Ironman North America
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 37m 50s
Overall Rank = 930/2827
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/117
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 4:30 and started eating :) and drinking. Was able to get through most of the 500-600 calories by the time the nerves started to kick in. It was chilly so I stayed inside the Terrace which was probably the worst place to be because everyone around me was nervous. But the plus side is that the bathrooms were warm and there was never really a line
Event warmup:

Not much to warm up before you are going to spend 12 plus hours racing
Swim
  • 1h 10m 11s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got in the water as soon as they let us. Once I was in all the nerves went away. Swimming is one of my strengths so I was happy as could be once I got in. I ended up starting in the middle and in the front row. I figured I would rather fight to stay up vs having a bunch of people in my way.

This was the most violent race I have ever done! Usually after the first 10 minutes or so I catch a groove and get into my own space. I had no space the whole time. Sighting was pretty easy except for the last part. It felt like we were swimming forever before we finally turned back towards the swim out. I was very surprised when I got out and saw my time. With all the fighting for a position I thought I would be at least 10 min slower
What would you do differently?:

I have no idea...maybe put spikes on my wetsuit to keep people away
Transition 1
  • 07m 41s
Comments:

Transition is so different than any other race I have done. It was great to have all the help but I think it wastes a lot of time going in and sitting down, changing etc.

Practice running up the helix. That got my HR up
Bike
  • 6h 14m 27s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I have to admit this was one of my best rides. I trained on the course at least 4-5 times and it was worth it. My nutrition went great, I felt strong on the hills, I kept my HR and cadence in check. My only issue was drafting. It was hard not to and what really got me is that one of the race officials pulled their motorcycle next to me - basically giving me a "warning" when up ahead of me they were riding 4 across!

I can always use more practice on hills. But all of the time spent training really paid off.
Transition 2
  • 06m 10s
Comments:

As with T1, T2 everyone helps you. At this point after riding 112 miles I appreciated the help.
Run
  • 5h 04m 21s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Let me preface this my explaining how my training went. Running was my biggest strength going into the training. Then in November I was diagnosed with a stress fracture in my femur - 10 weeks off running. I spent most of that time biking. I limited my running throughout the rest of the winter and in the spring did a decent 20K. I also started working with a personal trainer on developing core strength specific to running. About 6 weeks before the half I was going to do I felt a sharp pain in my foot..yep another stress fracture. The doctor okd me to compete in the half and I was able to run the whole 13 miles. However, it was already July and the most I was able to build up to was 14 miles so as to not risk another injury

That all being said I felt great for the first 10 miles. Pace was right on target, nutrition was going well...then I started to fade a little...still by the half way point I was on pace for my goal of a 4 hour marathon. However, the 2nd half didn't go well at all. I ended up walking...A LOT...My legs were shot. Everything hurt. I tried all I could think of to get them going but in the end I just kept moving. I was so happy to see that finish line

I know I could take at least 30 minutes or more off the run time if I had the chance to train for longer mileage. In the end I did what I could and emotionally struggled as much as I did physically but there was no way I was not going to let my journey end anything short then that finish line!
Post race
Warm down:

Ha! Straight to med tent. Since it was still kind of early it wasn't busy so I got an awesome massage along with some diet coke!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Injuries. My strongest sport of the 3 ended up being my weakest.

Event comments:

The volunteers were incredible. The crowd support was incredible as well. The experience is indescribable. I learned so much training for IM. This was my 3rd season racing and it was much different than the other 2. I learned that you can't be the best at any one discipline - you can be good or really good- but you have to balance the 3. This was really hard for me to get past because I always push myself to be the best in every area of my life. I did get past it though and I feel that it made me a better person.

Yes I know that it took me a really long time to get this race report done. Almost as long as it took me to train :)

Last updated: 2011-09-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:10:11 | 4224 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/117
Overall: 248/2827
Performance: Good
Suit: Full sleeved
Course: One very long loop - I can't imagine what it was like when it was 2 loops.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 07:41
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:14:27 | 112 miles | 17.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/117
Overall: 565/2827
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out to Verona, 2 loops, back to Monona Terrace. Very hilly course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:04:21 | 26.2 miles | 11m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/117
Overall: 930/2827
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2013-01-31 4:35 PM

User image

Expert
Waukesha, WI
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2013-01-31 8:20 PM
in reply to: #4603373

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin
Awesome Lisa!   You are an ironman!   You know I knew it all along.   Just sayin.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed