General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Videos Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-02-03 2:04 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: Training Videos
I recently purchased an iPad and am interested in trying some of the videos out there to break up the monotony of long indoor rides.  Anyone have any opinions on Spinverals, Sufferfest, etc? 

2013-02-03 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4606557

User image

Subject: RE: Training Videos
I  have spinervals, but haven't seen other videos to compare. I get a good workout. My favorite is the Ironman Wisconsin preview. I also have a technique and a hill climbing one. They are helpful and it helps I don't have to think about what I'm supposed to be doing. They have visual clues so you can watch with the sound off and listen to your own music. 
2013-02-04 4:24 PM
in reply to: #4606557

User image

Regular
Look into trainerroad.com and sufferfest videos. They're awesome tools for your bike workouts.
2013-02-05 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4608316

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove

Me XMan - 2013-02-04 4:24 PM Look into trainerroad.com and sufferfest videos. They're awesome tools for your bike workouts.

This x10!! I bought a trainer in December, and getting on trainerroad was the first thing I did after I opened the box. It requires an ANT+ speed and cadence sensor and HR monitor and purchase of a Garmin ANT+ stick USB adapter, but plugs your speed into the computer and reliably converts it to watts based on your trainer. (or bluetooth capable if you own a Mac). I had some older cycling videos (Global Rides Hawaii and Italy) that I played along with Jorge's winter bike program. In mid-January I heard of something called "Tour of Sufferlandria" through the sufferfest videos. I was all in for anything that offered extra-special suffering (in a good way. I bought all of the videos (12 total) and completed the Tour this past week, which had us doing all 12 videos over 9 days. It was easily the hardest week of bike training I've ever done. I finished Sunday and will start riding again tomorrow. I plan to test my FTP again this week and let you know if there were any gains. There was an extensive thread on the triathlon talk page. At any rate, the Sufferfest videos are entertaining, and you don't necessarily need to be on trainerroad, as they offer RPE and cadence suggestions for each segment. They can be played on an ipad, but wouldn't sync with Trainerroad at this time. Trainerroad has also talked of developing an iphone/ipad app in the coming months, so that would be compatible with either the ANT+ system or bluetooth. 

If you're into numbers, I'd definitely recommend trainerroad.com

Edited by rdailey1 2013-02-05 9:07 PM
2013-02-06 8:57 AM
in reply to: #4610393

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
rdailey1 - 2013-02-05 9:06 PM

Me XMan - 2013-02-04 4:24 PM Look into trainerroad.com and sufferfest videos. They're awesome tools for your bike workouts.

This x10!! I bought a trainer in December, and getting on trainerroad was the first thing I did after I opened the box. It requires an ANT+ speed and cadence sensor and HR monitor and purchase of a Garmin ANT+ stick USB adapter, but plugs your speed into the computer and reliably converts it to watts based on your trainer. (or bluetooth capable if you own a Mac). I had some older cycling videos (Global Rides Hawaii and Italy) that I played along with Jorge's winter bike program. In mid-January I heard of something called "Tour of Sufferlandria" through the sufferfest videos. I was all in for anything that offered extra-special suffering (in a good way. I bought all of the videos (12 total) and completed the Tour this past week, which had us doing all 12 videos over 9 days. It was easily the hardest week of bike training I've ever done. I finished Sunday and will start riding again tomorrow. I plan to test my FTP again this week and let you know if there were any gains. There was an extensive thread on the triathlon talk page. At any rate, the Sufferfest videos are entertaining, and you don't necessarily need to be on trainerroad, as they offer RPE and cadence suggestions for each segment. They can be played on an ipad, but wouldn't sync with Trainerroad at this time. Trainerroad has also talked of developing an iphone/ipad app in the coming months, so that would be compatible with either the ANT+ system or bluetooth. 

If you're into numbers, I'd definitely recommend trainerroad.com

Too bad you can't plug a USB stick into an iPad, which is what the OP has.  Although do you think the Mac bluetooth compatability includes the iPad? Or just a Macbook?  It's an unfortunate problem with the iPad...

Ryan - you sound kind of crazy in your dedication to the trainer/trainerroad!

2013-02-06 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4610849

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
BikerGrrrl - 2013-02-06 8:57 AM
rdailey1 - 2013-02-05 9:06 PM

Too bad you can't plug a USB stick into an iPad, which is what the OP has.  Although do you think the Mac bluetooth compatability includes the iPad? Or just a Macbook?  It's an unfortunate problem with the iPad...

Ryan - you sound kind of crazy in your dedication to the trainer/trainerroad!

I've been hearing that a lot lately, Emily! I think it's the numbers thing for me. Tracking heart rate has been fine and worked well for me over the last 2 years. I averaged 22.5mph at LTF oly last year, and over 20mph in both HIM I did, and that was all HR based training. The prior year (my first doing tris), I was happy to break 20 in a sprint. Obviously we'll see how this year goes, but having the instant feedback of watching that power on the screen provides a lot of motivation to get on the trainer. If it motivates me to get on the trainer and get the T.I.T.S. (time in the saddle) to improve my cycling, then it's a good thing. Now if they only had something similar for running...

As far as the Mac question, trainerroad is run from a separate application (much like powerpoint or word is a separate app), and not through an internet browser window. I think that's why they don't currently have compatibility with the ipad. Nate (the guy from trainerroad on BT) has said they're working on the ipad/iphone apps, but haven't had time to dedicate to it as they have been working out the bugs in the main program and the custom workout creator (which is also a fun tool with trainerroad, BTW...)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Videos Rss Feed