IronMan USA
HOTF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 44m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 2:30 for my 3am feeding. I knew there was no way I would get back to sleep. Got dressed, loaded my stuff into the car, and headed out for the transition area. Got there early, which is good, because I'm type A like that ;-) Was one of the first through body marking, put my nutrition on the bike, checked tire pressure, and let the waiting begin.
Event warmup:

About 6:30 I took one last leak and tried to get through the crowd, across the timing mat, and onto the beach, but it took a good 20 minutes to get through the line. While I was waiting I zipped up my wetsuit and had a gel. Then I could feel a breeze across my back and realize my zipper had come undone. Fantasy- (to self) "No bigee, I'll just find Liz on the beach and have her re-zip." Reality- "Holy $h!t. My zipper broke?! It's f-in 6:58 f-in am. F. Quick, I've got tape in my special needs bag. Wait! you- special needs guy with the packing tape. Tape me up!" This was followed by a dash down to the water to get wet before the cannon went off. Splashed around a bit, amid the stares. Walked out of the water, and "BOOM"!
Swim
  • 1h 24m 27s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m / 100 yards
Comments:

Once I got in the water I was fully expecting the tape to come undone. Fortunately, it held. Although it did leak like a sieve (sp). I lined up waaay to the outside trying to avoid the crush. It seemed to work pretty well. I sighted off a sailboat by the turn bouy which brought me in a bit closer than I wanted to be, so I did some "excess contact" around the first bouy. Lesson learned. Once we made the first turn we were directly into the sun, and despite tinted goggles, I couldn't see anything so I just followed the crowd. As I was nearing the shore on lap 1, I put my face back in the water and saw this HUGE shark looking monster blowing bubbles right below me. It was a diver waving at me. As my HR climbed down from the stratasphere I almost laughed, which almost unseated my goggles. That would have sucked. Out of the water, across the mat, back in the water, out for loop 2 (which was fairly benign), and out with a time of 1:24. 6 minutes faster than my target and amid "imperfect conditions". So far, so good.
What would you do differently?:

Not break my wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 09m 54s
Comments:

I got out of the water and ran up to the strippers. Imagine their surprise when I show up looking like a fedex package. It took them a good 5 minutes to find something to cut the tape with. Whoda thunk they'd need a boxcutter?

Heh.
Bike
  • 6h 55m 2s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.19 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out the bike nice'n easy. My strategy was to ride the first loop one gear lower than I felt I could go, and then take it from there. My nutrition was a combination of Accelerade (for the first 4 hours), e-Gels, clif blocks, enduralytes, and water. I ate and drank exactly on cue, and was feeling pretty good. For the hills, I sat up, slid my butt back, dropped my heels, and spun my easiest gear. I remember on the first real climb, about 25 miles in to the ride, some guy passes me while standing, dripping sweat, and huffing an puffing. No idea what this guy was thinking, but I passed him back about 20 miles later- he was spent. I executed my bike plan perfectly- the only issue that I can't figure out (I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the 100 deg heat) was that I was constantly taking "comfort breaks". I have a baby bladder to begin with, but it has never been like this before. My official time was 6:55. My actual riding time... 6:34- exactly what I wanted to ride. I spent 21 minutes either on line for, or in the "you know what". Gonna have to figure this one out.

Not pee so damned much.
Transition 2
  • 06m 46s
Comments:

Off the bike, into the tent, cycling stuff off, change socks and shoes, grab some water and more sunscreen, and I was off.

