General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Start Running After 40, More Harm Than Good Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2013-02-07 1:18 PM
in reply to: #4612354

Expert
Subject: RE: Start Running After 40, More Harm Than Good
I admire physicians for the schooling they have and the work they(most) do. They are not the be-all, know -all of physiology, aging, nor medicine for that matter. I call BS. Go for it!

2013-02-07 3:47 PM

I started running (well, shuffling) at 39. Never ran more than a mile at once before that, and that was maybe twice. Now 47, have completed 7 sprint tris and 4 15Ks. (soon to be 5 on March 9). No injuries.

I followed a good training plan and set reasonable goals. I am healthier and happier than I was before running. I hate to run, but love the way it makes me feel when I'm done and I absolutely fell in love with triathlon.

I think Docs (and others) just assume lots of things that aren't true about people over 40. I hate when I hear someone saying they can't so it because of their age. Use it or lose it!

2013-02-07 9:10 PM

Veteran
sacramento, Colorado
Here's a wacky idea...ask your wife to ask the doctor why she believes that.
2013-02-07 9:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
The key to this question is in the first sentence.  Retirement facility...physician on staff.  Not exactly a brain surgeon if you know what I mean.  More of a pill dispenser with a hot sports opinion than a definitive source for advice on running.

Edited by FranzZemen 2013-02-07 9:36 PM
2013-02-07 9:58 PM

User image

Elite

I started running on my 41st birthday.  I'm a late starter, had my daughter at 40!

I've run two marathons, done Oly, HIM and in 6 weeks hope to do an IM.

My doc thinks I'm slightly crazy but admires it all (he's an avid cyclist) - he said just listen to your body, pay attention to niggles and injuries and fuel your body with the best.

My boss is an ex Ironman ex marathon runner just had his second hip replacement - he said he ran his whole life but HARD - he said back then they had no idea about correct footwear, pacing, building volume - they just went hard and long.  I've been running a fraction of the time he did....i'm hoping my knees and hips will give out when I'm over 80 and won't care.

With the information available to us today we should do ok.

2013-02-07 10:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

I'm hesitant to call myself a runner but I'm 62 and started running 1.5 years ago after watching an IMCanada.  (Never ever ran before - since 1964!)

As mentioned a couple times above being older I am careful to increase very slowly and much less than 10%.  But as I was reading all the responses it occured to me that my personal MD knows I run, bike and swim.  I swim with an MD twice a week and he knows I run and bike as well.  And, the bike group (for older fellows - that I can't keep up with) I sometimes ride with has many MDs who run, swim and bike as well.  (I find this all kind of funny because I'm a retired Chiro and they all know this as well).

None of them has ever quoted any research to suggest that what we're doing is anything we shouldn't be doing.

2013-02-07 11:01 PM

User image

Master

My husband is 43. For years the only time he ran was a few weeks before the big, annual physical fitness test for the military. Last year was put on medication for high blood pressure. In October he decided he wanted to train and run a marathon. He had about a month before an 18 week training program was to start. I put him on a training schedule for that month to get him ready for the marathon training, so he eased into it, and follows a novice plan for the marathon he wants to run.

He does complain of soreness in the legs, but he foam rolls and recovers in compression tights. He follows the schedule and hasn't missed a single run. He doesn't do anymore than run and takes his rest days very seriously.

He's off of his blood pressure medication now, has lost 15 pounds (he started at 175 at 5''10"), and hasn't snored like a freight train in months!

He is looking healthier and feeling better than he has in years. I think for him, it's doing him so much more good.

It's also helped that have changed the way we eat at home. Revamped the menu to include more of the good stuff, a lot less of the bad stuff.

Edited by Blanda 2013-02-07 11:10 PM
2013-02-08 6:41 AM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
I don't know how much credence I would put in the opinion of one individual, be it a medical professional or not.

We live in a time where it is very easy to educate yourself thoroughly on pretty much any subject ... that's normally the route I take rather than believing one person who was most likely just shooting from the hip or expressing a rather uneducated opinion.

Be smart, do it right and you'll be fine.
2013-02-08 6:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
My doc told me he wont recommend running to anyone over 25.  Ive been on the bike and in the pool for the last 3 years due to running injuries that won't heal so.. Maybe statistics about half of all runners getting injured each year play into their recomendations.  But then cyclists and swimmers have significant bone density loss in comparison, etc etc..
2013-02-08 7:04 AM

Veteran
41° 4' 36" N 71° 56' 10" W
Not sure you will find a good study that really isolates 40+ and segments the population into those with pre-existing conditions, and type.

A world-renowned cardiologist at the Mayo Clinic once advised me that the benefits of exercise (even if it meant additional specific risks), far outweighed the the overall risks of continuing to live the life of a couch potato.

Thats said, some people that I know can't run and should not...bad knees, bad hips, bad back. Running will only aggravate an existing condition. I feel for them.

