General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Vector Alternatives? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-02 12:00 PM

User image

Los Gatos
Subject: Garmin Vector Alternatives?

Getting fed up waiting for the Garmin Vector power pedals, plus I'm concerned about the ongoing quality issues and the proposed high price.

Can anyone recommend a good pedal-based alternative?

Need them to be Look-compatible and ANT+...thanks.

SM

2013-02-02 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4605615

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Garmin Vector Alternatives?
I think the only pedal based alternative are the Polar ones and they don't speak ANT+
2013-02-02 3:45 PM

User image

Why do you specifically want a pedal based power meter?  There are many options out there that satisfy 99% of people's needs.  I would agree that an affordable and reliable PM in the pedal would be logistically nice, but it's really not necessary or a "make or break" quality for most people.
2013-02-02 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4605795

User image

Los Gatos

Wanting pedal based so I can easily transfer them between bikes.

What other recommendations would you have?

Don't want to have to buy a special wheel with a PowerTap or similar - I have great wheels already.

Yes, I could have a wheelbuilder incorporate a PowerTap into my wheels but it's a hassle and it's expensive.

2013-02-02 5:54 PM

User image

Crank based powermeter can also be swapped between bikes with the following assumptions...

1.  If you have bottom brackets that are compatible or that can become compatible with an insert sleeve.

2.  You are okay with using the same crank/chainrings on all the bikes you intend to use the PM on.  You may not want to use 53/39 chainrings on a cyclocross bike or a mountain bike...but then again power during mountain biking isn't as critical as it is on the road.

Personally, I use a powertap.  Works well for me as I had it built into a training wheel by wheel builder and ordered a disc cover with it for racing.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin Vector Alternatives? Rss Feed