Subject: RE: 2013 NYC Tri: Roll Call
3438. Ditto. LOL

2013-07-09 12:32 PM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
LOL. Anyone staying at the Hilton (host hotel)? I'm there Fr/Sa nights.

Mike
2013-07-09 1:20 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

I am staying at the Hilton too. Getting in Saturday sometime.
Fist timer to this event and this distance.
Nervous and really excited. The thread has got me all pumped up for this now.

Anyone know how to get your bike from the hotel to transition? Do you bike there not fermiliar with NYC
2013-07-09 1:35 PM
in reply to: shaper2379

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Not so sure I want to ride it there so I'll likely walk it over. Will be my first Oly as well (but have done 2 HIM's). The location for this race is what made me want to give it a shot. How often are you going to race through/in/around Manhattan? Just about never, I'd think.
2013-07-09 3:49 PM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

4502. Now, you'l have to try really hard to come in behind me, both in the bib number and the race finish ; )

But yea, the race itself is pretty fun. Gotta love the swim in Hudson. Run through central park is awesome. Bike, not so much but still cool. cant wait!

2013-07-09 4:16 PM
in reply to: piok_opze

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
I'm number #2986.

I'll be doing transition tours for the Yellow transition area between 2:30 and 5:30 on Saturday. I'll probably wear my white IM70.3 hat. Feel free to come by and take a tour or just say hi. If you're in the red transition, let me know and I'll make a point of showing you the stuff that's specific to your transition.

2013-07-09 4:23 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by shaper2379

I am staying at the Hilton too. Getting in Saturday sometime.
Fist timer to this event and this distance.
Nervous and really excited. The thread has got me all pumped up for this now.

Anyone know how to get your bike from the hotel to transition? Do you bike there not fermiliar with NYC

It's not bad on the bike. You can ride up 6th (it's busy, but I think there's a bike lane) to the park, and then ride around the park to the 72nd street entrance. (go counter-clockwise until you get to terrace drive, then turn west. It takes you almost right to the 72nd St. entrance, or just ride your bike carefully against traffic clockwise, whichever you prefer). Once you get to 72nd, you can ride west down 72nd St. to the end, enter the park, go through the tunnel and down the hill and you'll be right at the Yellow Transition.

Or you could take off your front wheel and put the bike in a cab.

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2013-07-09 4:35 PM
2013-07-09 6:43 PM
in reply to: jmk-brooklyn

User image

Champion
New York, NY

do I really need a tour of transition??????? figured when I drop my bike I would scope out swim in, bike out bike in and run out
2013-07-10 5:21 AM
in reply to: TriToy

Regular
1911 here!

I've done the ride from the hotel before - it's not so terrible, and you can probably find others who are leaving and bike with them. I ride west to the water where the Hudson River Greenway is - its a protected bike and pedestrian path that runs up and down the west side of the island. Then straight up to transition.

You don't necessarily need a tour of transition as long as you are comfortable following others. It is a little confusing.
2013-07-10 7:06 AM
in reply to: mildew33

Staying at the hotel Saturday/Sunday (figured I'd give the wife a nice extra night in the city for putting up with me these last seven months).
2013-07-10 8:17 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by TriToy

do I really need a tour of transition??????? figured when I drop my bike I would scope out swim in, bike out bike in and run out

You don't "need" a tour, but it's helpful for some people to understand how the transitions are organized and where run in/out and bike in/out. Since there are two transition areas it's a little different for both. You've done a million races and you're familiar with Riverside Park, so you'll be able to figure it out from the info in the athlete's guide and by walking around the transition areas, but for first-timers or people who aren't as familiar with the area, it's helpful.

2013-07-10 9:16 AM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
kewl

do we bike and run up the same hill? nm just saw in athlete's guide we bike up to the 79th st traffic circle

Edited by TriToy 2013-07-10 9:18 AM
2013-07-10 11:10 AM

User image

okay so this might be a silly question BUT it's my first time doing this race - is anyone going to transition on race morning too. One of my friends said that he just set every thing up on saturday when he dropped off his bike and other gear and left it there and on race morning went straight to the swim start. Honestly, I like the sound of this - more sleep for me!

What does everyone else do?
2013-07-10 11:36 AM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

kewl

do we bike and run up the same hill? nm just saw in athlete's guide we bike up to the 79th st traffic circle

So now you want a preview of the tour?

No, the run out is up the short, steep hill that leads to the 72nd street entrance of Riverside Park (the one with the dog run and the little tunnel). Bike out is further north, at 79th St. You go clockwise around the traffic circle when you head out onto the course, then you come back in through the same circle and make a left down into the park. If you're in Red Transition, your T2 is right as you enter the park, if you're in Yellow Trnasition, you have to ride down the path and betweent the bathrooms and the playground into T2.
2013-07-10 11:40 AM
in reply to: hilltackler

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by hilltackler

okay so this might be a silly question BUT it's my first time doing this race - is anyone going to transition on race morning too. One of my friends said that he just set every thing up on saturday when he dropped off his bike and other gear and left it there and on race morning went straight to the swim start. Honestly, I like the sound of this - more sleep for me!

I know I'll be up at the crack of stupid anyway, so I plan to set up my transition on race morning.