Nada
Run
  • 6h 08m 45s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

All was progressing according to plan...until I hit mile 4 of the run. As an aside, as I came out of the neigborhoods onto the long straight next to the lake all I saw were hundreds of people walking. Hardly anyone running. Strange (insert ominous foreshadowing music here). I went to take my next gel (according to the plan), and the second it touched my tongue my throat closed, I began to gag, and my stomach turned. To self- "Self, this isn't good". I have no idea what happened, but over the course of 2 or 3 minutes my stomach just shut down. The only thing I could get in was a bit of chicken broth and water. I tried the coke- couldn't get it down. Cookies- nope. Pretzels- nah. It went on like this for miles. Running made me nauseus so I just kind of walked/shuffled until I felt like I coud run a bit, then ran util I though I was going to throw up, then went back to the walk shuffle. Strange things started going through my head. I never doubted my will to keep going, but for a while I wondered if I was going to get pulled from the course for any reason. I stopped at my run special needs and started digging through the bag. I couldn't find anything I wanted (I don't even know what I was looking for?) so I just decided to change my socks. I have no idea why I did this. I stopped at every aid station to drink, grab sponges, put ice in my hat/down my shorts (it was mid-upper 90's) and once again, I was peeing like a banshee. I lost another 20 minutes on the run alone. It went on like this until mile 19 or so. The sun started to go down, the temp was cooling off, and I was finally able to get the coke down. By mile 20 I was feeling better. By 21 I was able to run again. I ran the last 5 miles stopping only to grab more coke at the aid stations. Around mile 24 I could hear Mike Reilly and the finish line. I was being careful not to let it get to my head. I came back from one bonk, which I hear is pretty rare, and I didn't want to have to deal with it again. I turned down the main street and I could see the lights of the finish. I took all of the gels/tabs/whatever out of my pockets and threw them in the trash. I couldn't slow my legs down. The crowd was nearly deafening. I ran the last mile in 8 minutes. Quite a change from the previous 25. Somehow my daughter popped out of the crowd with about 200yds to go and ran across the finish with me. It was AWESOME. I can't remember ever feeling that totally spent and elated at the same time.

Not bonk.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit and ate pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and my nutrition issues. I think the heat caused my nutrition issues.

Event comments:

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff, so check back often for updates :-) The people and volunteers of Coeur d'Alene were incredible. I honestly can't say enough about them- they made the race for me. Every time I would thank someone for doing something for me, they would say something like "No, thank you for doing this/coming here/inspiring/etc us". It was truly a pleasure to do my first IM surrounded by such wonderful people.

That being said, the heat was a huge factor for me. I had a mental goal of somewhere between 12:30 and 13:00. I could not have prepared any better and I honestly think if the temp was down and I didn't spend 45 minutes in the restroom/getting wetsuit stripped I would have made it. I couldn't be happier with my performance. I made the best of the hand I was dealt and finished strong. They don't call it the "IronMan" for nothing, and if it wasn't this tough it wouldn't be worth what it is.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:24:27 | 4224 yards | 01m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full, with packing tape :-)
Course: 2 loop counter clockwise rectangle.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 09:54
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:55:02 | 112 miles | 16.19 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: 2 loops, 4 climbs per loop, 2 of those "significant"
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 06:46
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:08:45 | 26.2 miles | 14m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops out along the lake. They had a sick sense of humor, putting the turn around halfway up a rediculous hill :-)
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-07-01 9:50 AM

Master
Colorado
Subject: IronMan Coeur d'Alene

2006-07-01 10:09 AM
in reply to: #471715

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: IronMan Couer d'Alene

Great job overcoming the sheer panic of a busted zipper on the wetsuit.   Now I know why people say to have duct tape in their bags.

Besides having a baby bladder, I would think that having to pee alot, meant that you were getting enough fluids.

Great job.   IRONMAN....

2006-07-01 10:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM

Stake - just awesome man!  I really admire you for sticking it out, especially after reading your RR!  Amazing how you overcame the wetsuit debacle and bounced back from the bonk on the run.

I followed you and FlyBoy using the IMCDA athlete tracker well into the evening, but fell asleep before you crossed the finish line.

I'm registered for IMCDA 2007, so I can learn a lot from your RR.  Not sure how I'll prepare for the heat/nutrition issues you experienced.  Look forward to hearing your stories at the next DC Tri Club HH.  And I WILL be there.

Loved all the pictures and your RR.  Hope you had a good vacation with your daughter.

2006-07-01 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Great job Mike!  I really like the statement that you rode your bike leg exactly by the plan.  Nice job!  I watched the clips of everyone's finish last night for some much needed motivation...your finish was great!  Nice job!

(although, if you go back & watch/listen to it, you may not want to hear them say congrats to the NAVY pilot that finished right before you!)...just sayin'....I am sure if I had been out there with you, I would have been well behind you!!!  You did a great job under extreme conditions!!!

CONGRATS!!!

2006-07-01 11:06 AM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: IronMan Coeur d'Alene

Awesome job, Ironman.  Excellent work sticking right with the plan for the bike - it's got to be tempting to do more than you should.  On the heat, there's just not much you could have done to get ready for it short of moving to Cuba over the winter I think - we just haven't had the temps for heatproofing.

I've also added duct tape to my transition bag. 

(And you thought you wouldn't have to worry about sharks being in Idaho.

