands
received the CEP and Zoot sleeves a few days ago, wore the zoot for a small run, they seemed to fit OK.  wore the CEP as recovery after an 18 mile run, they seemed to do the job, not sure if it was in my head.  more miles this week so we'll see.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Compression calf sleeves - share the knowledge please? Rss Feed