Like I said earlier, for me, I'd be worried about dropping off my bike and run stuff on Saturday and then not even having a chance to check on it again until I showed up at T1 dripping wet, breathless from the 400y sprint from swim exit, with my wetsuit around my waist. I'm hardly obsessive-compulsive about my transition setup, but I at least want to know everything's where I put it before I head to the starting line.

And anyway, I kind of like the pre-race atmosphere. It helps get me psyched for the race. An extra hour of sleep isn't going to matter much to me.
2013-07-10 12:25 PM

Originally posted by jmk-brooklyn

Originally posted by hilltackler

I know I'll be up at the crack of stupid anyway, so I plan to set up my transition on race morning.

Like I said earlier, for me, I'd be worried about dropping off my bike and run stuff on Saturday and then not even having a chance to check on it again until I showed up at T1 dripping wet, breathless from the 400y sprint from swim exit, with my wetsuit around my waist. I'm hardly obsessive-compulsive about my transition setup, but I at least want to know everything's where I put it before I head to the starting line.

And anyway, I kind of like the pre-race atmosphere. It helps get me psyched for the race. An extra hour of sleep isn't going to matter much to me.

Ditto. I"ll be going to transition first to setup my gear, and using the mile walk to get a little warmed up and relax.

2013-07-10 12:36 PM
in reply to: VGT

User image

Champion
Chicago

If it's hot I'm going to take it easy on the run. If it's hilly I'm going to take it easy on the bike. If it's in the Hudson I'm going to take it easy on the swim. My legs hurt, my arms hurt, my head hurts, my stomach hurts, some dude hit me in the water, my bike is slow, my shoes are slow, it's too hot, it's too cold, I totally cramped, I couldn't see very well, some yahoo cut me off, it was crowded, it wasn't crowded enough, I was sandbagging, I stopped to chat with my friends, there was a dog on the course, I got lost, JMK tripped me, TriToy was yelling at me, my wife wasn't where she said she'd be, which totally threw me off.

OK now that I have all my excuses out of the way for my slow time, let's get this party started. I'm No. 4273.
2013-07-10 12:45 PM
in reply to: mr2tony

User image

yeah, I think I'll do better going there in the morning and setting up, making sure the tires are still full, grab the ole wetsuit and body lube and then head over to the swim start. Shouldn't take long and will give me a chance to walk off any jitters.
2013-07-10 12:51 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Originally posted by mr2tony

If it's hot I'm going to take it easy on the run. If it's hilly I'm going to take it easy on the bike. If it's in the Hudson I'm going to take it easy on the swim. My legs hurt, my arms hurt, my head hurts, my stomach hurts, some dude hit me in the water, my bike is slow, my shoes are slow, it's too hot, it's too cold, I totally cramped, I couldn't see very well, some yahoo cut me off, it was crowded, it wasn't crowded enough, I was sandbagging, I stopped to chat with my friends, there was a dog on the course, I got lost, JMK tripped me, TriToy was yelling at me, my wife wasn't where she said she'd be, which totally threw me off.

OK now that I have all my excuses out of the way for my slow time, let's get this party started. I'm No. 4273.

Yeah, I did. And I'd do it again.
2013-07-10 2:31 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago

Yeah, I did. And I'd do it again.

Brooklynites are SO MEAN!

I'm just dropping my stuff on Saturday and sleeping til, like, 7. My wave will probably go closer to 8 so why get up any earlier, just truck it on over and dive in, cap color be damned!!!
2013-07-10 2:39 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

well duh I will yell at you - hopefully all good :p

I plan to set up my transition that morning, but I live on 81st and West End, so I will get up set up transition, go home get wetsuit etc then walk over to swim start

2013-07-11 12:14 PM

User image

Master
New Jersey
The other thing about setting up the night before....Last year, it was huge t-storms overnight!!! I had covered my bike with plastic bags and they were pools of water the next morning.
2013-07-11 12:45 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY

I plan to set up my transition that morning, but I live on 81st and West End, so I will get up set up transition, go home get wetsuit etc then walk over to swim start

That is so smart! If I decide to do the race next year, I'm totally going to buy a brownstone on Riverside drive so that I can do the same thing. Sure it'll probably run me a few million, but it's so much more convenient than taking the three train from Brooklyn at 4 in the morning.

(Actually, there was a guy on BT a few years ago who lived right near 72nd and Riverside. He said he probably has the award for "shortest distance from home to transition" of any person in any race anywhere in the world.)

Edited by jmk-brooklyn 2013-07-11 12:46 PM
2013-07-11 4:33 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

That is so smart! If I decide to do the race next year, I'm totally going to buy a brownstone on Riverside drive so that I can do the same thing. Sure it'll probably run me a few million, but it's so much more convenient than taking the three train from Brooklyn at 4 in the morning.

(Actually, there was a guy on BT a few years ago who lived right near 72nd and Riverside. He said he probably has the award for "shortest distance from home to transition" of any person in any race anywhere in the world.)

next year construction on my apartment will be done and you can stay over!
you would not want to now. no shower have to go to gym - and basically camping in the apartment. no kitchen, zippered plastic walls everywhere
2013-07-12 5:47 AM

And the weather continues to devolve. 87/73% and T-Storms.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2013 NYC Tri: Roll Call Rss Feed  

of 4