in reply to: #4611864

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
Subject: RE: Drone Strikes on Americans OK
riltri - 2013-02-06 5:02 PM
moneyman - 2013-02-06 5:23 PM
powerman - 2013-02-05 9:48 PM

These are attacks carried out abroad. But it is still B.S. to me. Either I am a citizen afforded my constitutional rights, or I am not. "IF" the Federal government lawyers came up with some loop hole as to how they can justify executing an American citizen without due process and not violate a plethora of laws... then it needs to be sealed. As an American citizen, I do not want my Government to have such power.

The Constitution means something... or it means nothing. 

I am not suggesting I agree with the drone strikes, but the government does not need a loophole. 

Even though you are a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, if you point a gun at a police officer, they can use deadly force without a warrant, arrest, or a trial.  If you present an immediate threat, they can execture you.  Nothing new there.

What the government is arguing with the drones is that senior al-Qa'ida members believe to be involved in planning attacks on the U.S. present an immediate threat and can be exectued, regardless whether or not they are U.S. citizens.  The government isn't suggesting the constitution doesn't apply to the subjects of a drone attack, just that they present an immediate threat, and if they can't be captured, they can be neutralized.

Has the US officially declared war against al-Qaida and are the members of al-Qaida defined as enemy combatants?

I don't believe we have OFFICIALLY declared war on anyone since Germany and Japan in December 1941.

The DOJ memo takes that position that al-Qaida members are enemy combatants and that al-Qaida is at war with the U.S.

2013-02-06 6:18 PM
in reply to: #4611832

User image

Elite
moneyman - 2013-02-06 4:23 PM

These are attacks carried out abroad. But it is still B.S. to me. Either I am a citizen afforded my constitutional rights, or I am not. "IF" the Federal government lawyers came up with some loop hole as to how they can justify executing an American citizen without due process and not violate a plethora of laws... then it needs to be sealed. As an American citizen, I do not want my Government to have such power.

I am not suggesting I agree with the drone strikes, but the government does not need a loophole. 

Even though you are a U.S. citizen on U.S. soil, if you point a gun at a police officer, they can use deadly force without a warrant, arrest, or a trial.  If you present an immediate threat, they can execture you.  Nothing new there.

What the government is arguing with the drones is that senior al-Qa'ida members believe to be involved in planning attacks on the U.S. present an immediate threat and can be exectued, regardless whether or not they are U.S. citizens.  The government isn't suggesting the constitution doesn't apply to the subjects of a drone attack, just that they present an immediate threat, and if they can't be captured, they can be neutralized.

Ya.. there are actually laws on the books defining that... murder, attempted murder, and conspiracy to commit murder.

Since when has anyone been given the right to execute anyone "thinking", planning or maybe might murder someone. It isn't "self-defense" from an immediate threat, and it's B.S. If you have them on surveillance, then you have them.

And this isn't on American soil.

2013-02-06 6:20 PM
in reply to: #4611882

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
moneyman - 2013-02-06 6:16 PM
riltri - 2013-02-06 5:02 PM
moneyman - 2013-02-06 5:23 PM

Has the US officially declared war against al-Qaida and are the members of al-Qaida defined as enemy combatants?

I don't believe we have OFFICIALLY declared war on anyone since Germany and Japan in December 1941.

The DOJ memo takes that position that al-Qaida members are enemy combatants and that al-Qaida is at war with the U.S.

The geneva convention term if I recall was "Unlawful Combatant". 

2013-02-06 6:47 PM
in reply to: #4611884

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
powerman - 2013-02-06 5:18 PM

Ya.. there are actually laws on the books defining that... murder, attempted murder, and conspiracy to commit murder.

Since when has anyone been given the right to execute anyone "thinking", planning or maybe might murder someone. It isn't "self-defense" from an immediate threat, and it's B.S. If you have them on surveillance, then you have them.

I am mainly trying to summarize the U.S. government's argument.  I think it is important to be clear what the breadth of the power that the Obama administration claims is.  You are free to call B.S. on their arguments if you choose.

The U.S. hasn't decided that it can kill someone solely for thinking about or planning to murder.  They only say it is constitutional to kill someone who is a senior member of Al-Qaida involved in planning attacks.  They consider Al-Qaida to be a military group at war with the U.S. with a history of committing murder.  They consider drone strikes to be equivalent to military actions against an enemy, not an exercise of police power.

