General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elevated MCV Blood levels/Anemia while training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-03 7:58 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: Elevated MCV Blood levels/Anemia while training?

Have any of you experienced problems with your blood levels while training?  Specifically MCV levels (either elevated or too low)?  I know this is a fairly common problem among triathletes.  My MCV levels have been elevated since August, even though I give myself shots of B12 (as prescribed by my doctor).  I'm looking for more information on the subject- specifically as it pertains to endurance athletes.  Thanks everyone!

2013-02-03 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4606237

Malvern, PA
Subject: RE: Elevated MCV Blood levels/Anemia while training?
Lots if things can cause this.

B12 shots only make sense if you have a low B12 level.

Take it out of the forum and up with your doctor.

If your regular doctor can't solve the issue, see a hematologist.

2013-02-03 4:18 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
MCV stands for mean corpuscular volume...it's the size of the red blood cells. So it's not really a "level" of anything, it's a measure of how well your red blood cells are building themselves. Greater than average size with anemia usuall means that they are not getting all the building blocks they need to rebuild themselves adequately, including but not limited to iron, folate and B12.

You have macrocytic anemia of which there are many causes, low b12 is only one. Your doctor needs to help further guide you in the cause of this and perhaps connecting with a physician or wellness center that also involves nutritionists who are versed in endurance sports.
2013-02-03 4:38 PM

Malvern, PA

If you are training intensely, you could have significant hemolysis which would cause a relative reticulcytosis and increase your MCV.  This would have to be confirmed with a retic count and a haptoglobin level.

But there are many, many, possible reasons why you could have this.  I only mentioned this one because it can be seen in endurance athletes.  It's pretty rare, though.

Go discuss it with your doctor.  You need some additional blood tests.  As I mentioned above, if your primary care doc can't solve this "problem," then you may benefit from seeing a hematologist.

99% of the time a good primary care physician can figure it out.

2013-02-03 4:44 PM
in reply to: #4606764

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
datlas - 2013-02-03 3:38 PM

If you are training intensely, you could have significant hemolysis which would cause a relative reticulcytosis and increase your MCV.  This would have to be confirmed with a retic count and a haptoglobin level.

But there are many, many, possible reasons why you could have this.  I only mentioned this one because it can be seen in endurance athletes.  It's pretty rare, though.

Go discuss it with your doctor.  You need some additional blood tests.  As I mentioned above, if your primary care doc can't solve this "problem," then you may benefit from seeing a hematologist.

99% of the time a good primary care physician can figure it out.

Yep...lots more pieces to the puzzle to sort out!! Thanks!
2013-02-03 7:34 PM

User image

Regular
Thanks everyone.  Obviously I am already working closely with my physician- just looking for more information specific to athletes, so I can bring that to my doctor's attention as well.  I appreciate the responses!

2013-02-03 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4606739

AdventureBear - 2013-02-03 4:18 PMMCV stands for mean corpuscular volume...it's the size of the red blood cells. So it's not really a "level" of anything, it's a measure of how well your red blood cells are building themselves. Greater than average size with anemia usuall means that they are not getting all the building blocks they need to rebuild themselves adequately, including but not limited to iron, folate and B12. You have macrocytic anemia of which there are many causes, low b12 is only one. Your doctor needs to help further guide you in the cause of this and perhaps connecting with a physician or wellness center that also involves nutritionists who are versed in endurance sports.
Iron deficiency is probably not the culprit, it usually shows up with a low MCV. Good luck!
2013-02-03 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4606966

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
rrr8400 - 2013-02-03 8:08 PM

AdventureBear - 2013-02-03 4:18 PMMCV stands for mean corpuscular volume...it's the size of the red blood cells. So it's not really a "level" of anything, it's a measure of how well your red blood cells are building themselves. Greater than average size with anemia usuall means that they are not getting all the building blocks they need to rebuild themselves adequately, including but not limited to iron, folate and B12. You have macrocytic anemia of which there are many causes, low b12 is only one. Your doctor needs to help further guide you in the cause of this and perhaps connecting with a physician or wellness center that also involves nutritionists who are versed in endurance sports.
Iron deficiency is probably not the culprit, it usually shows up with a low MCV. Good luck!

Yes, of course...that's microcytic anemia. I was just listing some of the building blocks of red blood cells.
2013-02-03 10:08 PM
in reply to: #4606894

Veteran
Indiana

qtzie - 2013-02-03 8:34 PM Thanks everyone.  Obviously I am already working closely with my physician- just looking for more information specific to athletes, so I can bring that to my doctor's attention as well.  I appreciate the responses!

You do kind of have a point, in that many clinicians (myself, sadly, probably included) can be a bit clueless when dealing with an athlete's problems.

Sadly, I have a lot more clinical experience and a lot more research telling me what to do with people who are sick and out of shape than I do for people who are already in the top 1%tile of health and looking to do better.

2013-12-09 12:43 PM
in reply to: qtzie

After a month of alcohol poisoning and malaria(It was my bad luck, they happened to me same night), my blood work came normal except mcv, which was 112. No body is giving attention to it. I am hitting GYM on time, running same distance. But wondering what would happen if that anemia which i am reading from past 5 days on internet, occured to me. Some have recommended B12 shots and folic acid, and told me to bring down extra physical stress, that is not going to happen for sure. My only focus is to get through all this without changing routine. I am 25 . 5'10. one more possible reason, i was on dieting before this malaria fever and A.Poisoning . Shed around 8 kgs in 6 weeks. After this only i started dairy products and still haven't reached on meat in my diet except for 5 eggs. I hope everything will be allright.
2022-09-11 7:57 AM

What was the outcome of this? I’m curious because I’m going through something similar now

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Elevated MCV Blood levels/Anemia while training? Rss Feed