2006-07-01 12:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Coeur d'Alene, ID

Stak-

Pleasure meeting you and Chippy!  Great job in the light of difficulties.  Know what you mean on crossing with the kids!  Both boys crossed with me.  Take care and come back soon.  Katie said to tell you hello!

2006-07-01 3:03 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome job   I hope you had a great time
2006-07-01 3:14 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by oneword 2006-07-01 3:16 PM
2006-07-01 3:35 PM

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID

Mike, congratulations on finishing on a tough, tough day.  And thanks for pulling me along on the bike for a bit too.  I was feeling pretty mentally beat about then but just having someone to hang with for a few minutes made a big difference.

One thing's for sure, the next one just CAN'T be as hot as this one was!  Can it???  Congrats again...enjoy the afterglow!

2006-07-01 3:40 PM

Pro
Evanston,
Congratulations Ironman!!! It's good to see how you stuck to your plan, but still took it in stride the moments your day veered off the script. Great job!
2006-07-01 3:44 PM

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Terrrific job. Reading these reports is so scary. I really admire your guts for pushing through the digestive issues, heat, etc. Congrats

2006-07-01 4:24 PM

Expert
New Orleans

Awesome job! Great race report, and you did a kick azz job making the best of the hand you were dealt. Congratulations Ironman!

Funniest thing I read today:  "... so I just decided to change my socks. I have no idea why I did this."

2006-07-01 4:44 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great job buddy! Wonderful meeting you and Liz! Glad we rode the run course. If I had been more lucid on the run, it would have helped.
2006-07-01 4:45 PM

Master
Pulaski TN
Great job seeing through with the fed ex issue!! Congrats Ironman!
2006-07-01 5:06 PM

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I think that was pretty good - the way you dealt with your issues and just kept trucking.  Sounds like you were a little out of it for a while there on the run.  (Fun reading.

Good job!

2006-07-01 5:50 PM

Master
Boston
Wow, what made you think to put packing tape in your special needs bag?? Bet you're glad you got that. Whew. That's amazing the tape didn't break open. You should write the manufacturer of the tape and tell him how you used it to tape your wetsuit. I bet they'd find it amusing- maybe they'd give you a years' worth of packing tape or something cool like that. Great pics! CONGRATS Ironman!

2006-07-01 7:27 PM
in reply to: #471890

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC

Congratulations, Mike! Well done!!!

(I think the stock in duct tape companies just went up )

Your race and RR is a great lesson in how to deal with unexpected things, and how to persevere through rough situations.

The volunteer was right, thank you for your inspirtion.  

2006-07-01 7:29 PM

Champion
MA

Congrats Ironman!

Wow to have your wetsuit zipper break, come up with a solution, and get to the start on time and go on to have an awesome race...is remarkable!

Great job on following your bike plan...and figuring out how to keep going in the brutal heat!

2006-07-01 8:22 PM

Master
La Crosse
In the voice of Clint Eastwood as Gunnery Sgt. Tom 'Gunny' Highway in Heartbreak Ridge:

"Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

(get-photo.asp.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
get-photo.asp.jpg (96KB - 55 downloads)
2006-07-01 10:40 PM

Master
Plant City, FL

Congratulations Mike on an awesome race!!  Way to overcome the wetsuit issue too!  Glad you found someone to get you outta it....Trixie and I musta looked the other way when you came in!!

2006-07-02 7:38 AM

Expert
Texarkana, TX
"It was AWESOME. I can't remember ever feeling that totally spent and elated at the same time."

That is the essence of Ironman. You're awesome!

2006-07-02 8:19 AM

Expert
Lakeville, MN

congratulations on finishing and becoming an Ironman...you are an inspiration to me

Benihana

2006-07-02 8:31 AM

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Forget the time ... it is how you handled the adversity of the day and overcame what was thrown at you to finish - and finishing with a solid 8:00/mi is pretty dang awesome.

Way to go, Ironman.

2006-07-02 11:59 AM

Awesome job and an awesome RR!  I actually got butterflies when I read that your zipper was done with just minutes to go...Great recovery   Sounds like you had a tough day out there but never gave up.  Congratulations, Ironman!

Ivan

2006-07-02 3:51 PM

Queen BTich

Why didn't you just pee on the bike? Wash it off with water from the aid stations. You would have saved so much time, just ask Jess.

Great job Ironman.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » IronMan Coeur d'Alene Rss Feed  

of 2