2013-02-06 6:52 PM
in reply to: #4609215

User image

I am betting the Japanese-Americans were sure glad FDR didn't have drones when government officials determined that they were an imminent threat.
2013-02-06 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4611917

User image

Elite
moneyman - 2013-02-06 5:47 PM
powerman - 2013-02-06 5:18 PM

I am mainly trying to summarize the U.S. government's argument.  I think it is important to be clear what the breadth of the power that the Obama administration claims is.  You are free to call B.S. on their arguments if you choose.

The U.S. hasn't decided that it can kill someone solely for thinking about or planning to murder.  They only say it is constitutional to kill someone who is a senior member of Al-Qaida involved in planning attacks.  They consider Al-Qaida to be a military group at war with the U.S. with a history of committing murder.  They consider drone strikes to be equivalent to military actions against an enemy, not an exercise of police power.

How many senior Al-Qaida members are U.S. citizens? We actually have a law for that too...it's called treason. It's even a capital offense, after due process. You are either a citizen covered under the Constitution, or you are not.... there is no grey area there with BS terms of comatant and terrorists which have no legal standing and were made up to get around certain rules. It is either a law enforcment problem, or it is a war problem, and there are laws governing both.

2013-02-07 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4609912

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE
GomesBolt - 2013-02-05 2:55 PM
mr2tony - 2013-02-05 2:03 PM
GomesBolt - 2013-02-05 1:10 PM

mr2tony - 2013-02-05 10:35 AM If the government wants you dead, you're dead. They don't need a drone to kill you.

The government's not that good.  They've been chasing that Bourne guy for 3 full feature movies without catching him and now there's another one of them...

They can catch Bin Laden in the backwoods of Pakistan but can't catch Jason Bourne at Waterloo Station in London?

And stop complaining. You're just mad because your guy isn't around to renege on his campaign promises.

I'm not complaining at all.  I support the Global War on Terror and I have no idea what to do about Gitmo.  I wouldn't close it because what would you do with those people?  If Obama really hated America, he'd release those people.  He doesn't hate America.

As for Drone Strikes on US Citizens.  This has to do with Americans who become members of AQ.  I would support drone strikes on them televised as a warning to other wackos.  If Obama really hated America, he'd do these drone strikes without discussing his authority to do so.  He doesn't hate America.

I think we're also pretty naive to believe that we're not doing enhanced interrogations.  If anything, we aren't because the Israeli/Saudi/Kuwaiti/Turkish/Polish/Hungarian intelligence official is the one doing it, we're just in the room while that guy is asking the questions we want asked.  After the interrogators give up on them, we send them to Gitmo for 3 hots and a cot. I believe we're doing this and the administration is being quiet about it. See no evil, speak no evil.

So how does one legally become a member of AQ?  On your next trip overseas if I call the government and tell them that I saw you on an AQ website trying to create an account are you ok when them killing you and your family even though I'm totally making it up?
This is the issue with no due process, we're "trusting" the government to make decisions based on intelligence, but often the intelligence is somebody telling somebody about somebody they heard talking about this one friend of his.  Now obviously I'm exaggerating but when we're talking about killing American citizens abroad I strongly oppose this.

2013-02-07 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4613015

User image

Champion
Chicago
tuwood - 2013-02-07 12:24 PM

mr2tony - 2013-02-05 10:35 AM If the government wants you dead, you're dead. They don't need a drone to kill you.

The government's not that good.  They've been chasing that Bourne guy for 3 full feature movies without catching him and now there's another one of them...

They can catch Bin Laden in the backwoods of Pakistan but can't catch Jason Bourne at Waterloo Station in London?

And stop complaining. You're just mad because your guy isn't around to renege on his campaign promises.

I'm not complaining at all.  I support the Global War on Terror and I have no idea what to do about Gitmo.  I wouldn't close it because what would you do with those people?  If Obama really hated America, he'd release those people.  He doesn't hate America.

As for Drone Strikes on US Citizens.  This has to do with Americans who become members of AQ.  I would support drone strikes on them televised as a warning to other wackos.  If Obama really hated America, he'd do these drone strikes without discussing his authority to do so.  He doesn't hate America.

I think we're also pretty naive to believe that we're not doing enhanced interrogations.  If anything, we aren't because the Israeli/Saudi/Kuwaiti/Turkish/Polish/Hungarian intelligence official is the one doing it, we're just in the room while that guy is asking the questions we want asked.  After the interrogators give up on them, we send them to Gitmo for 3 hots and a cot. I believe we're doing this and the administration is being quiet about it. See no evil, speak no evil.