It comes down to how badly they want to run, and how important is it for them.

Me, I have my own fears. I practically live for the weekends when I get up pre-dawn and get ready to do 10-13 miles of running or 40-50 miles of biking. Sometimes I need a little advil later in the day, but I love it. I hope I am not doing any damage. I know there will come a day in my life when I can't do this.
2013-02-08 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4612527

User image

Expert
jbholcom - 2013-02-07 9:47 AM

Bodaggit - 2013-02-07 9:28 AM Is the doc in question fat?  That would play into his/her own rationalization issues.

This doc is a black female, younger, tall, and slender.  Not want I expected.

Ask the doctor to provide her own documentation to back up her claims. 

2013-02-08 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4613958

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

JohnP_NY - 2013-02-08 8:04 AM Not sure you will find a good study that really isolates 40+ and segments the population into those with pre-existing conditions, and type. A world-renowned cardiologist at the Mayo Clinic once advised me that the benefits of exercise (even if it meant additional specific risks), far outweighed the the overall risks of continuing to live the life of a couch potato. Thats said, some people that I know can't run and should not...bad knees, bad hips, bad back. Running will only aggravate an existing condition. I feel for them. It comes down to how badly they want to run, and how important is it for them. Me, I have my own fears. I practically live for the weekends when I get up pre-dawn and get ready to do 10-13 miles of running or 40-50 miles of biking. Sometimes I need a little advil later in the day, but I love it. I hope I am not doing any damage. I know there will come a day in my life when I can't do this.

That's definitely one of my motivations as I get older.  I'm going to be 60 in May and in the back of my mind I know there will come a day when I won't be able to do this stuff any longer.  Hopefully that day is a still long way off, but I still know it is coming.  I have other less strenuous hobbies that I can pursue, but I'll miss the endorphin rush.

Mark

2013-02-08 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4612374

User image

Regular

Oysterboy - 2013-02-07 5:25 AM I think you have to be smart about it as, at least for me, I heal and recover slower as I age.  Other than that, I think that is misguided advice.  Remember 50% of MDs graduated in the bottom half of their class.

As I used to say in the medical profession. What do you call a person who graduated med school or passed state exam with lowest score? Doctor. Been around quite a few misguided idiots.

2013-02-08 9:03 AM

User image

Expert
Wish you would have told me sooner. I didn't start running until I was 49. I did have issues in the first year, especially IT band issues. Since I have pretty much been fine, just normal aches and pains.

Multiple spints, Oly's, 8 HIM's and 2 IM's later I'm still running.

I do rest when needed!
2013-02-08 9:26 AM

User image

Regular
North Carolina
No offense but I think that doctor is FOS.  I'm 56 started running, biking, swimming, kayaking, hiking, weight lifting re enjoying life at 55 and I'm living proof that the health benefits of running/exercise far outweigh any negatives.  The first day I started running, I couldn't run to the end of the block without stopping to rest. With a caveat.....you have to be smart about it, know and understand your limitations and set realistic goals and understand that you're not as fast, limber as you once were, and there's lots of miles on those old joints, takes a bit longer to recover.   I would never recommend to anyone thats a 40+ couch potato to start a vigouroos exercise program without seeing a doctor first to make sure it's safe to run.  I started my journey at 351 pounds, 173 today and I accomplished it through changing my eating habits and exercise.    My doctor seems to be happy, my pharmicist is p*ssed since I'm not buying all those meds anymore to keep my heart in my chest.
2013-02-08 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4612427

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA

RRH_88 - 2013-02-07 6:05 AM Don't believe it for a minute, I didn't start to run untill I was 50. Provided you take the appropriate measures before starting and get checked over and then take a very easy progressive approach to it I certainly think that you would be hard pressed to be Less healthy after starting running.

^^^^^^^^^^^  THIS  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Also, please notice my autosignature.  "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert."  The science fiction writer Arthur C. Clarke said that, along with more famous quotes, but I like this one for an autosignature because at least 20% of the threads on this board involve experts (self appointed, quoted, or otherwise) contradicting each other.  Like most boards, in fact.

2013-02-08 9:57 AM
in reply to: #4612536

User image

Veteran
Smithfield, VA

I started running shortly before my 40th birthday, as my mid-life crisis.  I had some medical issues early in running, obviously from doing too much too soon.  I had an Ortho take x-rays of my knees and he commented on what excellent shape they were in. 

That's what nearly 40 years of being a couch potato will do for you:  Turn you into an obese, diabetic with rampent cholesterol issues... but you'll have great knees.

I like to think I'm smarter about running now and have a much better understanding of my limitations.  I love running, and try to do a little every day.  I like how it makes me look and feel. 

Though my wife occasionally complains about my spending habits on shoes, gear, gels, etc... I remind her that it's much cheaper than the diabetes medication I used to have to take every day.  (Except for the bike... that did cost more.)

