Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Can anyone explain the it's "her day" concept in wedding? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-02-05 3:50 PM
in reply to: #4608751

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Can anyone explain the it's "her day" concept in wedding?

my cheap wedding was my second but my husband's first.  We had been together 12 years before we decided to make it 'official' and really it was more because it made it easier for me to get my Australian visa as he has a passport!

BUT the day was about us celebrating those 12 years with people that were there when we met on that island 12 years earlier - friends flew in from Texas, California, New York and UK.

My first wedding was the 'little girl's dream wedding' - my parents paid $10,000 for it and it was the 'perfect' day full of relatives I'd never met before nor will again.... 

I enjoyed my second wedding much more.

2013-02-05 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4608972

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
gr33n - 2013-02-05 7:57 AM
trigal38 - 2013-02-05 1:46 PM

mehaner - 2013-02-05 6:31 AM if it was "my day," there wouldn't have been a wedding.  i would have eloped on the beach in puerto rico!

x2 to this. Our wedding day was one of the most uncomfortable days of my life. My dress was itchy, I had 100 bobbie pins sticking in my head, everyone staring at me all day, tapping glasses so I have to kiss in front of everyone and don't even get me started on the dollar dance.  Nothing against my hubby, family or friends of course but how does anyone think this is fun?

Sorry but the question begs to be asked- why do it ? Its what's expected ? or for family ? or tradition ? When I got married my wife and I started down the big wedding path. 2 weeks into it she said don't think so. We ended up having a very small, immediate family only, very nice wedding. Not to mention the cost savings which basically is enough for a downpayment on a house these days....

I am with the other girls  I would have loved a small, destination wedding - i am not even into weddings a little bit - but we had about 80-90 people in more traditional ceremony/reception sort of thing because even though it's supposedly 'my day' we did want to share it with our families and for whom our small 'away' wedding wouldn't be feasible for them to attend.  Even so, we held it to be what we considered to be middle ground - it was still 'away' for most of our family but with more 2000km separating our families we had to compromise somewhere - but my oma could attend without serious hardship.

So, in the end it was less about us and more about sharing the day with our family and friends.  We had a great time - it was a great day!

Edited by juniperjen 2013-02-05 4:01 PM
2013-02-05 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4609077

User image

Bronze member
mehaner - 2013-02-05 8:10 AM
kevin_trapp - 2013-02-05 8:57 AM

Yep.  My six year old niece has weddings with her stuffed animals, or makes her dad marry her in the living room.  My six year old son likes to see what fits up his nose.  

i don't disagree with you, but i wonder how this starts??  i played plenty of barbies and baby dolls growing up, but i don't remember ever playing wedding.  sometimes my barbies got married, maybe?  i don't understand WHERE little girls even get this idea in the first place.  (and don't get me started on the weird princess obsession, i know exactly how that starts!)

also, little girls are probably smarter than little boys, regarding the "things in nose" phase

My daughter is 4 - we went to a wedding and after that she started playing wedding all the time at home.

2013-02-05 7:32 PM
in reply to: #4608972

User image

Bronze member
gr33n - 2013-02-05 6:57 AM
trigal38 - 2013-02-05 1:46 PM

mehaner - 2013-02-05 6:31 AM if it was "my day," there wouldn't have been a wedding.  i would have eloped on the beach in puerto rico!

x2 to this. Our wedding day was one of the most uncomfortable days of my life. My dress was itchy, I had 100 bobbie pins sticking in my head, everyone staring at me all day, tapping glasses so I have to kiss in front of everyone and don't even get me started on the dollar dance.  Nothing against my hubby, family or friends of course but how does anyone think this is fun?

Sorry but the question begs to be asked- why do it ? Its what's expected ? or for family ? or tradition ? When I got married my wife and I started down the big wedding path. 2 weeks into it she said don't think so. We ended up having a very small, immediate family only, very nice wedding. Not to mention the cost savings which basically is enough for a downpayment on a house these days....

That was the type of wedding I was exposed to so I followed tradition. Also, having never been a bride before I really did not have a concept of how it feels to be the bride or how uncomfortable I would be. If I could do it all over I would not have the same type of wedding.

2013-02-06 12:28 AM
in reply to: #4608751

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg, MS
My neighbors are getting married this summer and they made a plan which seemed pretty smart.  They decided for the immediate families to get together and go down to the court house for the ceremony.  Then with the money saved from a big wedding they would have a nicer honeymoon.  Then when they got back the leftover money they would just have a huge party and invite everybody.  
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Can anyone explain the it's "her day" concept in wedding? Rss Feed  

of 3