So how does one legally become a member of AQ?  On your next trip overseas if I call the government and tell them that I saw you on an AQ website trying to create an account are you ok when them killing you and your family even though I'm totally making it up?
This is the issue with no due process, we're "trusting" the government to make decisions based on intelligence, but often the intelligence is somebody telling somebody about somebody they heard talking about this one friend of his.  Now obviously I'm exaggerating but when we're talking about killing American citizens abroad I strongly oppose this.

Remember the `American Taliban' that was captured in Afghanistan? If he would've been shot by U.S. troops, would you have a problem with that?

Personally, if we have good intelligence that an American is a top member of AQ and is planning an attack on American soil, I have no problem taking him out. He's just another `enemy combatant' at that point.
2013-02-07 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4613046

Master
, California
mr2tony - 2013-02-07 10:44 AM

Remember the `American Taliban' that was captured in Afghanistan? If he would've been shot by U.S. troops, would you have a problem with that? Personally, if we have good intelligence that an American is a top member of AQ and is planning an attack on American soil, I have no problem taking him out. He's just another `enemy combatant' at that point.

We had "good intelligence" that there were WMDs in Iraq too

2013-02-07 1:21 PM
in reply to: #4613087

User image

Champion
Chicago
spudone - 2013-02-07 1:06 PM

Remember the `American Taliban' that was captured in Afghanistan? If he would've been shot by U.S. troops, would you have a problem with that? Personally, if we have good intelligence that an American is a top member of AQ and is planning an attack on American soil, I have no problem taking him out. He's just another `enemy combatant' at that point.

Touche.
2013-02-07 1:29 PM
in reply to: #4613103

User image

mr2tony - 2013-02-07 1:21 PM

Touche.

I can confirm that there were at least 2 storage areas of chemical weapons.  Saw them with my own eyes (through a gas mask of course).

Those are WMD right?

But not "vast stockpiles." 

I'll stipulate to that fact.

2013-02-07 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4613119

User image

Champion
Chicago
GomesBolt - 2013-02-07 1:29 PM

Touche.

I can confirm that there were at least 2 storage areas of chemical weapons.  Saw them with my own eyes (through a gas mask of course).

Those are WMD right?

And you didn't say anything? You could've saved your boy Bush a lot of grief!
2013-02-07 2:13 PM
in reply to: #4613127

User image

mr2tony - 2013-02-07 1:33 PM

Those are WMD right?

It was on the cover of Wash Post! 

I didn't find it, I was inventorying it with my EOD team.  X Drums of Yellow Crap, X Drums of Green Crap, etc.

There's also a chemical factory in Al Qaim that produces all of the ingredients of mustard gas.  Anyone who was stationed there gets a special page in their medical records for tracking like Agent Orange.

Edited by GomesBolt 2013-02-07 2:28 PM
2013-02-07 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4613195

User image

Champion
Chicago
GomesBolt - 2013-02-07 2:13 PM

Those are WMD right?

I didn't find it, I was inventorying it with my EOD team.  X Drums of Yellow Crap, X Drums of Green Crap, etc.

There's also a chemical factory in Al Qaim that produces all of the ingredients of mustard gas.  Anyone who was stationed there gets a special page in their medical records for tracking like Agent Orange.

I bet you have lots of `special' pages in your medical records.

Edited by mr2tony 2013-02-07 2:28 PM
2013-02-07 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4613223

User image

mr2tony - 2013-02-07 2:27 PM
GomesBolt - 2013-02-07 2:13 PM

Those are WMD right?

I bet you have lots of `special' pages in your medical records.

There's one that says "What were we thinking allowing this guy to lead troops?"

2013-02-07 6:56 PM
in reply to: #4613195

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky

GomesBolt - 2013-02-07 3:13 PM

Al Qaim

IHTFP

2013-02-08 1:13 AM
in reply to: #4609386

Left Brain - 2013-02-05 10:37 AM

Yeah, but still........being wacked by a drone for no reason....that's pretty cool!

You said "Being wacked by a drone"   insert Beavis laugh now

2013-02-08 10:24 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Keep thinking back to the Terminator movies.  Just waiting for the drones to become self-aware and start taking us all out.

Mark

2013-02-09 5:14 PM

User image

Expert
North Cackalacky

Oh, and we're totally watching all of you right now.

Stop that.

No, not you.

You.

Quit it.

That's gross.

2013-02-09 6:06 PM

User image

Elite

...The Onion is breaking the story we all feared:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/sweating-obama-admits-drone-strikes-have-been-happ,31219/

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Drone Strikes on Americans OK Rss Feed  

of 3