General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Steelman 2013 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-02-04 11:44 AM

Malvern, PA
Subject: Steelman 2013

The website gives the date of August 11, 2013, but when I click on the "sign up" link it directs me to the 2012 signup which has obviously passed.

Anyone know when you can sign up??

2013-02-04 2:24 PM
in reply to: #4607782

User image

Veteran
Broomall, PA
Subject: RE: Steelman 2013
just says, "open early 2013", so I'm not sure when that will be. I'll be in for Olympic distance once it opens.
2013-02-05 7:58 PM

Malvern, PA

Thanks, I will stay tuned.

It will be my first Oly event.  I am looking forward to it.

2013-02-06 6:10 AM
in reply to: #4610314

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mount Joy
Yeah just keep checking back occasionally. Sometimes they take a little to update everything. I know the RD and swam with his son so Ill shoot him a note to see if I can get an update. Count me in for the Oly as well. 
2013-02-06 6:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Broomall, PA
it doesn't sell out in a hurry or anything so you have time. Pretty sure i signed up in June last year.
2013-02-06 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
I signed up in July last year. I'll be there again this year!

2013-05-10 1:31 PM

New user

Just registered today! This will be my first Triathlon, I figured a local sprint would be a good way to start. I'm very excited, just purchased my first decent road bike as well! I have a background in swimming, took up running about 2 years ago, and the biking will have to develop over the next 2 months. This website has been a great resource.
2013-07-05 9:11 AM
in reply to: torio27

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Looks like I am most likely in for the Sprint. I just got a wetsuit yesterday. Have an OWS set up for 2 weeks from now. Wondering if the swim will be wetsuit legal. Also, being only my second race ever (sprint tri / pool swim) back in April, if it is wetsuit legal, can I assume that I would benefit time wise from wearing the wetsuit even though its only a 850 yard swim? I have heard that i can cut somewhere around 5-10 seconds per 100yds from your swim pace. Seems to me that it would be worth it to wear it then?
2013-07-05 10:17 AM
in reply to: spiderjunior

User image

Pro
Originally posted by spiderjunior

Looks like I am most likely in for the Sprint. I just got a wetsuit yesterday. Have an OWS set up for 2 weeks from now. Wondering if the swim will be wetsuit legal. Also, being only my second race ever (sprint tri / pool swim) back in April, if it is wetsuit legal, can I assume that I would benefit time wise from wearing the wetsuit even though its only a 850 yard swim? I have heard that i can cut somewhere around 5-10 seconds per 100yds from your swim pace. Seems to me that it would be worth it to wear it then?

If you can get your wetsuit off in less time than you would spend if you didn't wear it, then yes

Was at Nockamixon with the family yesterday getting sunburned and fishing on the lake. Such a nice venue for a race. First time I've been there in 30 years for something other than a tri/du!
2013-07-08 7:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

I don't believe it was wetsuit legal last year, nor would I anticipate it to be this year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
2013-07-08 9:06 PM
in reply to: japewang

User image

Veteran
Broomall, PA
Originally posted by japewang

I don't believe it was wetsuit legal last year, nor would I anticipate it to be this year. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope thats right for last year and likely this year....if your not a technically good swimmer than yes, 5-10 seconds a hundred is possible. It would be less for a strong swimmer, but there is still always a benefit.

2013-07-09 9:29 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Thanks for the replies. I pulled the trigger and signed up today. Have about 3 chances to get in some OWS practice before the race. I saw on the website that if the water is above 78 degrees you can still wear a wetsuit but you just won't be eligible for prizes. I am pretty confident that I won't podium, so I am thinking i might actually want to wear the wet suit still. Am I going to one of only a few people with a wetsuit on, or are there still a bunch of people that wear them. If I'm going to be only one of a few, I'll probably just go without it

Edited by spiderjunior 2013-07-09 9:40 AM
2013-07-09 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Broomall, PA

Thanks for the replies. I pulled the trigger and signed up today. Have about 3 chances to get in some OWS practice before the race. I saw on the website that if the water is above 78 degrees you can still wear a wetsuit but you just won't be eligible for prizes. I am pretty confident that I won't podium, so I am thinking i might actually want to wear the wet suit still. Am I going to one of only a few people with a wetsuit on, or are there still a bunch of people that wear them. If I'm going to be only one of a few, I'll probably just go without it

exactly, greater than 78 wetsuits are not legal but are allowed. Above 84 degrees and you're not allowed to wear one.

I think when people hear "wetsuits are not legal", they assume you cannot wear one. So for instance, last year there were 549 people who completed the sprint, only 10 wore wetsuits, even though you were definitely allowed. Only difference is, your results don't show up in the interactive list with everyone else. there are separate "persons wearing wetsuit result"
2013-07-09 12:53 PM
in reply to: MFConlon

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Originally posted by MFConlon

exactly, greater than 78 wetsuits are not legal but are allowed. Above 84 degrees and you're not allowed to wear one.

