Site Issues Custom Training Plan Creator » Custom HIM plan w/ HM race one month out. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-01 9:37 AM

Subject: Custom HIM plan w/ HM race one month out.

So I am doing my first HIM in June and trying to set up a training plan for that which will start next week. I will also be running a HM 4 weeks prior to the HIM and want to know how I will incorporate that into my current plan.  Do I just need to adjust it so that the week before the HM is a recovery week to allow for some taper?   Is there a better way to incorporate that into the custom plan?

Also, I have done 2 olympic races the latest being in August of 2012.  I also completed a half marathon late in October and while not consistent on the running I've kept it up since then.  I also have being doing Jorge's winter plan and am in week 11 doing the three shorter workouts.  I have also been doing a masters swimming group 2-3 days a week where I swim 2800-3500 yards as per the planned workout.  If I select  a beginner level, since this is my first him, for the custom plan the numbers and mileage seem extremely low starting out.  Am I better off starting out shorter and building.  Or would I be better off going with an intermediate level plan and would that give me more mileage starting out.  It just seems looking at the plan that I would be starting completely over not taking into consideration my current fitness?

2013-02-03 2:25 PM
in reply to: #4604155

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Custom HIM plan w/ HM race one month out.

See bold below:

lagdawg - 2013-02-01 10:37 AM

So I am doing my first HIM in June and trying to set up a training plan for that which will start next week. I will also be running a HM 4 weeks prior to the HIM and want to know how I will incorporate that into my current plan.  Do I just need to adjust it so that the week before the HM is a recovery week to allow for some taper?  YES, THIS IS A SIMPLE WAY.  I ASSUME YOU ARE USING THE HIM RUNNING PART OF THE PLAN FOR THE HM?  OR YOUR OWN HM PLAN? Is there a better way to incorporate that into the custom plan?

Also, I have done 2 olympic races the latest being in August of 2012.  I also completed a half marathon late in October and while not consistent on the running I've kept it up since then.  I also have being doing Jorge's winter plan and am in week 11 doing the three shorter workouts.  I have also been doing a masters swimming group 2-3 days a week where I swim 2800-3500 yards as per the planned workout.  If I select  a beginner level, since this is my first him, for the custom plan the numbers and mileage seem extremely low starting out.  Am I better off starting out shorter and building.  Or would I be better off going with an intermediate level plan and would that give me more mileage starting out.   I WOULD DO THE INTERMEDIATE SINCE YOU ALREADY HAVE HM TRAINING AND AM ON A HIGHER-INTENSITY CYCLING PLAN - PLUS THE MASTERS SWIMMING.  It just seems looking at the plan that I would be starting completely over not taking into consideration my current fitness?  YOU ARE CORRECT.  THE BEGINNER PLAN IS MORE 'BEGINNER' TO THAT VOLUME, NOT EXACTLY FOR YOUR FIRST HIM.  

2013-02-04 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4606589

Subject: RE: Custom HIM plan w/ HM race one month out.

Ron thanks for you answers, I will implement a more intermediate plan.  

To be honest i've never really followed a true plan other than for my half marathons I just wanted to run 3 days a week and build my long run up every week or so until I hit 12-13 miles 1-2 weeks before the race.  My idea was that I wanted to get more running in for the HIM and to help improve at the HM distance so I want to up my plan to running 4 days a week.  Part of the reason I'm running that particular HM is because my wife is running it so I figured I would just let my work from teh HIM plan work and adjust some of my long runs to match her plan leading up to the race.  Otherwise I don't have a specific HM plan.  

This will be my first time trying to follow a training plan and it is just a little overwhelming getting it all set up.  I think it will be good to help keep me from over doing things as my training for tris so far has been a little all or nothing and semi haphazard.

New Thread
Site Issues Custom Training Plan Creator » Custom HIM plan w/ HM race one month out. Rss Feed