US Road Sports & Entertainment of Florida, LLC
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 38m 16s
Overall Rank = 1947/3787
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 254/434
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at about 4:30 and had some coffee and a bagel. Did some light warm ups in the room and left for the start line about 5:30. Ate a banana and had some Gatorade on the walk.

This was a nice change from the last 2 times I've run this race. We normally stay in SoBe so we have to take the shuttle to the start line in downtown. In years past this has meant getting up before 3 AM to catch the shuttle. This year however, doing the race was an add on to an already planned trip to Florida, so we got a hotel for the night about 10 blocks from the start line!

My wife decided in November that she wanted to run this race, after a sub-par performance at the Marine Corps Marathon. We were already planning to visit her folks and found out after the fact that the race was the weekend we were going to be in town. She's attempted this race twice already and DNS'd once because of a surgery a few weeks before the race and moved down to the half the other time due to some lingering injuries that killed her training, so Miami has become her "nemesis marathon". Her goal going into this race was to run 4:30 and I was going to be her personal coach/pacer!
Event warmup:

Walked to the start line from the hotel and did some light stretching. That was really about it.
Run
  • 4h 38m 16s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to pace miles right around 10:00 even, knowing that 10:15 would put us at 4:30. Every other mile we'd take short walk breaks for fluids and the occasional gel.

The race started out well and we were chugging along right on pace. Most miles were coming in right around 10:00 or a bit under with every other mile being 10:20 or bit more for the fluid/gel breaks. I felt pretty confident for the race since the wife looked pretty strong and was keeping an easy pace with me. We came though the half mary point at a little over 2:13 so I felt pretty good at that point.

With 15,000 half mary runners the race really changes at the half way point. What was 18,000+ runners for the first 13 miles is now down to a little over 3,500 runners... much different feel. I was a bit worried about this because my wife really feeds off the energy of the crowds. But it didn't seem to affect her too much, we were still on pace doing well. The next 5 miles (13-18) all came in at an average of 10:17. The only problem was that by 17 or 18 she was starting to struggle. The sun was out in full now and the temps were in the upper 70's. We both knew that finishing wasn't a concern at all, that would happen, but her goal of 4:30 was starting to come into doubt.

Mile 19 was 11:07, and mile 20 was 11:04. Doing some quick math in my head I figured that all was not lost, but we would have to get back to 10:15-20 if we had any chance of doing 4:30... the last two miles ate up any cushion we would have had. Unfortunately it was not to be, the wife didn't have any more umph left in her and she was content to run as well as she could to get to the finish.

The remaining miles were all in the 11:30 range, but we kept running and still managed to finish in 4:38... nearly 22 minutes faster than her MCM 3 months earlier and finally slaying her nemesis marathon!
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. I think that we paced well, took in the right amount of fluids and nutrition. A bit cooler temps, and maybe a little more time to prepare and I think she would have met her goal.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit, did some quick stretching on site and then walked back to the hotel. Had to hustle, since we needed to shower real quick and check out by 12:30. Not the best post-race warm down, but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A bit of the heat and a little lack of proper preparation.

Event comments:

A fun race overall. This is my third time doing this one and will likely do it again. My wife finally got the full in the books after her two previous attempts, so that in itself is a win.

Last updated: 2012-12-10 12:00 AM
Running
04:38:16 | 26.2 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 254/434
Overall: 1947/3787
Performance: Good
Average HR 135 Laps 9:45-10:20 for first 18, 11:00+ the rest of the way
Course: Pretty darn flat.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2013-02-04 8:46 AM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: ING Miami Marathon

2013-02-04 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4607377

Expert
Subject: RE: ING Miami Marathon
Nice job. I think you have a future in coaching?
2013-02-04 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4607377

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: RE: ING Miami Marathon
Great job and it sounds like a fun race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ING Miami Marathon Rss Feed