I think when people hear "wetsuits are not legal", they assume you cannot wear one. So for instance, last year there were 549 people who completed the sprint, only 10 wore wetsuits, even though you were definitely allowed. Only difference is, your results don't show up in the interactive list with everyone else. there are separate "persons wearing wetsuit result"

Thanks. Wow, thats crazy. Only 10 out of 500+ people wore the suits. Interesting. I guess I would fall into the group of people that just decided to go without the suit then. Kind of the fun for me is looking at all the times of people around me and see how I compared and if wearing the suit would put me on a list with only 10 people then I would probably just opt to not wear one. Have to play it by ear. Thanks again for the clarification
2013-07-09 5:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Broomall, PA

Thanks. Wow, thats crazy. Only 10 out of 500+ people wore the suits. Interesting. I guess I would fall into the group of people that just decided to go without the suit then. Kind of the fun for me is looking at all the times of people around me and see how I compared and if wearing the suit would put me on a list with only 10 people then I would probably just opt to not wear one. Have to play it by ear. Thanks again for the clarification

Do whatever you are most comfortable with. I am a strong swimmer and had planned on wearing a wetsuit to last years Steelman. This was my first tri and first open water swim, so I just stuck with my game plan and wore the wetsuit.
2013-07-10 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
For anyone that hadn't yet registered. Got an email from the RD today stating on 100 slots left.

2013-07-10 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA

Do whatever you are most comfortable with. I am a strong swimmer and had planned on wearing a wetsuit to last years Steelman. This was my first tri and first open water swim, so I just stuck with my game plan and wore the wetsuit.

Thanks. I will bring the suit with me for sure and play it by ear. Who knows, maybe my OWS practice won't go well and I'll need to use the suit anyway. Hopefully thats not the case though
2013-07-30 8:47 AM

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA

Well, I had my first OWS this past Saturday. It went pretty well, but I have changed my mind and think that I will opt to wear the suit regardless of whether or not the race is wetsuit legal or not. It is mainly for safety reasons. I am not expecting to podium so I don't really care about any time advanctage, but what I do care about is making it out of the water safely.
2013-07-30 2:24 PM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

As an FYI, there is more to it than just how your results are listed. Between 78 and 84 you can wear a wet suit but will not be eligible for awards. I did Quakerman in Nockamixon in 2011, missed my AG podium by less than 90 seconds. Close enough in the hunt for me to not wear the wet suit over 78 degrees. YMMV

4.4 Wet suits. Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wet suit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees, but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wet suit at their own discretion, provided however that participants who wear a wet suit within this temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Age group participants shall not wear wet suits in water temperatures equal to or greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit. The wetsuit policy for elite athletes shall be determined by the USAT Athletes Advisory Council. The AAC has set the wetsuit maximum temperature for elite athletes at 68 degrees for swim distances less than 3000 meters and 71.6 degrees for distances of 3000 meters or greater.
Any swimmer wearing a wetsuit with a thickness measured in any part greater than 5 millimeters shall be disqualified.
2013-07-30 6:58 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Veteran
Broomall, PA
Originally posted by mrbbrad

As an FYI, there is more to it than just how your results are listed. Between 78 and 84 you can wear a wet suit but will not be eligible for awards. I did Quakerman in Nockamixon in 2011, missed my AG podium by less than 90 seconds. Close enough in the hunt for me to not wear the wet suit over 78 degrees. YMMV

4.4 Wet suits. Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wet suit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees, but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wet suit at their own discretion, provided however that participants who wear a wet suit within this temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Age group participants shall not wear wet suits in water temperatures equal to or greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit. The wetsuit policy for elite athletes shall be determined by the USAT Athletes Advisory Council. The AAC has set the wetsuit maximum temperature for elite athletes at 68 degrees for swim distances less than 3000 meters and 71.6 degrees for distances of 3000 meters or greater.
Any swimmer wearing a wetsuit with a thickness measured in any part greater than 5 millimeters shall be disqualified.

we know and the OP was aware. He had stated he has zero chance of a top age group finish. So as far as the difference to a back/middle of the pack triathlete, the only difference is not being listed with everyone else.
2013-08-06 11:49 AM

User image

Exton, PA
Usually this is not a wet suite legal event. I think this year will be my 7th time doing it and only once were wet suites allowed. With that said it most likely will be wet suit legal this year, water temp is low and air temp is low this week

Keep in mind that wearing a wet suit when water temps are over 78 is dangerous! people have heat strokes from this, this is one why Ironman dropped their cutoff down to 76°F

2013-08-06 12:42 PM
in reply to: mike761

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs

Originally posted by mike761 Usually this is not a wet suite legal event. I think this year will be my 7th time doing it and only once were wet suites allowed. With that said it most likely will be wet suit legal this year, water temp is low and air temp is low this week Keep in mind that wearing a wet suit when water temps are over 78 is dangerous! people have heat strokes from this, this is one why Ironman dropped their cutoff down to 76°F

Anybody see last night's email? RD is almost guaranteeing wet suit legal.

2013-08-06 8:29 PM
in reply to: mrbbrad

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Yup. Got the athlete note and looks like its going to be wetsuit legal. I'm still going to forgo the suit as I have later season races that will definitely be non wetsuit that I need to get more of a feel for.
2013-08-07 7:40 AM
in reply to: japewang

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
I saw the note as well. This actually works out great for me, since I was only able to get one OWS in before this race. I will definitely be wearing mine. Plan is to be very conservative on the swim and then try to kill myself on the bike and run This is my second race ever and my first race I felt like I held back too much, I think because of nerves. After the swim, I plan to go all out on this one. Good luck to all you other racers on here. Have fun
2013-08-07 8:35 AM
in reply to: datlas

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Have any of you pre-rode the course, or done Steelman in the past that you have a Garmin file you'd be willing to share?

One of the other Associate Coaches with Steel City Endurance has an athlete who is nervous about the ride, so she'd like to show her a Garmin file from the bike course compared to training rides she's done to reassure her that she's prepared.

Thanks.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Steelman 2013 Rss Feed  

of 2