Edited by mandsberry 2013-02-08 9:59 AM
2013-02-08 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4614226

User image

NH

Bull - 2013-02-08 10:26 AM I started my journey at 351 pounds, 173 today and I accomplished it through changing my eating habits and exercise.    My doctor seems to be happy, my pharmicist is p*ssed since I'm not buying all those meds anymore to keep my heart in my chest.

Wow, that's impressive!  Great job.

I started running at 47, and 3 1/2 years later my doc keeps insisting he use my story with his patients who refuse to exercise but insist on trying to overcome aging and unhealthy lifestyle with drugs.  Not all doctors are trying to keep us on drugs and are against exercise.  Of course, the room for error is smaller as you get older, so building slowly, paying attention to niggles, getting rest, and eating healthy are more important.

2013-02-08 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4614309

User image

Veteran
Dallas
mandsberry - 2013-02-08 9:57 AM

I started running shortly before my 40th birthday, as my mid-life crisis.  I had some medical issues early in running, obviously from doing too much too soon.  I had an Ortho take x-rays of my knees and he commented on what excellent shape they were in. 

That's what nearly 40 years of being a couch potato will do for you:  Turn you into an obese, diabetic with rampent cholesterol issues... but you'll have great knees.

I like to think I'm smarter about running now and have a much better understanding of my limitations.  I love running, and try to do a little every day.  I like how it makes me look and feel. 

Though my wife occasionally complains about my spending habits on shoes, gear, gels, etc... I remind her that it's much cheaper than the diabetes medication I used to have to take every day.  (Except for the bike... that did cost more.)

That is what we need more of in our society. Medical costs (direct and indirect) are going to ruin us a country if more people do not do the above. Let food be thy medicine (and exercise....in Hippocrates time exercise was just daily activities I am sure).  One of the great things for me about "finding" triathlon is that it made me appreciate the one body I was given and that I need to take care of it. Most of us do not need pills, we need the advice and support to eat better and move more. Triathlon gave me that incentive. Great work!!!

2013-02-08 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
2013-02-26 7:52 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
rhondagraymond - 2013-02-26 8:11 AM

There's nothing wrong with  beginning any exercise regimen at the age 40. You're never too young or old to begin exercising! Just remember to take it slowly in the beginning and don't overtire yourself. A good warm is a must. My fatty (boyfriend Tongue out) realized the importance of exercise a bit late in life! Lack of physical activity tanked his testosterone levels. He was telling me about the negative effects of testosterone from Ageless Male reviews. Like a woman can't tell! Now he is using a dietary supplement, trying to improve his diet, and signed up for a gym. Better late than never.

http://supplement-geek.com/ageless-male-review-resettin-testosterone-mytosterone-alpphastat/

Rhonda,  this is at least the 3rd post you've made in the last day promoting this supplement in response to unrelated threads.

Since this stuff sounds like the answer to everything, and everything on the internet is true, I'm going to go out and buy a bunch of it, because I'm confident it will make the difference to allow me to qualify for Kona.

And, Google says you're promoting it all over the internet, not just here on BT:

http://bwambohealth.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-concept-of-low-sex-drive-in-men.html

http://maleenchancementproducts.blogspot.com/2012/10/does-ageless-male-work.html

http://health-tips-for-every-one.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-low-down-on-male-enhancement.html

http://menenhancers.blogspot.com/2013/01/best-penis-enlargement-pills-how-to.html

http://wealthproccess.blogspot.com/2013/02/foods-that-enhances-your-libido.html

and the list goes on...

Edited by TriMyBest 2013-02-26 8:06 AM

2013-02-26 8:31 AM

User image

Signal Mountain, Tennessee

To add fuel to this ridiculous fire, I've been dealing with ITBS.  I told my wife I'd rather be injured and healthy than die of cardiac arrest at the age of 55 sitting on the couch.

I plan on bringing her to a few local races to see all of the different ages, shapes, sizes, and abilities.  That might be the only way I convince her that her running is a good thing.

2013-02-26 12:54 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY

that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard

clearly that doctor is not an athlete.

I started tris at 45 to be an example to other physicians and to patients

feel better than I ever have and now I am 50

2013-02-26 1:17 PM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Read the book, "Younger Next Year."  Fabulous.  And it deals with all sorts of exercise related issues for aging athletes.  And after you read it, it sounds like you should give a copy to your doctor!
2014-03-16 7:32 AM

As an Osteopathic Physician, I get excited when a 40 some year old woman starts running. It helps menopausal symptoms, stress management and it is cheap and easily accessible for most. Listening to your body, starting off slow and Balance is key. Balanced joints dont get hurt. My ladies that come to see me hurt after a year or so of running mostly have a functional short leg, tightness of lateral structures etc. so go see an Osteopathic Physician who actually practices manipulation >90% of the time quarterly for preventive medicine... Of course we always discuss proper nutrition as well
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Start Running After 40, More Harm Than Good Rss Feed  

of 3